racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Well.. I think we all know ONE seat that will be at Force India (cough.. Stroll.. cough)

Wonder if there will be a shakeup at Haas... and beyond that, I think it comes down to who either still has or can get, an FIA Superlicense. There seems to be a lot of "young" talent, but not all of them can make the jump to F1 yet. And its obvious that some of the lesser teams (sorry Williams, I am looking at you) will need $$$ to fill a seat, not merely skill.

Sad that a driver like Pascal Wehrlien (sp) can't find a seat.. not sad that Ericson lost his seat..

OP
OP
UFO CTR

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
I'm hoping Haas is in talks with Ocon...but because of Ocon's Mecedes link, Ferrari may not allow that to happen.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, Ericsson was just taking up a seat that could be used for someone fresh. Dude hasn't really done anything in years.

OP
OP
UFO CTR

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Yeah, Ericsson was just taking up a seat that could be used for someone fresh. Dude hasn't really done anything in years.
Ericson was the $$ behind Sauber for a while... that's likely why he was kept on as a back up. Ferrari needed to dump Raikkonnen somewhere or relive the nightmare of when the paid him not to drive after winning for them. Now with "Ferrari" engines, they have more pull over Sauber would be my guess.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I heard he went there because he was tired of playing 2nd fiddle to Vettel and now that they have Ferrari backing they might have a chance to run a lot better after dumping some more monies into R&D. If Leclerc is having a good season driving for them, let's see what Kimmi and his experience can do next year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UFO CTR

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
I heard he went there because he was tired of playing 2nd fiddle to Vettle and now that they have Ferrari backing they might have a chance to run a lot better after dumping some more monies into R&D. If Leclerc is having a good season riving for them, let's see what Kimmi and his experience can do next year.
yes, and he will end up owning part of the team. also, sauber can total use the "model" Haas is using, by using Ferrari suspension components and transmission/gearbox. it makes total sense, since Sauber is Alfa Romeo. again, I might be on the limb here, but Sauber will probably be quick next year.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
I hope you are right that Sauber returns to some of their earlier glories. I do believe Kimi does just "want to race". Not sure I see him as an "owner" but if it gets you in the door, why not. After seeing Williams 3 years ago climb from the gutters and now return to them, we should all realize success is fickle in FI. Takes money, then talent.. and their's only 1 Adrian Newey out there to design what is likely the best car.. only to be saddled with tempermental Renault motors.

Back when McLaren, Williams and Red Bull were winning championships, it was due to Factory supported engine programs.. but with Renault, Mercedes and Ferrari (always for Ferrari) running their own programs, all "customer" teams have suffered.

Not looking forward to Sochi.. I have always found that to be a boring racetrack.

nickjohn35

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2017 PMM Typer R. Former: 2004 350Z
Country flag
The 2019 F1 grid as it stands
  • Mercedes – Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas
  • Ferrari – Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc
  • Red Bull – Max Verstappen and Pierre Gasly
  • Renault – Daniel Ricciardo and Nico Hulkenberg
  • Haas – TBC
  • McLaren – Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris
  • Force India – TBC
  • Toro Rosso – TBC
  • Sauber – Kimi Raikkonen and Antonio Giovinazzi
  • Williams – TBC
Just read that Haas will keep Grosjean and Magnussen for 2019.

OP
OP
UFO CTR

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
I think F1 is too expensive, and I see a pattern: deep pocket teams tense to do well...look at the big 3 (Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull). All three team spent around $600M last year to run the team...by comparison, Haas spent, something like $120M. So it's pretty easy to see that how well a team does in F1 is a total function of how deep their pockets are. With new injection of cash from Fiat/Alfa, Sauber will be definite midfield contender next year. :thumbsup: