Experiences putting regular gas in Sport/Sport Touring Models?

Zerostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit, Honda CR-V
Country flag
I know premium is recommended but not required in Sport and Sport Touring Civic Hatchback models.

Does anyone here put regular in their Sport model and if so how has that experience been? Does it drive normal, any warning lights or knocking, etc.?
Sponsored

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
My wife accidentally put a tank of 87 octane in my SI. Didn't have any issues except a little less power. The knock sensor will protect you from any damage.

Branch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport, '07 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
I tested regular vs premium several times on my Sport auto. No issues with regular except for loss in power. If your a sporty driver then the difference is noticeable. I settled on staying with premium.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How long before Knocking occurs?

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
while i dont have the sport or touring, i use 87 runs fine as it should. got a tuner and put 91 for the first time before any tune and what i notice was more power (witness by more wheel spin) and double the rev hang. i have the 6 speed. i don't know that i've ever heard knock even though i lug the engine sometimes.

thatwhiteSi

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
I use 87 sometimes in my Si. Haven't noticed anything abnormal. Maybe a bit less power but thats it.

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did an experiment recently while on a road trip (Vegas to northern Cali and back on I-5) and testing out 87 vs 91 octane in my '18 sport hatch cvt. With 87 octane and cruise set at 85mph, noticed lack of power and the cruise control accelerated to maintain speed far more often. Average mpg didn't go above 34 for that tank. With the tank of 91 octane, cruise also set to 85mph, the cruise control didn't have to open up the throttle as much and average mpg didn't drop below 36.5.

Road conditions for both tanks I observed were fairly constant -- flat-ish with little variance in road grade.

duraz0rz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring - Sonic Grey
Country flag
I really haven't noticed a difference between 87 and 93 in my car. Probably a bit lower gas mileage, but I haven't taken the time to measure as I don't really drive that often.

akirarex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag

Around the 4:15 minute mark it is basically explained that the ecu is always controlling knock, and even with high octane gasoline it is still controlling knock (as it should always be). The range being 100 percent (max knock control) and the lowest being 54 percent. ..... 91 octane is 70-75% knock control.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I started my own study 5yrs ago on my 2013 Si. Long story short it wasn't about the octane but where I bought the fuel. Like at certain stations all fuel made my Si run sluggish.
( Speedway, Wal-Mart, Cosco, BP ) where maybe the fuels have heavy detergents. Like Sunoco, Shell, Chevron 87 ran better than Speedway premium. Also noticed a certain Shell and Sunoco that were less than 2yrs old station had some real pep in all grades. So I just stuck with 87 Sunoco for the next two years. No issues and was getting better mpg than my wife's 13 ex civic cvt. Go figure.

Gm52380

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
For most of my fill ups, I've used 93 octane. I've used 89 a couple of times, but mid grade isn't always available everywhere. I don't notice much of a difference. Personally, I knew going into it that the Sport/Sport Touring recommended Premium, so that's what I put in it. The car will adjust if you fill with 87, so no, you won't ruin your car if you do fill it with 87. I'd rather put in 93 and know that I'm getting the most out of my car. That said, to me, it's most important the brand of gas that I put in the car, as I try to put in the high detergent gas sold at Shell, Mobil, BP...etc. I stay away from the bargain gas stations personally, such as Sams Club, Thortons, etc.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
I don't have a Sport Touring, as it's not sold in this country. Not even sure what the equivalent would be. However I do use E10 blend of fuel in mine and in terms of fuel efficiency there is no difference. The E10 is RON 94 and Regular Unleaded that I have put in it was RON 95. Not sure what that converts to for the system Americans use for fuel.

akirarex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
I can attest that Shell gasoline lasts longer in my car (more miles per gallon), and I have never had a problem with Shell gas. And I primarily seek out Shell stations. Costco apparently has good quality gasoline. I have had issues with gas stations that primarily sell food as their main selling attraction (Sheetz) and would not recommend places like this for gasoline. I 100 percent agree that the brand of gas station has more to do with performance or issues than some smaller differences in octane from what I have experienced in other Hondas over the years.
Sponsored