First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo, 2003 350z, 1998 CRV, 2019 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Whoohoo! I spent my first 600 miles staying under 4k RPM and mixed easy driving for "official break in procedure". Celebrating my 700th mile by taking it out to Buttonwillow Speedway for an autocross event on the go-kart track. Everything went smooth, outside temperature was around 65 degrees and sunny, I managed to squeeze in about 16 laps over the period of 5 hours. Car is still 100% stock, tires and all. Transitioning from driving an evo 8 and 350z previously, the civic took a lap or two to get used to (mainly trying to get used to these terrible tires sliding around) but overall an excellent driving experience!

Sponsored

tylermmorton

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R #1362
Country flag
Looks awesome man :) I'm going to try autocross this summer as well. Just waiting on some new tires and a helmet before I go.

OP
OP
SBPerformance

SBPerformance

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks awesome man :) I'm going to try autocross this summer as well. Just waiting on some new tires and a helmet before I go.
Excellent! Autocross is a great way to get to know your cars handling without the pressure of wheel to wheel racing and a bunch of people watching you, haha. The factory Continentals weren't the worst tires I've tried out, but definitely not the best. Most clubs that host events also have helmet rentals if you wanted to try that out before making the big purchase :)

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Autocross is always a fun way to hone skills and learn the car. You don't just go straight to wheel to wheel racing either though. Most first time track events/ HPDE you're in a super beginner class with an instructor, designated passing areas and zero wheel two wheel racing allowed of any sort.

OP
OP
SBPerformance

SBPerformance

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes!

You can find all sorts of racing from drag races, autocross, road courses, etc for all skill levels at motorsportreg.com just search your area code to find the nearest event and information.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Just did a HPDE track day and it was a blast, but it was pretty pricey (track fees, instructor fees since newbie, brake pads / fluids, etc.). I am thinking about looking to AutoX for my next event since it seems a bit cheaper.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Whoohoo! I spent my first 600 miles staying under 4k RPM and mixed easy driving for "official break in procedure". Celebrating my 700th mile by taking it out to Buttonwillow Speedway for an autocross event on the go-kart track.
Dang! You West Coasters have all the neat stuff out there! Go-Kart track!!?? Looked like a real track. Here in fly-over country AutoX is in a tiny parking lot with cones everywhere!!

Thanks for the post. Fun!

OP
OP
SBPerformance

SBPerformance

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just did a HPDE track day and it was a blast, but it was pretty pricey (track fees, instructor fees since newbie, brake pads / fluids, etc.). I am thinking about looking to AutoX for my next event since it seems a bit cheaper.
It does get expensive! This little event was $60 and all you can run fun. No classing, just timed laps from 9am to 5pm which was awesome. I have another event at the end of the month that pick a few SCCA rules for classing but is usually very laid back.

OP
OP
SBPerformance

SBPerformance

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dang! You West Coasters have all the neat stuff out there! Go-Kart track!!?? Looked like a real track. Here in fly-over country AutoX is in a tiny parking lot with cones everywhere!!

Thanks for the post. Fun!
We have those also, all fun even when you get lost in a sea of cones. I usually have to travel an hour or more to these events, my area doesn't host any car activities (wine country things, boring) but I enjoy driving out just to drive and drive back haha
Sponsored