F1 Talk Anyone?

Vaders CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 CLA 45 AMG & '22 Ariel Atom 4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought Alonso had the fastest lap of the race? Lap 69 I think they said. Either way, Honda/McLaren seem to be on the move!

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
I'm not holding my breath for another 6th place with Spa and Monza coming up. I expect Alonso will take a big penalty at Monza with a complete drive-line change to maximize their chances at Singapore.

OP
OP
UFO CTR

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
I'm not holding my breath for another 6th place with Spa and Monza coming up. I expect Alonso will take a big penalty at Monza with a complete drive-line change to maximize their chances at Singapore.
Yeah, I think will take a lot of penalty for the balance of the season...they have to fix all these engine reliability and power issues before going into the off season, as it will be impossible to make such a big jump in reliability and power in just the off season...So I totally agree with you; probably not just for Singapore; maybe for all the tighter tracks that requires less straight line speed. Hopefully, the Honda engineers finally have a handle of the power unit! I'm loving it!! hate to see Mclaren on the bottom! :thumbsup:

Vaders CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 CLA 45 AMG & '22 Ariel Atom 4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you guys see in Autoweek they reported that Honda has a new spec 4 engine package that will debut next race at Spa-Francorchamps? The article stated that it adds 15 HP. Further good news is Honda has a Spec 5 that will be adding 40 HP! Both of these upgrades were suppose to put Honda within 45 HP of Ferrari and Mercedes Benz.

As long as the reliability is there, all good things!

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Thanks Vader!!

Alonso's fastest lap.

OP
OP
UFO CTR

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
Did you guys see in Autoweek they reported that Honda has a new spec 4 engine package that will debut next race at Spa-Francorchamps? The article stated that it adds 15 HP. Further good news is Honda has a Spec 5 that will be adding 40 HP! Both of these upgrades were suppose to put Honda within 45 HP of Ferrari and Mercedes Benz.

As long as the reliability is there, all good things!
yea, Kritz and I was talking about Honda/Mclaren taking more grid penalties to introduce these spec 4 and spec 5 engineer! Yes!! Honda is on the uppidy up!

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
Good to see Honda power coming around. Alonso sure is ready for it!

Great read here about Kubica's outstanding journey and his chances at a comeback, just out from BBC Sport:

-Kubica's last season was his finest. In the Renault, not a fully competitive car, he put in some stunning performances, the best ones at the three greatest drivers' circuits on the calendar - Monaco, Spa and Suzuka. He qualified second, third and fourth at those races, places the car had no right to be. And was equally impressive in the grands prix.

Kubica had to stop his TV interviews immediately after qualifying in Japan because he found he could not speak. He went away to sit by himself for 10 minutes while he contemplated what he had just done.

Renault sporting director Alan Permane, who has been instrumental in organising Kubica's tests, says: "Suzuka qualifying in 2010 was a lap like I've never seen from anyone else, ever. He came in absolutely white, having scared the life out of himself."

From a man who has been in F1 for more than 25 years and worked alongside Michael Schumacher and Alonso, that is quite a compliment.

The seriousness with which Renault are taking this is evident from how little they are saying about it - details are hard to come by; team members simply will not speak about the tests other than in the broadest terms.

The last question in the minds of both Kubica and the team was whether he could handle a 2017 car.

On Wednesday, he completed 142 laps in temperatures in the mid-to-high 30Cs. His fastest lap times were a little slower than those set by Jolyon Palmer, the slower of the two Renault race drivers, in qualifying at last weekend's race.

But it is notoriously hard to make a judgement from lap times in testing, because the teams do not give details of the specifications they run in. Track conditions also vary.

It was hotter, and therefore slower, on Wednesday than on the race weekend. But there was more rubber on the track, which would make it faster.

Fuel loads also have a big effect. Had, for example, Kubica been running with 30kg of fuel on those laps, a normal sort of testing fuel load, that is worth an extra second of lap time.

At the same time, Kubica was nearly two seconds quicker than what Canadian Nicholas Latifi, a Formula Two driver, managed on the first day of the test.

And when he did a long run shortly after lunch, his laps were quicker than the best times Palmer and team-mate Nico Hulkenberg set in the race on the same type of tyres.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/40780771

http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/20233515/how-quick-was-robert-kubica-return

Last edited:

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
I'm having withdrawal.:banghead:

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag

Thank you Gilles! :thumbsup: What I also like about Kubica is how he reminds me of Gilles who never gave up, and the pure talent from a true racer who lives for the speed.
Gilles' first win in Canada in 1978 was followed by Kubica's first win also in Canada 30 years later. Both fearless and sometimes wreckless, Kubica's miraculous return evokes Villeneuve's great fighting spirit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UFO CTR

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
simple, cause Hammie is a good driver! Happy to see the IceMan back to team Red for another year!
Sponsored