arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You know a weighted shift knob is only a bandaid. I’m the extra weight Is comparable to using extra force with a lighter knob. And for those who say fluid, well yeah any time you change fluid it will feel nice for a bit but ultimately will return to the same feel after a few hundred miles.
The weighted shift knob is not like a bandaid. It can be considered an aid, however.

My comment about the GM synchromesh fluid was in regards to the old Honda/Acura 6MTs that had 3rd gear issues. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
The weighted shift knob is not like a bandaid. It can be considered an aid, however.

My comment about the GM synchromesh fluid was in regards to the old Honda/Acura 6MTs that had 3rd gear issues. :thumbsup:
Nah it’s a bandaid lol. Depending on how heavy is what important. Some knobs ppl are using will likely cause issues later down the road. It’s extra stress on the internals.

OP
OP

Jaxson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Reverse was very hard to get into in my 2018 for the first few thousand miles.

Now at 11k, I don't have an issue anymore.

I also only notice first gear lockout sometimes if I'm still rolling when I try to shift into it.
Right. Same. I rarely go into 1st when rolling but sometimes I have to inorder to merge into rush hour traffic.

aaaaah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have so far not experienced anything unusual about this gearbox over any of the other manual cars I've owned in my life. If it doesn't go in first or reverse, a quick pump or two of the clutch normally fixes it like it does in most cars. No reverse or first problems even in 15F weather.

OP
OP

Jaxson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have so far not experienced anything unusual about this gearbox over any of the other manual cars I've owned in my life. If it doesn't go in first or reverse, a quick pump or two of the clutch normally fixes it like it does in most cars. No reverse or first problems even in 15F weather.
Interesting. I’ve only owned 2 manual cars before this Si. Every transmission does have its quirks but I assumed most cars with a manual transmission wouldn’t require any added steps to make it go in gear properly sometimes given that there’s nothing ground breaking about the design of a manual transmission. And Honda is supposedly known for its shifter feel based on all the reviews I have read about the Prelude, S2000, Si, CTR...etc

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
My first gear usually locks when I'm still rolling a little bit.
If I recall correctly, first gear doesn't have any synchros so putting it in first is not easy at any speed besides being fully stopped.

As my transmission has worn in, it's gotten easier to put it in first if I'm going under 5 MPH and I double clutch.

aaaaah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
My first gear usually locks when I'm still rolling a little bit.
First gear can be challenging to get into in any car while the car is still rolling. This is not unique to the Si.

Apart from traffic moving before you come to a complete stop, why is everyone putting the car in to first before the car completely stops?

ShadowFiend

SanaBanana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
First gear can be challenging to get into in any car while the car is still rolling. This is not unique to the Si.

Apart from traffic moving before you come to a complete stop, why is everyone putting the car in to first before the car completely stops?
That awkward moment when I'm going 5-10 km/h while making a turn/merging LOL.
I mostly put it on 2nd if I'm above 10kph but sometimes I put it in first when it's lower speed. I can still put it on 2nd if I want to, but I feel the car bog a little...aha

Maxum

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
Do you know why he taught you to do this? I’m curious now to know if he rebuilds transmissions and knows why lockouts in these gears occur.
That's what my father taught me as well way back 32 years ago when I first learned to drive a manual shift. Always works. And still no idea why..lol Luckily I don't have any issues at all with my 2020 and locking out of 1st or reverse. Only issue I seem to have is getting a feel for the shift points and rpms....I just can't seem to get it to shift as smoothly as other cars I've owned...even other Civics. I think it's me though and not the car.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
That's what my father taught me as well way back 32 years ago when I first learned to drive a manual shift. Always works. And still no idea why..lol Luckily I don't have any issues at all with my 2020 and locking out of 1st or reverse. Only issue I seem to have is getting a feel for the shift points and rpms....I just can't seem to get it to shift as smoothly as other cars I've owned...even other Civics. I think it's me though and not the car.
It’s the dual mass flywheel setup with a rather weak clutch that leads to a much less forgiving engagement when you aren't perfectly matching revs. There is also a Clutch delay valve in the slave cylinder in the newer Hondas that is there so people don’t annihilate their drive train when the accidentally drop the clutch too fast at high RPMs. It’s tough to get consistency out of this car.

If it’s cold it feels different, if the A/C is blasting on a hot day it feels different, if you adjust your seating position it feels different, etc.

You’ll get used to it and find your own way to make it more consistent with more seat time.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
That awkward moment when I'm going 5-10 km/h while making a turn/merging LOL.
I mostly put it on 2nd if I'm above 10kph but sometimes I put it in first when it's lower speed. I can still put it on 2nd if I want to, but I feel the car bog a little...aha
I might get shit on for saying this, but I don't feel bad for people trying to put it in 1st at 10kph. 1st gear is 3.64:1 and the final drive ratio is 4:11 or 4:35:1 - if you get locked out, it's because you're trying to put it in a gear that is spinning too fast. :p Oi!

ShadowFiend

SanaBanana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I might get shit on for saying this, but I don't feel bad for people trying to put it in 1st at 10kph. 1st gear is 3.64:1 and the final drive ratio is 4:11 or 4:35:1 - if you get locked out, it's because you're trying to put it in a gear that is spinning too fast. :p Oi!
Yep you're probably right. Most of the time I put it on 2nd gear if my first locks out. Just hate the mini bog that happens lol

VaSi

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I'm also one of the (lucky maybe) few that hasn't experienced lock out in 1st or reverse. I'm at 2300 miles on my white 2020 SI sedan....

But, I too have been driving manuals all my life and would never attempt to put the SI in first moving above 5mph.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Can't offer any help for reverse lockout but our '12 Si doesn't like to go into first when moving unless it's rev-matched (by foot not computer!).
Sponsored