Filmed: 2017 Civic Type R Exhaust Sounds (first production Type R in U.S.)

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Now I wonder if the driver had rev-matching enabled.
Rev matching can be turned off
Honda Civic 10th gen Filmed: 2017 Civic Type R Exhaust Sounds (first production Type R in U.S.) f2d798cecf724ceb6b4d7bd1b7f092f6

Here’s an important one for all you heel and toe fanatics who might have gotten a little worried at the mention of the FK8’s new rev matching feature: you can turn it off. Not only that, but we’re told you can turn it off in each of the car’s three driving modes. It even saves it so when you restart the car it's still in whatever function you choose.

Hopefully that’s given you a little more to go on than the initial announcement. For the rest of the details, and what this crazed hot hatch is like to drive, we’ll have to wait until the summer.

- Hideki Kakinuma
Sponsored

SaiHayashi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FN2R NHB 2008; NA8 MX-5 turbo 2013; LandRover Discovery 2016; FK8R CW 2017
Country flag
Rev matching can be turned off
Honda Civic 10th gen Filmed: 2017 Civic Type R Exhaust Sounds (first production Type R in U.S.) f2d798cecf724ceb6b4d7bd1b7f092f6

Here’s an important one for all you heel and toe fanatics who might have gotten a little worried at the mention of the FK8’s new rev matching feature: you can turn it off. Not only that, but we’re told you can turn it off in each of the car’s three driving modes. It even saves it so when you restart the car it's still in whatever function you choose.

Hopefully that’s given you a little more to go on than the initial announcement. For the rest of the details, and what this crazed hot hatch is like to drive, we’ll have to wait until the summer.

- Hideki Kakinuma
Yes I know it can be turned off, hence just asking if he had it enabled from the instagram video.
I can hear down shifting but not no throttle blip like we do with manual rev-matching,
so either he had rev-matching on and it just magically worked or he simply didn't care about potential damage to the clutch.

Xyrex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'86 Honda Prelude
Yes I know it can be turned off, hence just asking if he had it enabled from the instagram video.
I can hear down shifting but not no throttle blip like we do with manual rev-matching,
so either he had rev-matching on and it just magically worked or he simply didn't care about potential damage to the clutch.
Or he was floating gears.

vader2k

Darkside rider & Senior member
First Name
Alonzo-Ignacio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R. #433 (EPB). 07 Civic LX (TW)
Country flag
Incredible pics and video! Thanks for posting!!!

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was thinking there would be an oil cooler or something with that hood scoop..... Nope. Just a pointless hood scoop.

Also, plastic covers on engine bays are always terrible... but that one is a special kind of awful.

jpmelfi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #706, 07 S2k
Country flag
I was thinking there would be an oil cooler or something with that hood scoop..... Nope. Just a pointless hood scoop.

Also, plastic covers on engine bays are always terrible... but that one is a special kind of awful.
The Hood scoop is certainly not pointless.
Honda Civic 10th gen Filmed: 2017 Civic Type R Exhaust Sounds (first production Type R in U.S.) typer3-

The sheet metal at the back of the hood clearly does something. It's not just there just because. All engines nowadays hide everything, but I have to think that all black one won't be on the car. It will most likely be the red one from the Geneva motor show

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase

This could be a definite plausible function of it said by a British chap.

"The bonnet scoop pulls air in to that aluminium channel on the underside, which directs it to holes in the top of the wing, these direct the air to the long black vents running down the wings in front of the doors--it's all part of the aero package and not anything to do with cooling or pulling in cold air for the engine."

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This could be a definite plausible function of it said by a British chap.

"The bonnet scoop pulls air in to that aluminium channel on the underside, which directs it to holes in the top of the wing, these direct the air to the long black vents running down the wings in front of the doors--it's all part of the aero package and not anything to do with cooling or pulling in cold air for the engine."
I'd love to see wind tunnel data on that one. Very interesting.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Here's a visual interpretation of what @NorthernEX-T is referring to.

"The bonnet scoop pulls air in to that aluminium channel on the underside, which directs it to holes in the top of the wing, these direct the air to the long black vents running down the wings in front of the doors--it's all part of the aero package and not anything to do with cooling or pulling in cold air for the engine.""

I'm guessing that metal shield acts as a heatsink for the engine bay and cool air flows through it and vents out the front fenders.

Does anyone have pics or can confirm that the side vents have functional holes?

Honda Civic 10th gen Filmed: 2017 Civic Type R Exhaust Sounds (first production Type R in U.S.) TypeR3

Honda Civic 10th gen Filmed: 2017 Civic Type R Exhaust Sounds (first production Type R in U.S.) 2017-Honda-Civic-Type-R-rear-three-quarter-02