First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Hey Guys and Gals!

Wanted to update you on my brake pad selection and results. Dory now has over 41,000 miles and on her 3rd set of pads! :headbang:
I replaced the OEM with Hawk HB453N.585. Again, I DD my CTR and track a few times/year. THESE pads were wayyyyyyy better than the OEMs on the track! That was a pro. The cons......VERY dusty and noisy! Squealed intermittently and was annoying for DD. Pads lasted just over 20,000 miles and that was with 2 track days. I recently put on Project Mu Type PS F906. I LOVE THEM! Quiet and wayyyyyy less dust! Haven't been to the track with them Yet but the garage owner I go to races a GTR and an S2000 and swears by these pads!

Just another option for those who DD and track occasionally!

Have a GREAT day!:nixon:
Was this the new or old compound of the HP+? I know they had a new compound released mid-way last year with a new and enhanced compound:

TireRack Source
TireRack said:
All HP Plus product manufactured after July 16, 2018 is manufactured with the new, enhanced compound.
If it is the new compound, I'm happy I didn't grab them :p
Sponsored

turboR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR #18775 / 2002 NB Miata (track car)
Country flag
I dont see any mention of the Winmax compounds - I was thinking about W5. Anyone run those?
I am running Winmax W4 front and W3 rear with Girodisc Front Rotors and Centric Rear Rotors....absolutely KILLER set up, perfect for street and track. The track guys I know run the W5 in front for track, but mine is a DD so went with the W4. Amazing bite, hardly any noise at all and if there is, it actually sounds good! I know that sounds strange to say, but every now and then if they do make a little noise (and its not that often), its a pleasant minor squeal that sounds like you actually have expensive performance pads as opposed to it sounding like you need new pads to the untrained ear. I have not noticed any more dust really than the stock ones either, if anything I would say less dust. They do not take a long time to warm up and provide excellent bite and pedal feedback, I highly recommend them.

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Hey Guys and Gals!

Wanted to update you on my brake pad selection and results. Dory now has over 41,000 miles and on her 3rd set of pads! :headbang:
I replaced the OEM with Hawk HB453N.585. Again, I DD my CTR and track a few times/year. THESE pads were wayyyyyyy better than the OEMs on the track! That was a pro. The cons......VERY dusty and noisy! Squealed intermittently and was annoying for DD. Pads lasted just over 20,000 miles and that was with 2 track days. I recently put on Project Mu Type PS F906. I LOVE THEM! Quiet and wayyyyyy less dust! Haven't been to the track with them Yet but the garage owner I go to races a GTR and an S2000 and swears by these pads!

Just another option for those who DD and track occasionally!

Have a GREAT day!:nixon:
Where do you buy these? Can you provide a link?

OP
OP
FK8 4 Di

FK8 4 Di

First Name
Diane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I got them from the garage I get my car worked on at here in Orange County.

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
No pad can be great in the street and great at the track. Somethings gotta give.

For street only spirited driving i use stoptech sport 309s (prefix) in both my dd sports cars. They can squeal some under very very light braking applications when cold. They moderately dust too but never overheat in my application.

And dont forget considering the tires too.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I was looking at project mu club racer pads since my original rear pads are pretty much done due to brake vectoring and how I drive. There's no tracks near me but nice and twisty roads all around me. Every Saturday morning or late at night I go out and hit them hard. They'll probably be noisy but I can deal with that. Just wondering how Dusty they are and how long they last. I have Wedssports tc105x wheels which color is pretty much brake dust colored which is nice.

Hopefully I can save up for girodisc front rotors when it comes to changing my front pads. Even more unsprung weight loss.

jdm_94

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type R & 14 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No love to these pads for daily???

Honda Civic 10th gen Favorite Brake Pads......GO! 68B352B2-F079-492A-A523-4DD710C9AAFD

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Installed the Hawk HPS 5.0 today. Initial impressions are positive. The pedal feel and initial bite are very similar to stock.

CTR SHARK

First Name
karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
funk it going with hawk 5.0 as well. Tire rack sale to convenient to pass up. next holiday ill spring to upgrade to the GiroDisc Slotted 2 Piece Front Rotors.

Also, if you're running this setup please tag me and let me know how your honest impressions over stock. side note, I DD car with minimal spirited driving for reference

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
funk it going with hawk 5.0 as well. Tire rack sale to convenient to pass up. next holiday ill spring to upgrade to the GiroDisc Slotted 2 Piece Front Rotors.

Also, if you're running this setup please tag me and let me know how your honest impressions over stock. side note, I DD car with minimal spirited driving for reference
If you dd your car with minimal spirited driving why are you buying hawk 5.0 pads and two piece rotors?

Might as well roll your Js in your 20$ bills instead. You will look cooler and your $$ is put to good use. I suggest buying a wing as a second alternative instead.

As far as pads go, anything not performance would work best for your driving habits, as well as cheap centric blank rotors. That way you save your money (for the wing?) and get pads that work best with normal dd habits/heat generated. Also less noise and less dust.

Wing > slotted rotors on my coolness spectrum.

Last edited:

CTR SHARK

First Name
karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you dd your car with minimal spirited driving why are you buying hawk 5.0 pads and two piece rotors?

Might as well roll your Js in your 20$ bills instead. You will look cooler and your $$ is put to good use. I suggest buying a wing as a second alternative instead.

As far as pads go, anything not performance would work best for your driving habits, as well as cheap centric blank rotors. That way you save your money (for the wing?) and get pads that work best with normal dd habits/heat generated. Also less noise and less dust.

Wing > slotted rotors on my coolness spectrum.
Thanks @FlexRex for shaking my mason jar in your response. I see AZ just passed laws late August (of this year) so rolling dessert sage in 20's sounds like a blast lol jk watchout! haboob incoming

Now before too much smoke is in the air here in cali, hear me out - I love Honda's and I really appreciate the feedback from Xgen civic and other fellow CTR drivers that have shared there input in this post, Currently running PRL products and just made the switch to 18" RPF1s, just that setup alone has persuaded me to continue going lighter and staying cooler. I will give credit that blank rotors are great replacement for your money and there's some solid advantages as well.. but I'm in the market for noisey yet effective brake pads to compliment an upcoming Hondata upgrade. Rotors are a WANT.. not necessarily a need but there on the list somewhere in my future build

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
@CTR SHARK There is no advantages to drilled or slotted rotors over blanks, all else equal. If looking cool is an advantage than thats the only one. All else are disadvantages.

Its disputable whether lighter rotors help you also. Some would say they do, some say they dont. I say it depends when, static vs motion.

Cooler plays a role only when youre tracking and actually heating up the brakes. Unless you change your driving habits you will find out that cooler on a sports pad means less bite. Ask me how i know?

And also, you underestimate the brake dust, especially if you have light colored rims. Dust never bothered me, i wash the exterior of my car once a yr, maybe twice. But i also drive hard and brake hard otherwise my sport performance pads dont bite without some heat in them.

But hey, its your car so you do what you want with it obviously. Opinions are like fingers, everyone’s got at least a dozen.

What laws did az pass recently this yr? I have had a card for over 3yrs so i am not aware :dunno:

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
No love to these pads for daily???

68B352B2-F079-492A-A523-4DD710C9AAFD.jpeg
Another Akebono fan here, I always use their brake pads. Smooth braking, no dust, and cheap from Rockauto.

Swapped front and rear in at around 12K miles, have about 23K miles now. Car is a daily driver, and I do not track it.

Front: AK ASP1001
Honda Civic 10th gen Favorite Brake Pads......GO! IMG_20190713_134225

Rear: AK ACT1878
Honda Civic 10th gen Favorite Brake Pads......GO! IMG_20190713_143551

Last edited:

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I may need new brake pads again...need to really check mine. Past couple of days my Hawk 5.0 pads have been making some screechy/squeal noise at low speeds. I got them back in April.
Sponsored