Finally test drive CW Type R - But didn't buy it

1. fegan

fegan Member

First Name:
    Forrest
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
    When I purchased my Sport Touring Hatchback last month the dealership had a Type R on the lot...I didn't even ask to see it after the salesman told me the bidding started at &11k over MSRP.
    Like others in this thread, I would pay MSRP for the Si long before paying MSRP for the Type R, and would never pay over MSRP for either.
    The Sport Touring has been a joy to drive daily commuting to work, sporty with great gas mileage...I only wish I got a MT instead of the CVT.

VtecAF thanked this.
  2. Davey

Davey Member

Car(s):
    2015 Subaru STI, 2002 Ford F-150 Lighning, 2011 Honda Pilot
    #32 Davey, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Truth. How does your work like it that you drive a competitor to their STI....☺️

3. Design

Design Senior Member

Car(s):
    09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
    #33 Design, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    I'm going out on a limb and saying you were sourcing this car from Norm Reeves Irvine (?). Ironically, I saw a CW CTR there (already purchased) while I was test driving an Si a few weeks back. I'm surprised at just how much fun the Si is. And I share this being an owner of a 270 WHP FWD hatch.

Thinking (hoping) the hype will start to wear off in another 6-9 months.

pdiizeru and zroger73 thanked this.
  4. OP
    Honda Marketing

Honda Marketing Senior Member

First Name:
    kimha
    Car(s):
    Acura TL Type-S
    Yes you are correct. That was me at Norm Reeves a few weeks ago checking out that CW CTR. I think it would be very hard for Honda dealers to find buyers willing to pay over MSRP 6 months from now. Most of the buyers willing to pay over MSRP would have been gone by then. Even right at this moment, I have seen many people desperately trying to find one at MSRP, but hardly anyone desperately trying to find one at $10K above MSRP.

When winter comes 6 months from now, how many people would want to buy a CTR at $10K + MSRP and let the car sits in their driveway for months? Even at $5K + MSRP would be a challenge for the dealers to find buyers in the winter time. Honda is not discontinuing the CTR production anytime soon, so I don't understand why some people are so worry that they may not be able to get one. I can't wait to revisit this post 6 months from now posting my CTR at MSRP.

metal_driver and Design thanked this.
  5. Boostlag

Boostlag Senior Member

Car(s):
    NC2 MX5 (Miata)
    I think this car is a pretty decent deal for what it is at MSRP. Its a quick and fun car. Also its FWD in the price point where you can get competitors for same price or less. When asking 5k over the car loses its appeal for me. STI will be getting a all new engine in a year and in a couple years I fully expect a all new Focus RS to release giving up more options.

6. skshrews

skshrews Senior Member

Car(s):
    Acura 2005 TSX, Honda Civic Hatchback LX 6MT 2017
    " For $46K I would rather get the SI for myself and the hatchback for my daughter. ."

A strangely logical decision.

zroger73 thanked this.
  7. omar0123

omar0123 Senior Member

First Name:
    Omar
    Car(s):
    2019 type r
    Focus RS will not come to the states again must be going to Europe to get one

8. darrvao777

darrvao777 Senior Member

Car(s):
    '19 CW CTR, '18 G550
    Who are you talking to?? The thread Is 2 yrs old

9. omar0123

omar0123 Senior Member

First Name:
    Omar
    Car(s):
    2019 type r
    It may be 2 years old but still there won't be anymore focus rs or st

10. KB3_FK8

KB3_FK8 Member

First Name:
    Kenny
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Type R
    Or you can buy some Michelin Pilot 4s's as your daily and they will last 30k+ miles and be objectively much better. I put cup 2's on my track wheels so I don't wear the PS4S's . Also all the brakes can be swapped for better and longer lasting brakes very easily which also I did. So my Type R is pretty much maintained for 30k miles which is pretty standard for a high performance vehicle.

11. 02SilverSiHB

02SilverSiHB Senior Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Car(s):
    2017 FK8
    Yeah, I wouldn't pay anymore than 36k for the type r (before taxes, etc). 5k in accessories...love to know what those were, lol

12. SBPerformance

SBPerformance Senior Member

First Name:
    Steph
    Car(s):
    2003 Evo, 2003 350z, 1998 CRV, 2019 Civic Type R
    Wow that sucks... I picked up my CTR in SoCal for $1,000 over MSRP, plus $3k accessories (I carbon fiber wing, carbon fiber interior package, carbon fiber mirrors, alarm, tint, cargo mat, floor mats, wheel locks) and my extended warranty was $900 for 8 years / 120k miles.

So... I feel you can get a type R in SoCal for near MSRP as a different dealer was willing to sell me one for $1k over back in February 2019 but, it didn't have the accessories I wanted and had a deep scratch down the driver side rear quarter panel. My other half has a 2018 Si also, I love that car and its what made me want the Type R. I don't daily the R but if you're looking for a daily, the Si is a wonderful choice for an all around vehicle with some occasional fun on back roads or autox events.

zroger73 thanked this.
  13. boosted180sx

boosted180sx Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 CTR, 2019 370Z Nismo, '16 ILX
    pricing and amount of cars available 2 years ago when it first came out was totally different compared to now.

there should be no issue getting one for MSRP now.

i don't see a reason to bump a 2 year old thread just to mention that there will be no more focus rs lol.

14. zroger73

zroger73 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2019 Ridgeline RTL-E
    They're still going for +$5K in the DFW area.

Untitled.png

17CivicTypeR_Brian thanked this.
  15. boosted180sx

boosted180sx Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 CTR, 2019 370Z Nismo, '16 ILX
    it is going for that down here too.
    What i mean is, if you are serious enough and motivated to buy, you should be able to get it for msrp. Not necessarily saying dealers are advertising for msrp.