NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
Hi guys, I want to remap my stock civic 1.5 Turbo, but have a fear of engine failing or cvt issue.
I live in Indonesia, and I heard that two civics recently have problem in boost. When they reset to factory, it even can not fix the problem. They said the car wastegate has failed, so the boost can not reach maximum target. And also in my country, the fuel available in 90,92 and 98 octane.. but I am not sure whether this is equal as 98 octane in europe.

Is it safe if I tune my car for 18 psi or 21 psi? What do you think?
Sponsored

masspimentel

First Name
Massimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
I don't personally have the tune but I'm thinking of getting very soon. I can say from reading many many posts on this forum, it is safe from the out the box tunes. The ones that went bad either abused their car or went to set boost levels over whats recommended. If you wanna do research, I would look at @gtman posts, he has a non-si cvt 1.5t. He has also had the starter 21 and the TSP stage 1 tunes, he's also made a survey for tuned cars on this forum, which a lot of people have filled out. Just take care of your car and you should be good.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Bolt on Mod List:
- Hondata E85 Base Map Tune
- PRL Flex Fuel Kit
- PRL intercooler
- PRL Race Cold Air Intake
- GReddy Catback exhaust
My car: 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring - CVT

I am in the USA, but have been tuned on hondata since 1,500 miles currently at 12,700. I have had ZERO issues. I am well over the stock hp and use E85. I use the hondata flex fuel base map which are the safest tunes to use because they are an increase in HP without sacrificing reliability. As long as you don’t do stupid stuff with the tune you are fine. There is a 250 (conservative torque limit) on these CVTs, anything past that you are at the “at your own risk” territory. Most failures are because of custom tunes, not base map tunes

OP
OP
NewCivicRs

NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
Hmm maybe you are right @jayy_swish , because we don't know what they have done to their civics. I just want 215-220 hp (on engine) and 300nm (on engine) only use bmc air filter. I hope it is safe for long term.

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
I also just bought k tuner. I hear the 1.5t on the si could handle 340 wheel safely but that doesn’t mean ever motor so i don’t know I’m used to a k20z3 this turbo motor is new to me so I’m still learning about it

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I think I am gonna use ktuner.
The KTuner 21 PSI basemap tune (already included) will push you into the 200 ~ 205 WHP range, and around 260 ~ 270 Nm TQ levels.
TSP Stage 1 Tune (Map 3 is up to ~24 PSI) will bring the power up to 210 ~ 220 WHP, while the TQ remains around the same.
This is just ECU tune, and no engine modifications.

https://ktuner.com/16civicturbo/
https://www.twostepperformance.com/.../tsp-stage-1-tune-for-2017-honda-civic-non-si

Adding an air intake, and upgraded frontpipe and downpipe should bring your power up into the 240 ~ 250 WHP range I would assume.
Your TQ should be quite a bit above 300 Nm at this point...possibly in the 320 ~ 330+ TQ range.

The 1.5T engine can handle more HP, but higher TQ will be a problem with the CVT.

Last edited:

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
The KTuner 21 PSI basemap tune (already included) will push you into the 200 ~ 205 WHP range, and around 260 ~ 270 Nm TQ levels.
TSP Stage 1 Tune (Map 3 is up to ~24 PSI) will bring the power up to 210 ~ 220 WHP, while the TQ remains around the same.

https://www.twostepperformance.com/.../tsp-stage-1-tune-for-2017-honda-civic-non-si

Adding an air intake, and upgraded frontpipe and downpipe should bring your power up into the 240 ~ 250 WHP range I would assume.
Your TQ should be quite a bit above 300 Nm at this point...possibly in the 320 ~ 330+ TQ range.

The 1.5T engine can handle more HP, but higher TQ will be a problem with the CVT.
So I can run the tsp stage 1 tune in my 2018 si and that’s a safe reliable power ? Anything I should avoid ? Maybe boosting at low rpm in 6th gear? Should I avoid low boost? Anything under 3000 rpms ? Also random question, when I boost in 3rd gear, the car will hold psi at 16, and peak at 17 I noticed tonight not even 20 min ago I was boosting 4th gear and it wasn’t holding 16-17 it was dropping slowly through out the curve like 16-15-14 .... is that normal or do I maybe have a small boost leak somewhere ?

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
So I can run the tsp stage 1 tune in my 2018 si and that’s a safe reliable power ? Anything I should avoid ? Maybe boosting at low rpm in 6th gear? Should I avoid low boost? Anything under 3000 rpms ? Also random question, when I boost in 3rd gear, the car will hold psi at 16, and peak at 17 I noticed tonight not even 20 min ago I was boosting 4th gear and it wasn’t holding 16-17 it was dropping slowly through out the curve like 16-15-14 .... is that normal or do I maybe have a small boost leak somewhere ?
You'll be fine on tsp stage 1. what other mods do you have besides tune?.. I would avoid WOT lower than 3k rpm.... The car could just be adujsting. does it feel any slower when the boost is dropping or does it feel normal?

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
I also just bought k tuner. I hear the 1.5t on the si could handle 340 wheel safely but that doesn’t mean ever motor so i don’t know I’m used to a k20z3 this turbo motor is new to me so I’m still learning about it
I wouldn't push the car that far personally. I cap the car at around 300hp/trq. I feel like once they reach that power mark they get a little sketchy without having any internal work done. At least rods n pistons... I'm roughly making 250hp/380-390trq. This is a rough guess since I can't dyno the car yet without a clutch lol

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
Hi guys, I want to remap my stock civic 1.5 Turbo, but have a fear of engine failing or cvt issue.
I live in Indonesia, and I heard that two civics recently have problem in boost. When they reset to factory, it even can not fix the problem. They said the car wastegate has failed, so the boost can not reach maximum target. And also in my country, the fuel available in 90,92 and 98 octane.. but I am not sure whether this is equal as 98 octane in europe.

Is it safe if I tune my car for 18 psi or 21 psi? What do you think?
You shouldn't have a problem with an out of the box tune. People tend to blow once they start messing with the tune themselves not knowing what they're doing. I'm not really too familiar with 98 octane since I can only find 93 around here but I assume it should work just fine

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
High loads at low RPMs is typically a bad idea. Can lead to LSPI (google it). Going WOT under 3K will likely cause clutch slip if you are on the OEM. Definitely don't hammer it in 6th gear. Downshift and go. A bit of boost is fine. Otherwise, the Ktuner and TSP tunes seem to be generally safe. Very few reports of issues. But, as always, "your mileage may vary". Regarding the boost tapering off, the OEM tune has a lot to be desired when it comes to how it handles boost. What you are seeing sounds normal. A leak wouldn't lead to tapering off like that.

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
High loads at low RPMs is typically a bad idea. Can lead to LSPI (google it). Going WOT under 3K will likely cause clutch slip if you are on the OEM. Definitely don't hammer it in 6th gear. Downshift and go. A bit of boost is fine. Otherwise, the Ktuner and TSP tunes seem to be generally safe. Very few reports of issues. But, as always, "your mileage may vary". Regarding the boost tapering off, the OEM tune has a lot to be desired when it comes to how it handles boost. What you are seeing sounds normal. A leak wouldn't lead to tapering off like that.
I was wondering if it had to do with my filter housing area ( stock intake ) I noticed after I put my filter in it was missing one bolt. I tightened 3 down but I’m at the store now looking for a bolt to fill that 4th spot so I didn’t know if some how that caused a leak I’m new to these l15’s

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I was wondering if it had to do with my filter housing area ( stock intake ) I noticed after I put my filter in it was missing one bolt. I tightened 3 down but I’m at the store now looking for a bolt to fill that 4th spot so I didn’t know if some how that caused a leak I’m new to these l15’s
Any leak pre turbo won't cause boost issues. Depending exactly where, it could throw off fueling, but in your case it sounds like it's pre-MAF, so other than maybe letting in some unfiltered air, it shouldn't cause any issues.

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

with the mods you listed, yes around 200-220 whp is achievable but to get to 240-250whp stock turbo runs out of air & nope it will not get there even on RON 95/96 regular fuel.

that's on a CVT
Sponsored