Favorite Brake Pads......GO!

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Z/28, '22 Ridgeline , '22 CR-V Hybrid
Country flag
Agreed. Just installed the same today
I just installed mine today at lunchtime, first impressions are very good. Firm pedal and stops well. Got home and the wheels still looked clean!:bow: So far I love them!:love:

907D7A64-D705-4176-B378-CAC35DC265CB.jpeg

274D82BF-BC4C-4630-88D5-E24CA52EEB22.jpeg
Agreed, just did the same today as I installed new wheels.

Installed:
-Enkei TS-V 18x9.5 +40 Storm Grey wheels
-Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 255/40/18 tires
-Akebono ASP1001 front ceramic pads
-Akebono ACT1878 rear ceramic pads

6hqGHY2.jpg

*** And to whomever is struggling with the rear brakes, there is no electronic or specialty tools needed. Just unplug electrical connection on caliper (for following steps), use a 7mm hex socket, unbolt lower portion of caliper. Rotate the caliper upward, pivoting on the upper remaining attached slide-bolt. Use needle nose pliers to turn the piston in clockwise.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GenXCTR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Another Akebono fan here, I always use their brake pads. Smooth braking, no dust, and cheap from Rockauto.

Swapped front and rear in at around 12K miles, have about 23K miles now. Car is a daily driver, and I do not track it.

Front: AK ASP1001
IMG_20190713_134225.jpg

Rear: AK ACT1878
IMG_20190713_143551.jpg
Since you've been riding on these for at least 3 months now how's the noise level compared to stock? Do you still feel the dust levels are much lower than stock?

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Since you've been riding on these for at least 3 months now how's the noise level compared to stock? Do you still feel the dust levels are much lower than stock?
These pads have no noise at all. Dust level I would say is minimal compared to stock. You can drive for 1-2 weeks before you see any type of very light build up.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just ordered girodisc front rotors and hawk hps 5.0 pads last night. I'm just about to hit 20k miles on the car, I have already replaced the rear pads months ago as they wear much faster with brake vectoring. Those are hawk PC.

I still have a little bit of oe pad material until the metal thingy starts scraping. Going to the dragon next month so def need a fresh pair of pads. Pretty excited to get the girodisc rotors. Wheels are 17lbs and those rotors are 20. Have a good bit of unsprung weight loss going on. Hopefully these pads don't dust much. My rears don't anymore, but the OEM pads are baaad with dust. Most times I don't even bother cleaning my wheels as soon as I go Joy riding they'll be dusty again.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
Last oil change the tech said my rear brakes and rotors are coming up for replacement. Has anyone had to do rear rotors as well as brake pads? I just turned 28k miles, not one track day, all original brakes.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Last oil change the tech said my rear brakes and rotors are coming up for replacement. Has anyone had to do rear rotors as well as brake pads? I just turned 28k miles, not one track day, all original brakes.
My rear pads lasted about 35k miles if memory serves. I didn't need the rotors swapped at the time though, haven't done that yet. I also had my front pads replaced at the same time because ear piercingly noisy :p Everything replaced with Hawk HPS 5.0. The performance is a slight downgrade (only slight) but totally fine for daily driving. They are pretty bad in cold weather, even worse than the stock pads. In wet cold weather they have a tendency to build up ice which can be scary if you aren't expecting it (I don't remember the stock pads ever doing that).

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My rear pads lasted about 35k miles if memory serves. I didn't need the rotors swapped at the time though, haven't done that yet. I also had my front pads replaced at the same time because ear piercingly noisy :p Everything replaced with Hawk HPS 5.0. The performance is a slight downgrade (only slight) but totally fine for daily driving. They are pretty bad in cold weather, even worse than the stock pads. In wet cold weather they have a tendency to build up ice which can be scary if you aren't expecting it (I don't remember the stock pads ever doing that).
35k on the rears?! Wattt. Do you drive like an old person or something? Lol mine were toast way before half of that mileage

Cmyred12

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got 60,000 miles out of my original break pads and when I took them off they still had life left in them... I drive 150 miles a day but it’s all interstate

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
35k on the rears?! Wattt. Do you drive like an old person or something? Lol mine were toast way before half of that mileage
Nope, I do engine brake though while stopping. Down shift to send the RPMs to around 2500-3000 then downshift again as it nears 2000; repeat through second gear.

My commute is also half expressway and 0 city.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nope, I do engine brake though while stopping. Down shift to send the RPMs to around 2500-3000 then downshift again as it nears 2000; repeat through second gear.

My commute is also half expressway and 0 city.
Interesting. I downshift the whole way too (since it's so easy) but every chance I get I'll go through corners, exits, and on ramps as close to the limit as comfortable, which is pretty high. I have a few really good routes to drive close to where I live and every weekend where it's not raining I'll do a bunch of spirited driving kicking in the brake vectoring constantly. I'll drive them during the week too if I'm not too tired. It's a lot of speeding up and slowing down. Plus when it's super late at night I'll hit the highway to data log high speed, high load runs to make sure the car can handle it without any knock retard. Which equates to a lot of braking from 140-160mph back down to around 80. It's not hard braking, but enough.

I had to replace my rears at just over 11k miles and I'm about to replace my fronts when my girodiscs get delivered. Though the fronts still have a little life I'm upgrading and swapping out the rotors/pads for the tail of the dragon next month.

Last edited:

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
I just installed mine today at lunchtime, first impressions are very good. Firm pedal and stops well. Got home and the wheels still looked clean!:bow: So far I love them!:love:

907D7A64-D705-4176-B378-CAC35DC265CB.jpeg

274D82BF-BC4C-4630-88D5-E24CA52EEB22.jpeg
Just wanted to give an update on these, still perfectly quiet and almost no dusting that I have noticed, very minimal!!:thumbsup: The dust was previously so bad that I would have to clean my wheels off after each and every drive since the dust was so bad! I wasn't about to risk damaging my TE37SL's!!! I daily drive mine and I feel that I have found the perfect solution for me. They also stop well when driving "Aggressively" :beer:

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Interesting. I downshift the whole way too (since it's so easy) but every chance I get I'll go through corners, exits, and on ramps as close to the limit as comfortable, which is pretty high. I have a few really good routes to drive close to where I live and every weekend where it's not raining I'll do a bunch of spirited driving kicking in the brake vectoring constantly. I'll drive them during the week too if I'm not too tired. It's a lot of speeding up and slowing down. Plus when it's super late at night I'll hit the highway to data log high speed, high load runs to make sure the car can handle it without any knock retard. Which equates to a lot of braking from 140-160mph back down to around 80. It's not hard braking, but enough.

I had to replace my rears at just over 11k miles and I'm about to replace my fronts when my girodiscs get delivered. Though the fronts still have a little life I'm upgrading and swapping out the rotors/pads for the tail of the dragon next month.
I’ll rarely hit anything about 90. Not as many twisties here so the chances to go spirited are more limited, also very flat as well. So the only major downsides I have to driving quickly is gas.

17SIYoDood

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
Country flag
Elderly people actually go thru pads faster then a millennial js. Which is mind boggling in itsel . But my pads usually last 25k... all ya gotta do is downshift brother. I have faith in you!! Lol

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Elderly people actually go thru pads faster then a millennial js. Which is mind boggling in itsel . But my pads usually last 25k... all ya gotta do is downshift brother. I have faith in you!! Lol
Yeah lol, they ride the brakes the whole time. It was more towards how they go around turns very slowly
With a lot of spirited driving and high speed turns my rears were done right after 11-12k miles. If I were to never send it through corners or go up into the top of 5th gear, or do a bunch of accelerating and braking through the twisties I'm sure they would have lasted much much longer. That's just impossible for me due to the way I drive, have fun
Sponsored