Factory oil....

essessemm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
This is true... Hopefully they replaced that oil with the same factory oil.
Yep. I asked. They dumped the same oil back in mine. On the other hand the guys in the service dept had no clue what I was talking about when I mentioned Honda's break-in oil.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Oddly enough, that recommendation from Honda, and its allusion to a special "break-in" oil, disappeared from their web site somewhere in the last six months. There's a thread somewhere here (maybe this one?) with both the old version (courtesy of waybackmachine) and the new one.
You're right. It was there in November, since I posted it here:
http://www.civicx.com/threads/first-oil-from-factory-and-oil-change-discussion.682/#post-7058

So I wonder if that means they aren't using break-in oil anymore, or maybe they don't want a bunch of customers questioning the oil added back when performing the recall.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
So I wonder if that means they aren't using break-in oil anymore, or maybe they don't want a bunch of customers questioning the oil added back when performing the recall.
I've wondered the same. And even the words never exactly made it clear it the oil was special just for break-in, or it was to a Honda spec that maybe not all other API certified oils are assured of having but was what you'd get in the Honda-branded retail oil anyway.

At any rate, put me on the side of changing it on Maintenance Minder's schedule and opposed to changing it because of folklore at first 1K or every 3k or 3 months.

FC1rob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring & 97 Civic Coupe Turbo
Our dealership uses Eneos Full Syn 0w-20, I also asked one of our master techs if Honda uses special break-in oil and he said nope.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Does the Touring 1.5 turbo come from the factory with 0w20 synthetic??
Thanks p
My dealership service manager said yes it's full synthetic, mine did not ask for an oil change until 7800 miles, I do mostly highway driving.
When I checked it, it was not really all that dirty either. My dealership uses only Mobil 1 full synthetic on new Civics. If you want something else you have to ask for it.

AZlai25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Aveo
Sorry people, there is Absolutely NO Special break in oil in the 2016 civic in any model or trim level. It is plain synthetic blend oil manufactured for Honda America by Phillips66.
Please people, stop all of the Special oil BS!!!!
I just got my Civic EX today and I'm a little confused on how the break in my car. This is my first brand new car. It it okay to drive it on the freeway? I have a trip to California next week. Is it okay to drive it?

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just got my Civic EX today and I'm a little confused on how the break in my car. This is my first brand new car. It it okay to drive it on the freeway? I have a trip to California next week. Is it okay to drive it?
Reading the owners manual for how to do the break in is best

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
Sorry people, there is Absolutely NO Special break in oil in the 2016 civic in any model or trim level. It is plain synthetic blend oil manufactured for Honda America by Phillips66.
Please people, stop all of the Special oil BS!!!!
How do you know this? I know that Phillips 66 has the contract for Honda's factory-fill oil, but that doesn't mean Phillips 66, or any other blender, couldn't make a break-in oil to Honda's specs. If you look at the oil analysis reports on the break-in oil on this site you'll notice a large shot of moly (>600ppm) which is unusual. Also, if you've read any of the SAE papers that Honda engineers have written about their motor oil testing, you'll know that they greatly favor molydenum as an anti-wear/anti-friction additive. I tried to find an oil analysis of off-the-shelf Phillips 66 oil but was unable. That would confirm whether or not the factory-fill oil is custom blended.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
How do you know this? I know that Phillips 66 has the contract for Honda's factory-fill oil, but that doesn't mean Phillips 66, or any other blender, couldn't make a break-in oil to Honda's specs. If you look at the oil analysis reports on the break-in oil on this site you'll notice a large shot of moly (>600ppm) which is unusual. Also, if you've read any of the SAE papers that Honda engineers have written about their motor oil testing, you'll know that they greatly favor molydenum as an anti-wear/anti-friction additive. I tried to find an oil analysis of off-the-shelf Phillips 66 oil but was unable. That would confirm whether or not the factory-fill oil is custom blended.
The engine parts are coated with moly when assembled.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
I think not. The reason is that early Honda factory-fill oil analysis samples (before 2002) showed about 1000ppm of moly pretty consistently. Then in 2003, the factory-fill formulation changed and Honda dialed back the amount of moly to about 600ppm. That also was fairly consistent.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Engine assembly lube is high in moly.

Honda assembly moly paste
https://www.amazon.com/Honda-08798-9010-MOLY-PASTE-M77/dp/B0083BWUYW

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2235226
"Honda does not use a special "break-in" oil loaded with moly. What they do is slather engine parts with an assembly lube to prevent scuffing during manufacture. This is what accounts for the high moly content in UOAs of first-change Honda oils.
Typically, the assembly lube is nothing more than a regular motor oil mixed with some molybdenum disulfide paste (yes, that's really all it is).
Pro Honda Moly 60 paste is actually recommended in OEM Honda service manuals as the special ingredient to use when creating their recommended assembly lube.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...e/42349-factory-fill-oil-special-any-way.html
Is the factory fill oil special in any way?
No, but there's another important reason to leave the factory fill in until the first scheduled maintenance is due. (although one of the Alabama employees did say that Honda uses Mobil 1 for the factory fill.)
According to this information from the August 2006 issue of Honda Service News, molybdenum (moly) is applied to critical engine components during assembly which mixes with the engine oil as the engine is run.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2222796
Honda doesn't use factory fill engine oil with high moly content, but they do use assembly lube with very high moly content in their engines. I thought the myths about a special factory fill engine oil used by Honda were put to rest when the August 2006 Honda Service News Bulletin came out. Page 4 addressed the issue very specifically.
Honda was addressing an issue with their techs about customers bringing their new cars in for early oil changes because the oil was turning dark quickly. Honda told the techs to explain to the customers that the reason the oil was turning dark quickly was because of the high moly content of the assembly lube used during manufacture, and not because the oil was dirty and needed changed before the recommended service interval. They explained that the factory oil was high quality GF-4 engine oil and changing it early should be discouraged.
That was the basic jist of it, but here is a discussion we had about the bulletin on another site back in 2006:
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/441885-final-word-on-break-in-oil/
Honda came out with their own oil spec after this bulletin, so maybe that is what they use now, with high moly content assembly lube too.

Yes, I remember the service bulletin and it's now not accessible. However, it's just as IndyMac stated. At that time (2006) Honda's explanation for rapidly darkening factory fill oil was that the hi moly assembly lube was causing it.
Now since then, Honda has come out with the 0w oils, which have 800ish ppm of moly in them. Did the oil back then have this much moly?

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums...-fill-oil-mobil1-amsoil-oil-service-life.html
The engine oil looks that way because of molybdenum (that’s “moly” for short), a special lubricant applied by the factory to critical engine
components during assembly.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/civic-si/97989-factory-fill-oil-analysis-4146-miles.html
Let's clear something up. "Break-in oil" is nothing more than XOM-sourced oil mixed with moly-rich assembly paste.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-38406.html
The factory applies a moly lubricant to the engine components during assembly.

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ysis-results-factory-break-oil-synthetic.html
The Moly is probably from engine assembly lube that mixes into the oil after startup.

Yes, I agree that it's probably moly assembly lube.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/automobiles/rubbing-out-friction-in-the-push-for-mileage.html
Low-friction coatings, typically containing molybdenum, are applied to the piston’s sides by a number of automakers to help the parts slide more easily.
Pistons in the 1.8-liter engine of the 2012 Honda Civic carry a molybdenum treatment applied in a polka-dot pattern.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2014/10/break-in-oils-and-assembly-lube-needs/
Assembly lubes are typically a light moly-based, high-pressure grease or specially formulated oil with extreme pressure additives and rust inhibitors.

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussio...ngine-break-in-and-first-oil-change-questions
Most oils contain molybdenum, but the analyzed factory-fill oils from Hondas show a LOT of moly - three-hundred parts per million or more when many oils typically show less than 100 ppm.* That may indicate a special break-in oil. But it may not, either. All automakers liberally slather on a thick assembly goo to protect the sliding parts at first start-up until oil pressure builds throughout the engine. It's possible that the assembly lube that Honda uses during engine build is particularly rich in moly.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Honda knows what is best for the engine they designed and built, so just follow your freakin owners manual! Geeze why is this so difficult

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just drive it normally - no hot rodding or hard braking unless necessary for the first few hundred miles (per page 403 in the owner's manual pdf). On your trip it's fine to go the speed limit or slightly over but be sure to vary your speed some to break everything in. You can do it best on the freeway with your right foot but using the cruise control and accelerating/slowing +-5 to 10 mph every few minutes is also okay.

Last edited:

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
Slickone, most of the links that you're offering for "proof" are just guys with opinions. That is, there's nothing backing up their statements. The type of moly used in grease is molybdenum disulfide. It's non-soluble in motor oil. Most of it ends up in the oil filter. The type of moly used in motor oil is molybdenum dithiophosphate or dithiocarbamate. These are completely soluble in motor oil. I tend to believe what Honda says in their owners manual. If they say the oil is special break-in oil and leave it in as long as possible, I'll take that advice.
Sponsored