SOLVED! Faint groan when turning at slow speeds

MrCivicHatch12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Yeah it came back and I hear it mainly when it rains. I think I've narrowed it down. I need to check it this weekend. Sounds like a ball joint that went bad and is causing some friction when turning.

Happens while turning during slow drive up an incline or turning while backing up slowly at an incline.

My guess is from the install which I did differently the first time. I popped that joint out when i did my first install...could have damaged it and now it's finally letting me know.

I used the spoon method I found later on when installing spoon springs then revel Coilovers...then back to stock.
I'm assuming the person who installed messed with somethin that caused it to make the sound! please let me know if thats the culprit for making the groaning noise. Since I dont know how to change a ball joint I might just take it in to have honda do it for me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
02SilverSiHB

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm assuming the person who installed messed with somethin that caused it to make the sound! please let me know if thats the culprit for making the groaning noise. Since I dont know how to change a ball joint I might just take it in to have honda do it for me.
lol, so I installed prokit, then spoon, then revel coilovers, now back on factory suspension. The ball joint was a pain when I first popped it out back when installing prokit...this was before I saw Spoon's method which you don't have to pop that joint out...I'm thinking I may have caused something to get torn...I'll check and let you know this weekend.

The old way that I did the first spring install...it's this part at 2:06 on this vid here: https://www.civicx.com/threads/fk8-master-spring-thread.13848/page-5#post-339576

I think that might be the part causing the issue...which sucks, as I don't know if it's possible to replace that joint...or just buy a new whole part :eek: (mentality here is not possible because of limited tools I have...guessing a press is necessary).

After prokit, when I did any other install, it was the spoon method: https://www.civicx.com/threads/spoon-springs-install-diy.27506/

OP
OP
02SilverSiHB

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I got around to checking everything. All the joints are fine bushings look good.

No idea. I'd almost say it sounds kind of like an electric motor whine sometimes...hard to describe. I don't think I'll figure out what's causing it lol

MrCivicHatch12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
So I got around to checking everything. All the joints are fine bushings look good.

No idea. I'd almost say it sounds kind of like an electric motor whine sometimes...hard to describe. I don't think I'll figure out what's causing it lol
Well , thats good to hear that all the parts are good! I wonder what the noise can be coming from then :dunno:. Do you plan to just leave it how it is or do you think there are any other possible culprits that produce the sound?

For me it sounds like a groan, Actually made a sound this morning as I was pulling into a driveway. Its almost like I can also hear the groan and feel it in the steering wheel as its returning back to the center like its unsmooth.

OP
OP
02SilverSiHB

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I installed HKS coilovers on Sunday (23 Feb)...since then...no sounds at all.

My only guess is something was a tad off going from stock, to prokit, to stock, to spoon, to stock, to revel coilovers, to stock lol...it's been fun.

MrCivicHatch12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I installed HKS coilovers on Sunday (23 Feb)...since then...no sounds at all.

My only guess is something was a tad off going from stock, to prokit, to stock, to spoon, to stock, to revel coilovers, to stock lol...it's been fun.
Just curious but how come you have been switching your suspension very frequently :eek:. and also what exactly do you think might be off from your installations

OP
OP
02SilverSiHB

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just curious but how come you have been switching your suspension very frequently :eek:. and also what exactly do you think might be off from your installations
No idea what caused it. I even took it to Honda and all was fine.

As for switching...finding the right setup. So far hks is it

OP
OP
02SilverSiHB

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It came back the other week...since I'm not working...I was able to duplicate it...see vid...louder when it's full load on the car...comes and goes probably due to raise etc

OP
OP
02SilverSiHB

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Updated first page... The shop I went to found the issue. Glad I took it to kineticautoworks and not back to freaking Honda.