First look at turbo 2.0L for next Type R (and presumably Si)

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
I don't think CAI's on turbo cars generally do as much anyway. Once the air is compressed it heats up much more anyway. The temperature of the compressed air is about the same if the CAI only makes the intake air 20degF cooler... now if you can make it maybe 60 deg cooler then we're talking, but otherwise the true gains tend to be more from improved flow (at the cost of increased noise) more than the colder intake temps.
This is different in NA cars. In NA cars, the colder air isn't being heated by compression so it does do better to resist detonation. One problem - higher flowing intakes tend to have slightly more laminar flow which is NOT good for fuel evaporation- another reason a tuned car will use slightly more fuel.
I'm no expert by any means - I only took 1 class in Internal Combustion Engines and a good portion of that was spent calculating displacements and thermal efficiency in turbines or in closed systems, not necessarily how to get MAX POWER from our traditional 4 cycle engines.
Having the intake directly above the turbine like it is however, will greatly reduce the efficiency of the compressor versus if the compressor could draw air from ambient. This civic will heat soak alot, IMO. That intake pipe will be HOT after running the engine hard. End of the day not a deal breaker.... Just seems weird. Maybe they didnt have the space.
Sponsored

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Having the intake directly above the turbine like it is however, will greatly reduce the efficiency of the compressor versus if the compressor could draw air from ambient. This civic will heat soak alot, IMO. That intake pipe will be HOT after running the engine hard. End of the day not a deal breaker.... Just seems weird. Maybe they didnt have the space.
Yeah it'll definitely heatsoak. Hopefully the Intercooler is up to the task!

Grambles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic Si
I'm out of my league here, but is it possible that this is part of a wet sump system?
Secondary reservoir is a dry sump system.

But in this case it appears to be an external transmission cooler.

I know but they're MadJDMCool SuperTyteYo!!! Hahaha!!!!

Seriously though if it sounds as nice as some of the ST's I hear running around here, I'll be good with that. You can hear the BOV vent back to the suction side of the turbo but it doesn't whistle like a HKS SS-BOV or RFL or anything like that. Sounds great! I wonder how it will be cat-less!
Follow the 9thgen Type R and you'll get a great idea of the sound. Pretty good stuff.

Exhaust will be totally different however.

Notice the aluminum casting and cooling fins.

I would assume it had a lot to do with how they Tetris the engine in there. Remeber this is still a K20 at its core. A lot of the geometry and construction is already there.

And it also depends on the supplier used for the turbo.

It is very large. Check it out on the current gen. It makes the 1.5T look like a stick.

Grambles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic Si
As for a CAI, an intake both helps and hurts a turbo engine. Too much free air creates a light feeling from the motor. Too much restriction feels just like that. There's quite a happy medium.

But if you tune it totally changed.

Check my write up I did here:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44138

The stock box actually felt great in terms of drive ability, but the aftermarket just felt better for spool and peak power

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
It won't heat the air charge as much as one might think it would, otherwise they'd design intercoolers as just a single hollow aluminum tube :) For peace of mind though, I'd probably do a thermal barrier coating on the exhaust housing as well as the heat shields.

Grambles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic Si
It won't heat the air charge as much as one might think it would, otherwise they'd design intercoolers as just a single hollow aluminum tube :) For peace of mind though, I'd probably do a thermal barrier coating on the exhaust housing as well as the heat shields.
Mod #1

Starting list now.

Drilling out the fender ducts for better cooling would be another on that list

limitedslip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Si coupe, 13 Si coupe, 10 Si Coupe
btw ... the 2.0t makes use of a cooled exhaust manifold .. not sure the finned tube is chanelled but i assume it does not get soaked to that extent

Grambles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic Si
Having the waste gate essentially be a linear actuator with no VAC lines and a small control bar puts the control right at the spot. It eliminates a lot of loss typically seen in a vac based system.

Given the signal, there is now loads of ability to tune the wastegate to drive ability the response that the engineers are looking for. This is not a new thing in the OEM turbo world.

This is all being done on the current 9th gen motor. Just waiting for someone to crack the software encryption.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe the Honda 2.0T parts will bolt on our 12-15 Si 2.4 motor

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
That would be great but I doubt it. The new one has the direct injection, rotates the opposite direction (I think- or maybe the difference is the exhaust comes out the front again now ) not 100 on this don't quote me!

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How do you figure??? Your k24 is mounted the opposite way to the new K20c. Also the engines will be built with differently.... Unless you mean you want a custom job.... Maybe possible... It wont be as easy as a "bolt on" however.

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. It is a little bit of a shame IMO. Hopefully it isnt too bad. But I will be interested to test the temperatures of the turbo inlet piping at different time intervals with a heat gun after doing a few pulls.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Most turbo cars these days are surprisingly efficient at dissipating heat. On the MS3, for example, the engine bay is basically one giant vacuum at anything above 5 mph. Air is channeled through the RAI & grill and out the rear midpipe opening; cooling the IM, battery, and exhaust in the process. Shield wraps around the TIP, IC, and other intake hardware improved BATs by less than 1* on average. And modifying the venting/undertray resulted in reduced fuel economy with no change in BATs.

Not saying we can't do more to minimize heat soak. But I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see modest improvements to an already efficient design (whatever that might be for the 2.0T).

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag

limitedslip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Si coupe, 13 Si coupe, 10 Si Coupe
more low end response can be had from the 2.4L block ... rumours are about this with 340+ hp and AWD
Sponsored