Factory oil....

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Slickone, most of the links that you're offering for "proof" are just guys with opinions. That is, there's nothing backing up their statements. The type of moly used in grease is molybdenum disulfide. It's non-soluble in motor oil. Most of it ends up in the oil filter. The type of moly used in motor oil is molybdenum dithiophosphate or dithiocarbamate. These are completely soluble in motor oil. I tend to believe what Honda says in their owners manual. If they say the oil is special break-in oil and leave it in as long as possible, I'll take that advice.
Amen
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I tend to believe what Honda says in their owners manual. If they say the oil is special break-in oil and leave it in as long as possible, I'll take that advice.
The problem is that they don't say that in the OM and, though they used to, they no longer say it on their web site.

That having been said, I still see no reason to do more than Maintenance Minder asks for.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
My dealership service manager said yes it's full synthetic, mine did not ask for an oil change until 7800 miles, I do mostly highway driving.
When I checked it, it was not really all that dirty either. My dealership uses only Mobil 1 full synthetic on new Civics. If you want something else you have to ask for it.
Thanks for this. I'm also mostly highway driving. I'm at 8000 km (5000 miles), and the oil life is reading 40%. So my pace is similar to yours. I was happy to hear from you that the oil didn't look all that dirty.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
Yeah, I'm at ~8,300 miles and the maintenance minder still shows 30%. I'll wait until it shows 10% and then I'll get the first oil change.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Slickone, most of the links that you're offering for "proof" are just guys with opinions. That is, there's nothing backing up their statements. The type of moly used in grease is molybdenum disulfide. It's non-soluble in motor oil. Most of it ends up in the oil filter. The type of moly used in motor oil is molybdenum dithiophosphate or dithiocarbamate. These are completely soluble in motor oil. I tend to believe what Honda says in their owners manual. If they say the oil is special break-in oil and leave it in as long as possible, I'll take that advice.
I guess you missed this part:
"According to this information from the August 2006 issue of Honda Service News, molybdenum (moly) is applied to critical engine components during assembly which mixes with the engine oil as the engine is run."

Even without that, you're wanting us to accept your one opinion as fact over numerous other opinions that say otherwise.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I guess you missed this part:
"According to this information from the August 2006 issue of Honda Service News, molybdenum (moly) is applied to critical engine components during assembly which mixes with the engine oil as the engine is run."

Even without that, you're wanting us to accept your one opinion as fact over numerous other opinions that say otherwise.
a LOT has changed in 10 years, including Honda engines..............

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Of course. What's your point?
Something from 2006 is really not relevant to what they'd do to their first turbo engine in the Honda line....... That's my point.
Again I don't see why people are fighting over this, take care of the engine the way Honda tells you to, which is change the oil when it gets to 15% on the maintenance minder.
This is not rocket science. Who even cares what they shipped the engine with, it's what they felt was best to break the engine in with, so just do it?

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Something from 2006 is really not relevant to what they'd do to their first turbo engine in the Honda line....... That's my point.
Again I don't see why people are fighting over this, take care of the engine the way Honda tells you to, which is change the oil when it gets to 15% on the maintenance minder.
This is not rocket science. Who even cares what they shipped the engine with, it's what they felt was best to break the engine in with, so just do it?
Sure it's relevant. Regardless of the time period, they used to use moly based lube, and I don't have proof that they've stopped. Do you?

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sure it's relevant. Regardless of the time period, they used to use moly based lube, and I don't have proof that they've stopped. Do you?
Nope, and I don't care, if I do what Honda tells me to with the engine, and something fails, it's their problem not mine.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
The Honda web site FAQ item that pretty much started the whole discussion used to says that because the factory fill was somehow special for break-in, you should not change early. That item is no longer there. The old version is still in the Internet archive. The new version is there today. This happened in the last eight months or so. Did Honda change something in factory reality or only in Internet reality? Only Honda knows.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
The Honda web site FAQ item that pretty much started the whole discussion used to says that because the factory fill was somehow special for break-in, you should not change early. That item is no longer there. The old version is still in the Internet archive. The new version is there today. This happened in the last eight months or so. Did Honda change something in factory reality or only in Internet reality? Only Honda knows.
Yes, but that was for a special break in oil, like you and I discussed on page 1.
My recent argument was initially was to jks who said it still uses break in oil because recent UOA's that show hi moly content, and my mention that the moly could just be from the assembly lube.
But it seems some people this morning somehow think I'm saying they're still using break in oil, when if anything, I supported the opposite.

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
These days the argument is somewhat mute. Honda's oil life sensor is reported to be quite accurate, as reported by UOAs on other models. So while it may be questionable to change the factory fill early, there's no evidence to support any significant harm in changing it at or near the recommended interval (factory fill that is).
Sponsored