Featured FACE LIFT TYPE R SPOTTED? Check out the pic. What do you think?

1. Ouhei

Ouhei Senior Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Car(s):
    2019 CW CTR
    I don't think a smaller wing is going to really do much, the Civic hatch's styling is pretty aggressive all around.

Personally I think the wing balances the car out and it looks awkward without it, but if they did it as an option (like the STI) I don't really care. I am intrigued by the updated vents, want to see them on a CW, but if I could buy them painted I could see myself grabbing them at some point.

2. thatonedaveguy

thatonedaveguy Senior Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Car(s):
    19' CW CTR #22487
    The Type R looks best with the huge wing for sure but I'm all for them coming out with a cheaper non touring model.

3. softmando

softmando New Member

First Name:
    Armando
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Civic Sport Touring
  4. forrestbb

forrestbb Member

STCA
    First Name:
    Forrest
    Car(s):
    2018 RR CTR, Civic SI-2008 sedan

According to Autowise.com,
    "One of the most exciting of all upcoming 2021 hatchbacks out there has to be the Civic Type R, though. Honda is apparently working on two differently priced versions of its hot hatch, but both should be among the best choices in their segment. By the time they arrive, 350 horsepower will have been a given in the segment, so expect a figure in that region."
    https://autowise.com/2021-hatchbacks/

i just want the 350 horses. Whatever they did/do to get 350 I want to do to mine.(maybe like what they did in making the TCR??
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a28325347/2019-honda-civic-type-r-tcr-drive/
    "engine utilizes stock internals with a larger turbocharger turbine, a custom exhaust, a lightweight flywheel, and an ECU tune that combine for 340 horsepower"

Assuming also if Honda can do it, then its covered under warranty; no more illegal modding issue. Delaership can't tell me not to mod anymore. Here's hoping for the best.

5. WindJunkie

WindJunkie Senior Member

Car(s):
    2019 CTR #24,174
  6. jayevo23

jayevo23 Senior Member

First Name:
    Jay
    Car(s):
    Evo
    I don't know. I cant see Honda making that drastic of change to the Type R. Could be wrong tho, but I got a feeling people are going to be disappointed with the amount changes they make to the 2020 or 2021. If they do, it will more than likely be some type of special edition version to send off the current gen that will cost a fortunate.

7. slab42

slab42 Member

Car(s):
    07 Accord EX V6
    My guess is they will have 3 trims:
    Type R touring
    Type R sport
    Type R Nurburgring Edition (limited production, phoenix yellow)

100% pure speculation, nothing to back it up besides my gut feelings lol

8. aaaglen

aaaglen New Member

First Name:
    Glen
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R
    I don't buy it. Most of the people here are talking about aesthetics. That's not what this car is all about. This car was designed and engineered to be a track car and more specifically to beat the Nurburgring lap time set by it's sales competition. There was a lot of engineering put into the aerodynamics and specifically the wing. This is one of the few cars in the world that actually produces down force. Most cars reduce lift, but don't produce down force. The wing produces 66 lbs of actual down force at 124 mph.

The following article explains the engineering that went into it, pre and post Nurburgring runs.

2017 Honda Civic Type R: What's Up With the Wing?
    https://www.cars.com/articles/2017-honda-civic-type-r-whats-up-with-the-wing-1420697626310/

There are other sightings of the 2020 model on the Nurburgring and they all still have the wing. You could make several arguments for going to a 19" wheel (i.e., faster acceleration, lower center of gravity for better handling, but you would give up ground clearance and I'm not sure they would do this for a daily driver.

This is more likely just some random one off modded car from who knows where. It's not at a track or facility, almost looks like some random neighborhood. Honda would most likely use enclosed trailers for transporting their autos or at least a more substantial trailer than a one auto transport. They have all kinds of test equipment to haul to the track and likely take multiple vehicles.

9. tinyman392

tinyman392 Senior Member

First Name:
    Marcus
    Car(s):
    '18 Civic Type R (RR)
    You don’t get a lower car for going to 19”. You just get a thicker tire wall. It’s possible you get a small weight reduction in rotational mass, but Honda’s OE rims tend to be heavy to begin with.

10. aaaglen

aaaglen New Member

First Name:
    Glen
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R
    I appreciate your input, but depending on certain assumptions, which were not the main point of the comment, either or both of us would actually be correct.
    I was making the assumption that they used the same Aspect Ratio (30).
    You are assuming they are using specifically a (35) aspect ratio, and then the ride height does not change like you said.
    If they used a (40) aspect ratio, then the ride height would actually be higher.
    It would probably make more sense to go with the (35) Aspect Ratio so everything, like you said, will stay the same.

245.30.20 245.30.19 245.35.19 245.40.19

Diameter 25.79 24.79 25.75 26.71

Section Width 9.65 9.65 9.65 9.65

Sidewall 2.89 2.89 3.38 3.86

http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/carclub/tiresize.html calculator used for the above computations.

I also agree with your rotational mass comment.

11. tinyman392

tinyman392 Senior Member

First Name:
    Marcus
    Car(s):
    '18 Civic Type R (RR)
    Why would you assume one would use the same aspect ratio? Most wheel shops you go to recommend a new tire size for the rim you're mounting because the rim width and diameter change and they want to stay as close to stock as possible. It also makes it much better for fitment overall since it becomes one less variable to deal with. Unless you're going with a wider tire (while downsizing diameter) I don't know of any tire shop that would recommend you keep the same aspect ratio when downsizing your rim size.

12. jinderC

jinderC Guest

Arguing over things that probably won’t happen lol.

Wheel_Guy thanked this.
  13. smc_stefan

smc_stefan Member

First Name:
    Stefan
    Car(s):
    RAM 1500
    If you look closely at the picture from page 1 you will notice the CTR on the truck already has the new facelift rear bumper. Hard to imagine someone modded his CTR with parts which are not available yet, plus the protective stickers on the logos and the 19" Honda wheels.

This doesn't look like a homemade mod to me...

14. sean465

sean465 Senior Member

Car(s):
    Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
  15. smc_stefan

smc_stefan Member

First Name:
    Stefan
    Car(s):
    RAM 1500
    There are strong rumors about three different versions, like mentioned above, here in Europe. Would be nice to see them soon, guess we will know more around spring 2020.

Currently the CTR is offered in three different trims here, which make no sense, as they are just differently fitted with electronics, so almost everybody takes the fully loaded GT trim.