Few newbie questions please

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi just got my Ktuner. Regarding the quick adjustments, why is it when I load up one of the starter tunes (dual/eco tune, 21psi starter, etc), everything is on factory? I assumed that even though they were starters, there are other improvements to the tune other than turbo by default? Also what is the difference between Stage 2 and 21 PSI or dual tune starter? I know it's 91+ recommended but is it ok to use 87 with these tunes (mainly in the winter)? Lastly, what are the things I should be monitoring and optimal numbers? From what I gather, STFT1 and LTFT1, ECT, K.Cont are the most important? I dont plan on doing any tracking but may do minor modifications in the future. Thanks.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of questions. :cool:

The Starter tunes are just that. The dropdowns start at factory but you have the ability to set them anywhere you want. From factory to super aggressive.

Stage 2 is basically a locked, minimally adjustable tune that was one of the first releases. It's good, but the Starter 21 can easily surpass it with aggressive quick adjustments. If you like a lively low end, enable the "early spool" quick enable.

As far as 87 octane, don't do it. Your K.Control will tend to be high and in turn will retard ignition for lower power output.

From time to time, it's a good idea to monitor K. Control, fuel trims and IAT's at a minimum. I tend to mostly monitor after uploading a new tune to make sure things look good.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
DaiLo

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

The Starter tunes are just that. The dropdowns start at factory but you have the ability to set them anywhere you want. From factory to super aggressive.

Stage 2 is basically a locked, minimally adjustable tune that was one of the first releases. It's good, but the Starter 21 can easily surpass it with aggressive quick adjustments. If you like a lively low end, enable the "early spool" quick enable.

As far as 87 octane, don't do it. Your K.Control will tend to be high and in turn will retard ignition for lower power output.

From time to time, it's a good idea to monitor K. Control, fuel trims and IAT's at a minimum. I tend to mostly monitor after uploading a new tune to make sure things look good.

Hope that helps.
It does yeah! Thanks. Some follow-up questions.

If I set the second level for each quick adjustment is that still within the "safe" range that Ktuner tested or is that now considered a custom tune and use at my own risk? Second, I understand I will lose power if I use 87 just like with stock tune. I guess moreso my question would be does it damage any parts by doing so?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Using 87 won't damage any parts but honestly, why bother tuning if not to noticeably increase power and driveability? Even if it costs $5 a tankful more for premium, it's worth it, trust me.

All the quick adjustments are basically "safe" and have been thoroughly tested. The only thing I'd shy away from is disabling boost ramp completely.

Edit: I see you have a Sport Hatch and Honda recommends premium anyway, so again, don't do 87.

OP
OP
DaiLo

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Using 87 won't damage any parts but honestly, why bother tuning if not to noticeably increase power and driveability? Even if it costs $5 a tankful more for premium, it's worth it, trust me.

All the quick adjustments are basically "safe" and have been thoroughly tested. The only thing I'd shy away from is disabling boost ramp completely.

Edit: I see you have a Sport Hatch and Honda recommends premium anyway, so again, don't do 87.
Winters here are tough. What I was thinking was a set and forget tune where I could use 91 during the good seasons and 87 in the winter where I won't need all that power. I could run a dual tune instead and turn on eco mode in the winters. Would this give me roughly the Stage 2 tune? I would like normal/Sport to be approx Stage 2 and the eco mode to be factory boost but less throttle lag still. That would be ideal for snow I think while not feeling like a slug. What does the "tune 1", "tune 2", "tune 3" mean on that screen? Also just want to thank you. I've been lurking quite a while and you're one of the most helpful people on this forum. I've learnt a lot from you!

Honda Civic 10th gen Few newbie questions please Untitled

Honda Civic 10th gen Few newbie questions please Untitled2

Last edited:

Tanuktun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Ex Hatchback
Country flag

....oops. *opens laptop*

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Winters here are tough. What I was thinking was a set and forget tune where I could use 91 during the good seasons and 87 in the winter where I won't need all that power. I could run a dual tune instead and turn on eco mode in the winters. Would this give me roughly the Stage 2 tune? I would like normal/Sport to be approx Stage 2 and the eco mode to be factory boost but less throttle lag still. That would be ideal for snow I think while not feeling like a slug. What does the "tune 1", "tune 2", "tune 3" mean on that screen? Also just want to thank you. I've been lurking quite a while and you're one of the most helpful people on this forum. I've learnt a lot from you!
Tune 1, 2, 3 is the on the fly map switching. It allows you to set up 3 separate tune "maps" with different boost targets, switchable with the cruise control buttons.

If you want to keep it more simple, just adjust your boost targets for tune 1 if that's all you need. If you want Eco mode the have improved throttle response, set Eco Button to normalized throttle.

Tanuktun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Ex Hatchback
Country flag
Tune 1, 2, 3 is the on the fly map switching. It allows you to set up 3 separate tune "maps" with different boost targets, switchable with the cruise control buttons.

If you want to keep it more simple, just adjust your boost targets for tune 1 if that's all you need. If you want Eco mode the have improved throttle response, set Eco Button to normalized throttle.
i think it just feels more sluggish probably because i didn't have early spool enabled but i like running the end-user 18 psi but occasionally would like to switch to 21 psi for a bit. So without just reflashing all the time what settings would you recommend to have the end user feel. I ask because with all the choices, like improved or aggressive ramping, which is the most comparable to the end user maps?

i have cvt at 2, spool at 2 and throttle response at 2 across the board, just curious about the ramping i guess

also, if i turn off the ignition, does the car reset to tune 1 automatically or just sometimes?

@KTuner if you could chime in

Tanuktun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Ex Hatchback
Country flag
If the unit is hooked up it should save and set your tune. If it's not, it won't.
So unless my v2 is hooked up, the car will always reset to tune 1 of 3 instead of say I shut the car of while it was on time 3?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So unless my v2 is hooked up, the car will always reset to tune 1 of 3 instead of say I shut the car of while it was on time 3?
Correct. It will always revert to 1 at startup unless the KTuner unit is hooked up.
Sponsored