Finding narrow 17" wheels for winter tires

rnb2

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe, Silver
I'm looking for some narrow (6-6.5") 17" wheels to fit my 2018 Si Coupe for winter tires (having given up on finding any 16s that will clear the front calipers). I've found a set that might work - the bolt pattern is right - but I'm not sure if the offset is going to work properly. I've attached a screenshot from wheel-size.com that shows that they should fit, but I'm not sure about the ramifications of the geometry - the centerline of the wheel/tire is shifted out a fair bit, and is no longer aligned with the brake disk, but that may be unavoidable when going narrow on this car.

Any pointers welcome!
Honda Civic 10th gen Finding narrow 17" wheels for winter tires WinterWheels
Sponsored

pikwit

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatch Sport 2001 BMW M3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why not get a 17x7 you'll have more options. Also, the 215 width is pretty wide on a 6.5" width wheel a 205 would be better suited and you could run that section width on a 7" wheel.

OP
OP
rnb2

rnb2

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! I'm just going off the recommended sizes from wheel-size.com (which actually lists 215/50 17 on a 6" wheel), but now that you mention it, the math doesn't really work there, does it? Dropping 2" in wheel width for a less-than-1" reduction in tread width doesn't make much sense. Hmmm.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag

OP
OP
rnb2

rnb2

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like I really don't need to look for anything that narrow - I was lead a bit astray by the recommended sizings at wheel-size.com (which has a great database of OEM wheels, effects of changes on geometry, etc). So, something 7-7.5" with a 215/50 17 should be workable, and Tire Rack should be able to match things up for me. I'm basically just looking for a not-terrible-looking rim to mount General Altimax Arctics on (have had good luck with them on two different cars), the cheaper the better.

Musclebadger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Looks like I really don't need to look for anything that narrow - I was lead a bit astray by the recommended sizings at wheel-size.com (which has a great database of OEM wheels, effects of changes on geometry, etc). So, something 7-7.5" with a 215/50 17 should be workable, and Tire Rack should be able to match things up for me. I'm basically just looking for a not-terrible-looking rim to mount General Altimax Arctics on (have had good luck with them on two different cars), the cheaper the better.
Check out tire rack. They will even mount and balance before shipping it to you. I am looking at tires and rims now, may hold off this winter to see how it handles.
Sponsored