Grambles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic Si
It won't compete? It's bested some of the best Ring times just with FWD. and that's with a 3100lb chassis not optimally built for speed. The FK2 is great but it has many short falls that the 10thgen will make up for. I think a FWD record, 186mph top speed is nothing to scoff at.

I suspect sub 3000lbs (since the sedan and coupe already went on a diet). Same output from the K20C1 plus or minus 5hp. (Why fix something that isn't broke?) larger wheels to stiffen sidewalks. Better damping tech. Less "frills" such as lane keep, acc, crash mitigation to keep the weight down. I even suspect they'll toss the sunroof.

FWD with LSD is always an auto cross beast. I've taken RSxs around a course faster than many of these mustang people and plenty of AWD foes. I've beaten an Golf R in an Autocross Odyssey so the AWD VS FWD doesn't really matter.
Sponsored

waterman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Civic Si coupe, 2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Country flag
It won't compete? It's bested some of the best Ring times just with FWD. and that's with a 3100lb chassis not optimally built for speed. The FK2 is great but it has many short falls that the 10thgen will make up for. I think a FWD record, 186mph top speed is nothing to scoff at.

I suspect sub 3000lbs (since the sedan and coupe already went on a diet). Same output from the K20C1 plus or minus 5hp. (Why fix something that isn't broke?) larger wheels to stiffen sidewalks. Better damping tech. Less "frills" such as lane keep, acc, crash mitigation to keep the weight down. I even suspect they'll toss the sunroof.

FWD with LSD is always an auto cross beast. I've taken RSxs around a course faster than many of these mustang people and plenty of AWD foes. I've beaten an Golf R in an Autocross Odyssey so the AWD VS FWD doesn't really matter.
I assume that is why the 2016 Honda Global Rallycross Civic is AWD.
It must be that it is the only way a Civic can run with Ken Block's RS.
No matter how many specs you throw, AWD generates considerably higher levels of traction.
Honda Civic 10th gen First look at 2017 Civic Type R Hatchback Prototype! Spy pics upload_2016-3-23_9-53-5

*Please note the lack of 5 doors on this monster.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp.../?mag=rdt&list=nl_rdt_news&src=nl&date=032316

Grambles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic Si
Might want to rethink your logic. Rally-cross is not 100% pavement racing. It's not like people will take their Type R in the mud. Of course AWD will prevail, its low mu contact.

waterman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Civic Si coupe, 2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Country flag
Might want to rethink your logic. Rally-cross is not 100% pavement racing. It's not like people will take their Type R in the mud. Of course AWD will prevail, its low mu contact.
Logically...an AWD Type R would be faster at Nurburgring than a FWD Type R.

Grambles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic Si
Believe it or not they actually serve a purpose by improving aerodynamics. How much it does I dunno but you'll also see small fins/vanes on other things like airplane wings, on which they serve the same purpose of how air flows across the part that the fins are attached to.

Honda Civic 10th gen First look at 2017 Civic Type R Hatchback Prototype! Spy pics p343478134-4

Honda Civic 10th gen First look at 2017 Civic Type R Hatchback Prototype! Spy pics p343478134-4
The vortex generator is there to keep the flow directed into the wing for more down force. Since the roofline and spoiler distance are larger compared to the 9th gen model, you cannot keep making a taller wing due to downforce inefficiency.

By adding the vortex generator you "straighten" the flow and essentially aim it into the wing. Much more stabilization at speeds more than 50+

Fun to See Honda doing its own homegrown engineering for this car.

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
i hope the si or ctr come with a dct or cvt. Kind of like what the WRX did.

Grambles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic Si
I doubt it. Honda has a really good knack for keeping to their enthusiast roots for their performance models.

Type R. Definitely not. Talking with the engineers, they KNOW a DCT can give them better times and they still chose to use a 6MT because it is "more fun".

Si. Potentially, but it would be a Honda first for an Si. I couldn't imagine them dropping a CVT into it, which means a DCT would be exclusively developed for the Si. They're already too busy with the Civic project to do such a thug, by maybe a mid model refresh? Who knows.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I doubt it. Honda has a really good knack for keeping to their enthusiast roots for their performance models.

Type R. Definitely not. Talking with the engineers, they KNOW a DCT can give them better times and they still chose to use a 6MT because it is "more fun".

Si. Potentially, but it would be a Honda first for an Si. I couldn't imagine them dropping a CVT into it, which means a DCT would be exclusively developed for the Si. They're already too busy with the Civic project to do such a thug, by maybe a mid model refresh? Who knows.
They wouldn't have to develop a new DCT. Acura uses them and one of them could be used for the Si. Specifically the ILX version DCT which can already handle Si levels of power output.

Grambles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic Si
They wouldn't have to develop a new DCT. Acura uses them and one of them could be used for the Si. Specifically the ILX version DCT which can already handle Si levels of power output.
Oh there is definitely development. Most people think its a pick up and swap sort of deal.....but its far from it.

Not only is the 8DCT only on the K24, but everything about those cars have been tuned around it. NVH, Driving, Shifting, Engine dynamics, chassis development, etc. This alone is it's on model development. Not to consider that it has to be tacked on to an already huge development strategy by Honda R&D Americans and Honda R&D in Tochigi.

Doubtful. Even it if was offered.......I certainly wouldn't take it. But I'm a purist in the transmission aspect. To each their own.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh there is definitely development. Most people think its a pick up and swap sort of deal.....but its far from it.

Not only is the 8DCT only on the K24, but everything about those cars have been tuned around it. NVH, Driving, Shifting, Engine dynamics, chassis development, etc. This alone is it's on model development. Not to consider that it has to be tacked on to an already huge development strategy by Honda R&D Americans and Honda R&D in Tochigi.

Doubtful. Even it if was offered.......I certainly wouldn't take it. But I'm a purist in the transmission aspect. To each their own.
Well whether or not you'd take it is a moot point. There are a lot of people who would readily. And really, you don't think the dct from the tlx couldn't be used. Let's not forget Acura has a whole lineup of new cars on the way that'll use the same turbo engines and the new civic/accord platform. So it's probably already 3+ years into development. I doubt the type R will have it. But the si? I don't think it's such a far fetched idea anymore. Especially since the next gen ILX will probably share power ratings closer to the type r rather than the new si makes a stronger sales case for offering a dct on the si along side the manual.

Grambles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic Si
Well whether or not you'd take it is a moot point. There are a lot of people who would readily. And really, you don't think the dct from the tlx couldn't be used. Let's not forget Acura has a whole lineup of new cars on the way that'll use the same turbo engines and the new civic/accord platform. So it's probably already 3+ years into development. I doubt the type R will have it. But the si? I don't think it's such a far fetched idea anymore. Especially since the next gen ILX will probably share power ratings closer to the type r rather than the new si makes a stronger sales case for offering a dct on the si along side the manual.
I figured I'd at least share my opinion because that's what the Internet is all about! :) I'm joking.

It's definitely not a far fetched idea. Certainly not. And honestly it makes better sense than a CVT. We can definitely agree on that! but I can tell you now, that it would be at least mid mode before we see it. They're struggling just to get the Si into the market.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I figured I'd at least share my opinion because that's what the Internet is all about! :) I'm joking.

It's definitely not a far fetched idea. Certainly not. And honestly it makes better sense than a CVT. We can definitely agree on that! but I can tell you now, that it would be at least mid mode before we see it. They're struggling just to get the Si into the market.
That may be. A delayed release of a dct kind of like the manual was delayed for the 1.5T models. I know that they were still tweaking and figuring out the si as of the sedans release. And with summer/fall closing in quickly they may pump out just the manuals to begin and phase a dct in later ( also as Acura starts introducing its redesigned models where the dct will most likely be sourced from)

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag