Fiesta ST owner considering CTR

cerberus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST and few Germans
Greetings!

New to the forum and considering a CTR. I currently daily drive a 15’ Fiesta ST and actually love it. It’s has been a lot fun, versatile and dead reliable for almost 40k, which I didn’t expect from an entry level Ford.

However, I would like a new hatch with higher overall performance. The Focus RS would be a logical option, but I’m not a fan of AWD. Good reliability is a must as well since it’s my daily driver.

Anyone here have a FiST before their CTR? How significantly better is the CTR? I’ve only read one comparison test that included both cars and the FiST fared well. I’ve read most of the rave reviews of the CTR and also like the rarity. I think I’ve only seen 1 CTR in Charlotte in the past year and it had dealer plates.

Also, how much depreciation do you expect the CTR to have over the next several years? I know it’s been strong so far, but supply has finally arrived and buying at MSRP possible. Will they start dropping at typical Honda depreciation rates soon?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
I don't have experience with the Fiesta ST but know people really like them a lot. As far as the Type R, they are maintaining their value exceptionally well so far in the used market, some people are getting above MSRP for sub 10K miles and well taken care of cars. 20 Year old Integra Type R's are going for 30k+ with around 60-70K Mile range for a longer term comparison.

They are super rare and you get to make people's day from time to time which is fun. 98% of Subaru STI owners will dislike you automatically which I also find to be an enjoyable experience. Performance is AWESOME and has to be the best value for the money in the grand picture. Class leading cargo space also kills it 5' from trunk to seat with the seats laid down and plenty of room vertically with the hatchback. The gripes are mostly smaller items and the fear that comes with say parking the car and leaving it somewhere unattended etc. No regrets, just make sure you find a dealer or follow this site for MSRP deals that pop up, no need to pay mark up. If totaled or stolen I would replace. My $0.02.

Last edited:

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2010 G37S
Country flag

scoobysnack

First Name
no
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 Volvo C30, 2009 Infiniti G37
Country flag
No offense to the Fiesta ST because it is a great little car in its own way but my younger brother has one and while it does punch above its class it does not in any way fare well in comparison to a CTR. But like I said, its a great little car in its own way.

visualabstrakt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R, 2008 Evo X
Country flag
I had a 2015 FIST as a daily before the CTR. It was a blast to drive around. I loved driving it but wanted something more versatile and I feel the CTR is the way to go. More hatch space. More power. I especially like the useful cubby holes to put stuff in and better infotainment system lol. I do miss being able to park anywhere with the FIST and feel it was a little bit more nimble, but you cant go wrong with the CTR. Definitely an upgrade

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
Greetings!

Hi! :wave:

New to the forum and considering a CTR. I currently daily drive a 15’ Fiesta ST and actually love it. It’s has been a lot fun, versatile and dead reliable for almost 40k, which I didn’t expect from an entry level Ford.

Both nice Cars!

However, I would like a new hatch with higher overall performance. The Focus RS would be a logical option, but I’m not a fan of AWD. Good reliability is a must as well since it’s my daily driver.

Good point.

Anyone here have a FiST before their CTR? How significantly better is the CTR? I’ve only read one comparison test that included both cars and the FiST fared well. I’ve read most of the rave reviews of the CTR and also like the rarity. I think I’ve only seen 1 CTR in Charlotte in the past year and it had dealer plates.

While your FiST it might not have streamline cult follower as big as the CTR, but I think is as visceral as the CTR.

Also, how much depreciation do you expect the CTR to have over the next several years? I know it’s been strong so far, but supply has finally arrived and buying at MSRP possible. Will they start dropping at typical Honda depreciation rates soon?

The CTR hands down has the best resale value on its segment , let's put it this way: after a year & with decent miles you see samples on KBB with offers close to MSRP. Trade in even better - Try to find that in other models & you will be surprised how quick they depreciate: Golf R, RS, STI. This car has a unicorn status, future classic.

Thanks!

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

destoups

First Name
Des
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Country flag
I've only autocrossed a CTR a couple of times, but spent a couple of seasons in a FiST. In the Fiesta you're flat-out the whole time but never in any real danger of scary speed. CTR is like a very sharp knife.

They're similar in that they both feel special, not just a slightly sportier econobox.

OP
OP

cerberus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST and few Germans
Thanks for the feedback and keep them coming.

I will have to check out a CTR at one of my local dealerships to see one in the flesh.

I also read a tune can bump the power and torque significantly. Can it be flashed back and forth without the dealer knowing to avoid voiding the warranty?

Kevin S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 hype R
Country flag
My wife has one (fiesta ST). It is her daily driver and autocross car. She is completely stock.

I have a CTR as my daily driver. I plan on autcrossing my car next year.

They are both really fun cars ! However the CTR is a much more serious, higher limits car compared to the fiesta st. The civic type r feels much more "racey" because well - it is! It's really built to perform on the track while still being a car you can daily drive.

The ride in comfort mode (IMHO) blows away the fiesta st on the daily roads here in colorado. I feel like my spine is going to explode in the fiesta st haha.

They are both really great cars ! However if I had to choose one it would be the CTR. It really is an amazing all around vehicle. It's bigger, more reliable (hopefully) and will hold it's resale value better than the fist.

Honestly i think the fiesta is more fun as a daily driver...something about that car(fiesta st) it really is just super fun ! My wife had the option to sell her car and get a civic type r herself or a focus rs and decided to stick with the fiesta st because she really enjoys the car and the low limits are pefect for her - this is her 1st year doing any kind of hpde / autox, etc.

The civic is however a much better built car and a much faster car on the track, autocross, etc.

Will Solo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR Type R #1124
Country flag
I owned a 15 Fiesta ST before my CTR, and there are some days where I miss my FiST. As far as practicality goes, the CTR is way better. Bigger hatch, bigger interior and what not. Driving-wise, the CTR is a completely different beast. On the track, the CTR stays planted to the road where the FiST is a little jittery. Mine was stock suspension wise, but I did have some high performance tires on it. It's a great little car, especially for the price. But the CTR is an amazing car that I have no regrets getting. You can also see my RR FiST in my profile pic. Miss her!

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback and keep them coming.

I will have to check out a CTR at one of my local dealerships to see one in the flesh.

I also read a tune can bump the power and torque significantly. Can it be flashed back and forth without the dealer knowing to avoid voiding the warranty?
Dealer will see that the CPU has been altered. Need to purchase another ECU and clone it to your ECU if you want to stay under the radar. K tuner is said to have better customer support currently and the canned tunes produce a little more power I believe, Hondata is 72-ft/lbs and 47 HP.

toraider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR FK8
Country flag
Greetings!

- I have a FiST for 40,000K (63 KMs) now as well. I only drive it in the Winter. I bought it because I had a daily 94 K (150 KMs) commute. I live in Canada and had a BRZ as a summer car when I bought it.

I traded my BRZ for the CTR and still have the FiST for Winter. The comparison is night and day. IMHO, the Honda is nicer, more refined and definitely more spacious. The CTR is much larger and has much more space, if you need it.

Dealers here in Canada are still listing used CTRs with new car prices. That said even ITRs fetch a huge premiums these days as well. So, I imagine CTRs won’t depreciate much for the foreseeable future.

Thanks!
If you live in a Big City, to me the FiST is tough to beat for convenience. Small Car, Small Engine, Manual, Very Good Torque. Easy to park, etc. That said, the one things that bothers me is the overly stiff suspension, and the Heated Seats. It’s probably worse as I only drive it in winter when the shock oil is thick. The heated seats burn your butt or not and the CTR has no heated seats so they are a wash.

The CTR required a big adjustment in that it’s foot print is so much larger than the FiST. I really enjoy the FiST, but enjoy the power and handling of the CTR much more.

I’m happy to answer any specific question you have and hope you found this helpful.

FYI, I have no kids, so my perspective doesn’t consider them.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
I have two kids, preschool aged. The major thing that would never fly with the RS is the suspension is down right too stiff. I will note that the RS didn’t have a chance anyway but if it did it wouldn’t make it past that gate.

Godofelru

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I came from a 2015 FoST and there are a lot of features I miss, but overall the CTR is a blast, but it's not without compromises.

1) Race brakes look and feel great, but they're VERY loud and dusty.

2) Lack of convenience features. Stupid stuff like one touch up/down windows, all 4 doors unlocking by pushing handle. Also I miss a real ebrake. Fuck that button shit. It could stand to be a little more responsive too. I miss my volume knob.

3) Wheels/tires. 20's aren't cheap, you'll see a lot of people downsize wheels, but that's still a lot of money.

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 CTR LE (AUS-008)
Country flag
I own a MY16 Fiesta ST and was seriously considering a Focus RS as a family car until I drove an FK8 CTR and bought it instead (we kept the Fiesta ST).

Don't get me wrong the Focus RS is a very capable car but just didn't feel as cohesive as the Fiesta ST. It felt more like an old school muscle car take on the hot hatch whereas the Type R is just more well sorted. In the Honda everything from the driveline, brakes, chassis and seating position just seem to work together in harmony the way they do in the Fiesta ST, just at a much higher level. Add in the better boot and interior space, more compliant suspension and easier driving and it was a no brainer for a family daily driver that can double at the track on the weekend.
Sponsored