Finally got to drive a Type R

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Haha. The door sill plastic is also still on there. It only has 1800 miles. I was saving it for the next buyer as I initially wanted to sell it this winter but changed my mind after upgrading to Acuity full shifter; it's a game changer.

Will remove plastic shortly. I promise :)
I have the Acuity shifter as well and I can't say enough good things.
Sponsored

SCcanyoncrvr

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I had the pleasure of driving a type r as well and it’s def an amazing car. Not sure if you’re from SoCal but I was able to get a spirited run thru GMR in it. Only issue was my buddies car was running a reverse staggered setup which threw me off since the rear tail kept wanting to kick out lol

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I had the pleasure of driving a type r as well and it’s def an amazing car. Not sure if you’re from SoCal but I was able to get a spirited run thru GMR in it. Only issue was my buddies car was running a reverse staggered setup which threw me off since the rear tail kept wanting to kick out lol
Yep, born in LA, moved to the Bay Area for a job in 2001. My family all lives in Socal, so I make frequent visits. My wife is not a big fan of LA, she moved there in 97 from North Carolina when we got married, and never liked LA. I've driven probably 90 percent of the roads in SoCal from Malibu to San Bernardino

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm so hyped after the drive that, without reservation, recommend the IS350 (automatic) to anyone who wants a comfortable, yet sporty car, for daily commute. Nothing beats NA goodness off the line and the IS350 has it in spades. It's got a comfortable ride for long trips, yet firm enough to attack those twisties. To top it off, service and reliability are top-notch from the big L. We both agree, pre-owned is the best way to go for anyone ready for an upgrade.

Personally, no shame in praising a different make on a Honda forum. I'm just a guy who likes good and fun sporty cars. And the IS350 is an excellent fun and sporty car.:drive:
What's insane is newer gen IS350s (like 2015 or newer) still have insane resale prices, especially if they have the F-Sport package.

Did you prefer it's acceleration or your Type R's more? Also, is the Acuity shifter REALLY that good??

Personally, no shame in praising a different make on a Honda forum. I'm just a guy who likes good and fun sporty cars. And the IS350 is an excellent fun and sporty car.
I'm a car enthusiast first, Honda enthusiast second. If we can't praise other brands here, then we're doing ourselves a disservice. :beer:

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What's insane is newer gen IS350s (like 2015 or newer) still have insane resale prices, especially if they have the F-Sport package.

Did you prefer it's acceleration or your Type R's more? Also, is the Acuity shifter REALLY that good??

I'm a car enthusiast first, Honda enthusiast second. If we can't praise other brands here, then we're doing ourselves a disservice. :beer:
I'm biased, so I will answer the second question... it's that damn good!

MaTtKs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep, born in LA, moved to the Bay Area for a job in 2001. My family all lives in Socal, so I make frequent visits. My wife is not a big fan of LA, she moved there in 97 from North Carolina when we got married, and never liked LA. I've driven probably 90 percent of the roads in SoCal from Malibu to San Bernardino
Oh man, I moved to LA from NC a decade ago and LOVE it. Definitely miss some things (like housing prices and good BBQ), but otherwise wouldn’t have it any differently.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh man, I moved to LA from NC a decade ago and LOVE it. Definitely miss some things (like housing prices and good BBQ), but otherwise wouldn’t have it any differently.
Haha, come to my part of town (Silicone Valley) and you will really love the housing market! My house I bought in December 2015 has way outpaced my 401K ($300K appreciation). My wife originally lived in Carey NC where she moved to in 93. She loved it, and visiting there a few times I could see why. She moved to Los Angeles after we got married, and hated every day of it. I'm actually not a big fan of LA, it's just way to crowded. She thankfully loves NorCal. My brother and sister-in-law recently sold their house in the Southbay and bought a house out in Eastvale near Corona (Riverside county), and I really like it out here, although traffic also sucks here because everyone is commuting to the Los Angeles area for work and back

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My advice to anyone who doesn't want to spend a lot but get into an IS, look at the 2nd Gen IS350's, 2010 thru 2013. You can pick one up with miles from 50K to 150K starting around $17K. If you go higher mileage you can get them even cheaper. I recently saw a 2010 IS350 with the F Sport package with 79K miles for $17,500. You can modernize the infotainment system with an aftermarket unit (Android Auto and Apple Carplay) for under $400. Once you start looking at the 3rd gen, you are talking $24K plus

Ron R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
So amirza786 is getting a 2020 Type R and keeping his IS350.

Honestly raw power of the Type R, is it day and difference from the SI?:)

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So amirza786 is getting a 2020 Type R and keeping his IS350.

Honestly raw power of the Type R, is it day and difference from the SI?:)
The answers to your first statement is NO and Yes. As far as the power of the Type R as compared to the Si....yes, night and day. Imagine running a block. and then you strap 100 lbs to your body and try to run a block. They are just two different cars. But to not discourage Si owners, the cost of ownership is definitely much more than the Si. For example, I was surprised to find TypeSir is averaging the same MPG as my Lexus with it's 3.5L V6! Also if you notice, he has removed the Type R logos and grill and replaced it with an aftermarket grill. I asked him why, and he told me that these are stolen frequently, so I am assuming that when he sells the car he will replace the original parts. He also replaced the 20" tires with 18" because they are very expensive, and wear out quickly

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm biased, so I will answer the second question... it's that damn good!
^^^ 100% what he said.

I prefer the IS350's acceleration from a standstill simply because I'm used to NA (or instant torque from a EV). After 3000 rpm, I prefer the Type R because it pulls harder to red line.

The Acuity shifter is indeed a game changer. It's that good. It's hard to describe in writing because it's all tactile and you really need to feel it for yourself. Anyone who tries it says the same thing. If factory shifter is 8 out of 10, the Acuity would be three times better than that. Anyone from SoCal who wants to check it out send me a PM. I'm not affiliated with Acuity.

Watch the first 12 seconds of the following video:

Ron R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The answers to your first statement is NO and Yes. As far as the power of the Type R as compared to the Si....yes, night and day. Imagine running a block. and then you strap 100 lbs to your body and try to run a block. They are just two different cars. But to not discourage Si owners, the cost of ownership is definitely much more than the Si. For example, I was surprised to find TypeSir is averaging the same MPG as my Lexus with it's 3.5L V6! Also if you notice, he has removed the Type R logos and grill and replaced it with an aftermarket grill. I asked him why, and he told me that these are stolen frequently, so I am assuming that when he sells the car he will replace the original parts. He also replaced the 20" tires with 18" because they are very expensive, and wear out quickly
Hey was trying to get a popular member here back in a performance Civic lol.

Yes I figured there would be a big difference between the SI and Type R. The Si is awesome for the efficiency and gas mileage. Just once a while I miss a high performance machine lol.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey was trying to get a popular member here back in a performance Civic lol.

Yes I figured there would be a big difference between the SI and Type R. The Si is awesome for the efficiency and gas mileage. Just once a while I miss a high performance machine lol.
Well, thank you very much! I absolutely love the CTR now that I experienced it, but it just does not fit my personality. If I actually bought one, all my family, wife, co-workers would be screaming "HE IS HAVING A MID-LIFE CRISIS!" I would though buy without hesitation an Accord Sport (preferably the 9th gen V6), but I don't think a CTR is in my future

Ron R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, thank you very much! I absolutely love the CTR now that I experienced it, but it just does not fit my personality. If I actually bought one, all my family, wife, co-workers would be screaming "HE IS HAVING A MID-LIFE CRISIS!" I would though buy without hesitation an Accord Sport (preferably the 9th gen V6), but I don't think a CTR is in my future
The Si is my early mid-life crisis car lol. The last generation V6 Accord had a silky smooth powerful motor. Test drove one before I bought my Hyundai Elantra. But to be honest I would take your rear wheel drive IS350 sport sedan over the Accord V6:)

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Ha! talking about a mid-life crisis I was looking at a can am spider the other day
Probably not going to buy one but I m still looking at a TLX

Honda Civic 10th gen Finally got to drive a Type R 3FEBCB2B-7B41-4D8E-8F27-E5D0892A8A48
Sponsored