Extended warranty for 2016-2018 Turbo/drivetrain due to oil dillution?

1. Micah

Micah Senior Member

Car(s):
    '17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
    Agreed. I bought this car to drive it. Now they are telling me I have six years to put on as many miles as I can. Challenge accepted

2. herox

herox Senior Member

Car(s):
    '18 Civic SI
    I came to a different conclusion. Keep in mind VW/Audi aren't offering warranty extensions for their direct injection engines even though they are experiencing severe carbon buildup and catastrophic engine failures. Honda is confident enough to give everyone an additional year and UNLIMITED miles. At the very least, you will have 6 years after purchase to decide whether or not you want to keep the vehicle.

defeated and xbbnx thanked this.
  3. 1981CBX

1981CBX Senior Member

First Name:
    William
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Touring Coupe (owned) 2018 Accord base model (leased) 1981 Honda CBX motorcycle
    off-the-cuff, not a mechanic or an engineer, but I’d rather have a little bit of gasoline in my oil than the oil gelling problem that the Toyotas had back in the 90s.

4. Gruber

Gruber Senior Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L

The most important thing here is that if you drive short trips in your Volkswagen and start the engine cold often per number of miles driven, you have to also change your oil more often. Not any different than Honda. Short trips are not good for any ICE.

These Volkswagen schedules are for both diesel and gasoline engines. The long life oil is the same. Castrol and nothing else. My civic is not diesel, but the oil still gets quite black from soot.

All oil used in cars today is detergent oil. The civic requires a detergent oil. The last time car engines used non-detergent oil was before oil filters....quite long time ago.

The story about new oil stripping protection from engine parts sounds fascinating. I wonder if this description comes from "Volkswagen engineers" or just imaginative internet users. I hope it only refers to the factory fill. Premature change of this factory oil may prevent forming the full protective surface layer, but will not strip anything already formed.

Funny thing is that the long intervals "flexible" schedule performed by Volkswagen will not save you any noticeable amount of money. There will be less services, but they will cost more each. So the driver on the variable schedule has to be happy with just less bother and less waste oil. But she will always have the anxiety "am I wearing out my engine? should I switch to the fixed schedule?" as is evident from VW forums.

5. bumbobee

bumbobee Member

First Name:
    Peter
    Car(s):
    2019 Honda Civic Hatchback LX CVT
    Why is the CVT dreaded? I got a 2019 Hatch 1.5 with the CVT.

6. gtman

gtman Senior Member

CivicX addict
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Car(s):
    2017 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-L
    Just his opinion. I like it overall.

7. NoHonor937

NoHonor937 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
    Lol yet I still see a shit ton of new Honda’s being bought. The majority of Honda owners have no clue or don’t care. Remember a lot of Honda owners are older generation looking for a high mpg car. If it shits in ten years? Oh well. They just buy a new one.

8. 1981CBX

1981CBX Senior Member

First Name:
    William
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Touring Coupe (owned) 2018 Accord base model (leased) 1981 Honda CBX motorcycle
    I was driving 62 miles one way on a commute getting about 52 MPG. Here is the link to the information I found interesting during my tenure as a oil burner...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2340534&postcount=27

9. 1981CBX

1981CBX Senior Member

First Name:
    William
    Car(s):
    Two totally different machines, I'm on my third oil set in 12,000 miles. One was because I added a Sirimoto oil cooler at 7,000 miles, so the factory oil went out the window. Just checked it recently due to the gasoline in the oil apocalypse at 12,000 miles and replaced it.

Civics4Ever thanked this.
  10. Gruber

Gruber Senior Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
    Very true. :yes: Particularly Honda civic has been always known as the old&rich people vehicle. These folks just buy a new one and don't give damn. Honda knows that, and that's why the civic is so unreliable. What can we, the poor young people, do? Which car are we supposed to buy?:hmm:
    :rolleyes1:

11. gtman

gtman Senior Member

CivicX addict
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Car(s):
    2017 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-L
    Realistically, what percentage of owners keep their cars 10 years plus? This panicking over oil dilution is a bit much. Am I worried? Not really. Honda is confident enough to offer a 6 year unlimited mileage warranty on the engine. And considering I generally keep my cars 6-7 years, I feel good about my choice of buying the 1.5 turbo.

Civics4Ever thanked this.
  12. max

max Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 civic ex 1.5t cvt
    i used to have a 2016 2.0NA i now have a 2018 1.5T if i could do it all over again i would still go with 1.5T every single time. it's just much more fun and faster car.

CVTsport18, Civics4Ever and civicls thanked this.
  13. Civics4Ever

Civics4Ever Rally Red EXT

Swimming pool tech
    First Name:
    Gene
    Car(s):
    99 Civic DX, 16 EXT Civic Coupe
    It was more of an expression, just that you cant mod it as much as a manual. I actually love the CVT. It works fine and I haven't had any trouble with it for the nearly three years that I've had the car.

14. Civics4Ever

Civics4Ever Rally Red EXT

Swimming pool tech
    First Name:
    Gene
    Car(s):
    99 Civic DX, 16 EXT Civic Coupe
    Unreliable? Shirley u must be joking?

15. darkness975

darkness975 dream reaper

Car(s):
    2017 EX-T
    I was planning to keep mine for 10 years or so.

I was not aware of this whole oil dilution whatever thing until the recall I got for the AC Control Unit Something or another.

I live in a place that does get cold in winter. But I always run the car for a good while before taking off (whether it is hot or cold out) and I am religious about changing oil between 4 - 5 K. I am not one of those people that changes it whenever and runs it far past when it should be between oil changes.

I walk to work. But I do make short trips on most days after work, and since my parents live an hour away or so I do take longer trips to see them and go other places on weekends now and then.

Is this really something to be losing sleep over? I hope not ...