Experience with the EZ Car Lift

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
That is toooooo scary considering there is no bottom platform.
Everything is strong until it fails. Quickjack is way safer and that is also why it does not need the handicap of crossbeams.

I support your desire and initiative but can see those legs folding in a twisting motion while torque is being applied undercar.
Sponsored

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The crossbeams are non load bearing so no worries there. Their purpose is solely to connect the (2) lifting ramps together and to transfer the rotational torque needed to turn the driveshaft of the slave ramp. Boytcho says both the slave and driver ramps are capable of supporting the rated load independently. If one were to somehow fail, the other ramp would prevent the car from crashing down.

EZ Car Lift has been around for awhile, so if there were failures, I’m sure word would be out there.

The lifting mechanism is based on a screwthreads passing through bushings and also has a failsafe. Any failure would occur during operation either up or down, not when the car is raised and static when we are under it.

The torque on the EZ Car Lift is at its greatest prior to lifting when it’s flat and does not have leverage, hence when using a (2) speed drill, we begin with the drill’s lowest “gear” then switch to high speed once the ramp lifts the car about 25%. Sounds counter intuitive, but the higher the ramps extend the stronger it is, up to its 26” maximum height.

My background is a mechanic and now Maintenance Supervisor working in power plants where we rig and lift equipment weighing up to 100+ tons, using cranes, hydraulic rams and screw jacks.

I am confident the EZ Car Lift is perfectly safe and my preference is for a mechanical lift rather than hydraulic. That said, it is a good practice to inspect the lift before each use, making sure it has proper lube and there are no brass shavings indicating the bushings are stripping out. This would certainly be cause for concern. So far none detected and I’ve used it a bunch of times in the short time I’ve owned one.

Don’t have experience using the Quickjack, but looked into that option before going with EZ Car Lift. I am sure it’s an excellent lift also, at a slightly more affordable price point and safe as well. Just would rather not deal with hoses, potential oil leaks or the heavier ramps to move around and the EZ lift is portable enough to throw in the hatch and take to a friend’s house or to the track (if I get to that point, heh)

That is toooooo scary considering there is no bottom platform.
Everything is strong until it fails. Quickjack is way safer and that is also why it does not need the handicap of crossbeams.

I support your desire and initiative but can see those legs folding in a twisting motion while torque is being applied undercar.

Last edited:

DPE

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Cool product, but the price is too close to a MaxJax. And in fact is what I paid for a MaxJax about 6 years ago. MaxJax is essentially a small 2 post lift that's bolted to the floor, but can be unbolted and the posts moved for storage. Rated for 6000lbs, and being a normal 2-post there's no tweaking for different cars. I don't share the concern about the EZ collapsing, but for those that do the MaxJax is built by Danmar who makes all kinds of lifts and has for many years. I've worked on everything from a 4Runner to a Cayman with no issues. I do like how the EZ is all mechanical, and it's very nice to be able to put it wherever you want (MaxJax requires concrete anchors of course, so you're not going to go lift your car outside unless you drill and put anchors in your driveway). Definitely has some advantages in portability and simplicity once you're set up.

Topsportsman916

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rallye Red Sport Touring & 2019 Rallye Red CTR
Country flag
Cool product, but the price is too close to a MaxJax. And in fact is what I paid for a MaxJax about 6 years ago. MaxJax is essentially a small 2 post lift that's bolted to the floor, but can be unbolted and the posts moved for storage. Rated for 6000lbs, and being a normal 2-post there's no tweaking for different cars. I don't share the concern about the EZ collapsing, but for those that do the MaxJax is built by Danmar who makes all kinds of lifts and has for many years. I've worked on everything from a 4Runner to a Cayman with no issues. I do like how the EZ is all mechanical, and it's very nice to be able to put it wherever you want (MaxJax requires concrete anchors of course, so you're not going to go lift your car outside unless you drill and put anchors in your driveway). Definitely has some advantages in portability and simplicity once you're set up.
DPE, I looked at those as well and you are correct about the price. I only have a 9' ceiling in my shop so I don't get the full effect of an above ground lift. That's one of the reasons I went with the EZ lift. It's definitely a tool that you have to decide if it will meet your needs.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Experience with the EZ Car Lift 3541B178-68C8-42D9-B67B-40D8E19917D6

Unfortunately, prior to getting hooked on the modding and maintaining the Type R, I had another hobby so my garage is filled with these old games and there’s no space for a car, otherwise I may have considered a (2) post lift such as the MaxJax.

Ceiling height might also be an obstacle for a (2) post lift, if I didn’t have all these doggone games, heh.

The higher lift capacity of the MaxJax is a big advantage. The EZ car lift maxes out at around 4,400 lbs so it has that limitation and it would definitely be nice to have a permanent lift ready to go for all cars ;)

Last edited:

JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2015 Silverado, 2007 Rabbit
Country flag
"The minor hassle for me is to get them align well with the car's jack points and that's because my garage is a bit cramp so it's a bit uncomfortable to get down on the floor to check at the side facing the wall.'

Yeah - same with the QuickJack system too.
With some practice I usually get it all lined up just right in 4 checks.
Align - raise it just a little - check - align - lift. (bring a flashlight)

For those of you that haven't been there ---- The jack points are just beside quite a bit of plastic body-work/aero bits and it is super easy to pinch them if you are not careful.

FWIW the QuickJack uses hard rubber blocks at each lift point.
I cut some aluminum diamond plate to sit between the front rubber block and jack points.
With all the weight up front the rubber blocks are crushing more than I like.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The supplied exhaust carlift pucks work well for me, but I am working on the car outside with plenty of room to adjust the lift.

If these magnetic pucks were cheaper I might consider it, but $200 is a enough for a pretty good mod like an oil catch can, heh.

Wow!! $200 is a lot for pucks. I do like the concept

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Oh, speaking of the pucks, I got those rubber ones with a slot in the center. However, I found the center slot is not deep enough for the pinch so the side won't go all the way up to support the rail (that's how i think the slot should function, does it??). So, i just flip them upside down and let the pinch rest right on top of the flat bottom like a hockey puck instead, that way i still get the whole rubber height to for supporting. Not sure if that is okay because they are still crushed up a bit (but the crushed rubber usually come back up in a day or so though)

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Experience with the EZ Car Lift F3AD8EC7-6775-417B-930B-32CE940A91E8
Yes that should be cool. Here are what my pucks look like fresh after a use... the rubber does spring back and they look better later.

navindralr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI MK7, S2000, Civic LX, MB GLC63AMG
Country flag
nice! Just ordered one recently. Not much info on this lift when you search the internet but this thread helped and convinced me. It was either this, the quick jack or the max jax. This ended up being the best for my situation. Should be delivered tomorrow. Pretty excited. Need to put in an o2 spacer to pass inspection lol.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Congrats navin, you are getting an excellent lift and am sure you will be very happy with it. Any questions feel free to ask! Look forward to hearing your feedback ;)
Sponsored