Tegster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Integra (Tafetta White)
Although I agree 100% that it makes no sense to change the Euro R after only 2 years, that's exactly what's happening. It's called a GLOBAL platform, the key word is GLOBAL! This was stated by John Mendel NA Honda VP.
+1 would be odd to have a global Civic with an asterisk for the European market Type R.

This is why it makes sense....cost savings...always about the bottom dollar. Keep in mind that much of what went into designing R&D will in fact go into the new Type R. Drivetrain, suspension aside from the rear of course etc.
http://europe.autonews.com/article/20150423/ANE/150429962/honda-will-cut-european-civic-production-costs-with-global-platform
Yep and the current Type R is already such a leap ahead that the 10th gen version should be mechanically very similar.
Sponsored

VincentVega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2012 Honda NC700X | 2002 Honda S2000 | 1992 Honda Civic VX
Here's a render but matching its not very accurate when compared to the spy pics.

Looks like he took the 2016 Sedan and added parts from the current Type R

Honda Civic Type R Sedan2.jpg

This looks REALLY nice

CaptK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV Crosstek
What will the hatchback be priced compared to the coupe and sedan? More, less, in between somewhere?

BigBang09

nsbryant09
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Former: 2004 Mustang V6, 2008 Civic LX)
Based on the hatchbacks being made in the UK (as opposed to stateside for the coupe and sedan I think), that will most likely make the hatchbacks a bit more pricey. *How* much more, I don't know, but probably nothing drastic.

As for the Type R, I would love if it came in a coupe option but I suspect it will be hatch only.

Viet_Racer

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic EM1
Country flag
Always thought those looked kinda ricey but vortex generator sounds fancy hah. Does it actually do much though or more for styling?
Believe it or not they actually serve a purpose by improving aerodynamics. How much it does I dunno but you'll also see small fins/vanes on other things like airplane wings, on which they serve the same purpose of how air flows across the part that the fins are attached to.

Honda Civic 10th gen First look at 2017 Civic Type R Hatchback Prototype! Spy pics p343478134-4

Honda Civic 10th gen First look at 2017 Civic Type R Hatchback Prototype! Spy pics p343478134-4

hothatchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf Mark5
Based on the hatchbacks being made in the UK (as opposed to stateside for the coupe and sedan I think), that will most likely make the hatchbacks a bit more pricey. *How* much more, I don't know, but probably nothing drastic.

As for the Type R, I would love if it came in a coupe option but I suspect it will be hatch only.
I always thought that where a car is made doesn't really affect its price nowadays? I would think that the hatchback's US pricing is going to depend on where Honda wants to position it within the lineup relative to the sedan and coupe and also what the car's direct competitors are priced at.

iamjack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I saw that the CivicX renderings had those vents on top of the front fenders also. Any guesses what they do?

Bubb2521

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 135i, TT RS
I saw that the CivicX renderings had those vents on top of the front fenders also. Any guesses what they do?
Yeah those same vents are on the euro 15' as well. Honda claims everything on the car is for a purpose. Either vents for cooling the breaks or vents for aero dynamics.

OP
OP
administrator

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Like Bubb said, those are on the current Type R too but in a slightly different place and design. They're outlet vents to help cool the engine bay. This is how Honda describes the quarter panel vents on the 2015 CTR.

Heat management was another major focus for the design team, influencing several prominent external design modifications. Enlarged upper and lower grilles in the front bumper allow greater volume of cooling air into the engine bay. The airflow is channelled to outlet vents above the wheels on the front quarter panels and vents at the trailing edges of the widened front wheel arches to provide greater cooling and ventilation for the high-output engine.

GearGrind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 WRX 6mt ISM, 13 BRZ (Vortech S/C) 6mt
This should be a very exciting car. I have my hopes high for the new si and type r.

sparks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Can't wait to get mine in prepubescent pube paint! ;-)

Last edited:

waterman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Civic Si coupe, 2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Country flag
This will be the reason honda doesn't go AWD for the Type R... to keep it in a different league from the RS... so that they can still claim fastest FWD around the 'ring.

On a side note.... styling looks good, looks like honda is sticking with the split rear window design seen on the current hatch. Under all that camo i'm a bid disappointed to see that yet again it looks like they just glued on all the extra sporty bits which i think is what makes the current car look a bit boy racer... but obviously that could change before the production model lands... was just hoping for a more integrated sporty look.

Surprised they kept the triple exhaust, at least the pipes look slightly closer in size than the ones on the test mules did. Doesn't look as odd.

Kind of surprised it doesn't get the LED headlights (unless they're an option)... considering this is a 30k civic, i'd expect certain features for that amount of money. Again, things can/will change before production version.

Overall looks pretty good. A bit bummed looks like the tail lights are copy paste from the sedan instead of being full width like on the coupe.

Fastest in class is all that matters. It does not matter whether it is AWD, FWD or RWD. It won't compete with AWD's at the track or autocross.
Honda needs to counter.
A coupe would be lighter and more rigid (not to mention aesthetics). AWD would probably take 5+ seconds off of the already impressive "ring" time. Hell, RWD would knock a second or 2 off.
i-VTEC has evolved from natural aspiration to forced induction. Time to ditch FWD only if Honda wants to dominate/compete on the new world stage.
Sponsored