Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Experience with the EZ Car Lift 709BB70C-E3C9-45FE-AF99-4537D3E7C384

Lift is absolutely rock solid. Use it almost every weekend for a variety of tasks, including a recent intercooler change. I have no qualms going underneath because it’s screw jack based. I’d be a little leery if it were hydraulic.

Can always throw a spare tire on the ground underneath as a failsafe if unconvinced, heh.

looks handy for doing brake work,

but i wouldn't trust that to be crawling underneath the car, i wouldn't even feel comfortable doing an oil change with that,

no way i would stick my melon underneath there
Sponsored

JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2015 Silverado, 2007 Rabbit
Country flag
LOL
Yes we would all like to have a 4 point lift, and a dedicated garage, with heat/AC, and a Snap-On tool chest the size of Rhode Island..
But I'll take my QuickJack over jack stands any day!
Funny thing is the lower the car the harder it is to work on - the lower the car the longer it takes to get it high enough to work on when using jack stands.
Not to mention those creepy leap-of-faith moments when one side is 1' up in the air and the other is still on the ground...
The QuickJack setup might actually take a little longer but it is so much safer.
*note I have a QuickJack not the EZLift system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Boytcho has been making EZ Car lifts for 13 years with no reports of failures or people getting crushed. He said he had (1) customer report a worn bushing (out of the 4) and it was replaced.

My confidence in the EZ Car Lift is it is basically a scissor jack with stem threads engaging threaded bushings.

A thread is not going the strip out from a bushing while it’s static or while in its working position.

The only way that could possibly occur would be if the lift were suddenly overloaded well beyond it’s 4400 lb capacity. Boytcho said by law, all lifts are tested to support 1.5x times their rated capacity... and his is a scissors lift, so it actually gets stronger as it raises to its max height and can support up to 10,000lbs.

As previously stated, the torque on the threads and bushing under load, is greatest when initially lifting the car off the ground until about 14” in height. A failure would occur during this phase of its operation. Not static and raised while a person is under it.

That’s why a 2-speed drill is preferred for the extra low speed/high torque to operate the lift In that initial range, then switch to high speed/low torque for speed the rest of the way.

Any failure would occur over repeated use and time, and there should be tell tale indications in the form of brass shavings from damaged bushing threads.

It is important to ensure the screw threads are properly greased, to minimize any chance of threads stripping. I applied a light coat of grease directly to the threads but Boytcho recommends just pumping it into the grease fitting to avoid dirt and grit adhering to the grease.

Boytcho also said one ramp is enough to support the weight of the car if one end were to somehow slide off the other ramp.

Honda Civic 10th gen Experience with the EZ Car Lift 56C2794F-CC05-4ABB-8691-EE15B506FD53

There are (2) of these threaded bushings per ramp. Both would have to fail at the same time and each have square aluminum piece attached is a backup safety nut to permit the car to be safely lowered

View attachment 179430
Close up view.

Honda Civic 10th gen Experience with the EZ Car Lift A9F03F19-9A20-4BCB-A599-B8BC772FD026

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2015 Silverado, 2007 Rabbit
Country flag
Boytcho has been making EZ Car lifts for 13 years with no reports of failures or people getting crushed. He said he had (1) customer report a worn bushing (out of the 4) and it was replaced.

My confidence in the EZ Car Lift is it is basically a scissor jack with stem threads engaging threaded bushings.

A thread is not going the strip out from a bushing while it’s static or while in its working position.

The only way that could possibly occur would be if the lift were suddenly overloaded well beyond it’s 4400 lb capacity. Boytcho said by law, all lifts are tested to support 1.5x times their rated capacity... and his is a scissors lift, so it actually gets stronger as it raises to its max height and can support up to 10,000lbs.

As previously stated, the torque on the threads and bushing under load, is greatest when initially lifting the car off the ground until about 14” in height. A failure would occur during this phase of its operation. Not static and raised while a person is under it.

That’s why a 2-speed drill is preferred for the extra low speed/high torque to operate the lift In that initial range, then switch to high speed/low torque for speed the rest of the way.

Any failure would occur over repeated use and time, and there should be tell tale indications in the form of brass shavings from damaged bushing threads.

It is important to ensure the screw threads are properly greased, to minimize any chance of threads stripping. I applied a light coat of grease directly to the threads but Boytcho recommends just pumping it into the grease fitting to avoid dirt and grit adhering to the grease.

Boytcho also said one ramp is enough to support the weight of the car if one end were to somehow slide off the other ramp.

56C2794F-CC05-4ABB-8691-EE15B506FD53.png

There are (2) of these threaded bushings per ramp. Both would have to fail at the same time and each have square aluminum piece attached is a backup safety nut to permit the car to be safely lowered

View attachment 179430
Close up view.

A9F03F19-9A20-4BCB-A599-B8BC772FD026.png

Looks like maybe that joint could use a wee bit o grease!

Topsportsman916

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rallye Red Sport Touring & 2019 Rallye Red CTR
Country flag
I can verify what Fatherpain is saying. I have an EZ lift as well. Initially I was concerned about the safety aspect but after researching it, I'm fine with it. I too, value my melon as much as anyone else. I wish that I would have known about these when I was drag racing. Getting my Topsportsman Mustang on jack stands was not fun. Two jacks and multiple thickness blocks of wood got old. I changed oil using the EZ lift and it was extremely stable. Way better than jack stands. I even leave the car raised to keep weight off of the suspension and tires during the week. I'm extremely satisfied with the EZ lift.

Honda Civic 10th gen Experience with the EZ Car Lift 20190911_134137

Honda Civic 10th gen Experience with the EZ Car Lift 20190911_155440

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Does it lock into place? Is there any type of locking safety system? Are you also putting jack stands under the car?

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The lift “locks” in place when the input force is no longer applied. The screw jack will not thread up or down when the rotational input by the drill is halted.

Honda Civic 10th gen Experience with the EZ Car Lift 51CF15A4-1FAD-406B-9029-BF9790924167

Each ramp has an aluminum safety “nut” behind each bushing to permit a controlled descent in the event of a failure.

No, I have not placed jacks under the car when working underneath. Suppose I could throw a spare tire and rim or a large block of cribbing underneath to serve the same purpose..

But don’t see the need + I adjust the height periodically depending what I’m working on.

Does it lock into place? Is there any type of locking safety system? Are you also putting jack stands under the car?

Last edited:

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
just a quick update - 2nd year of ownership and I am still loving them. The minor hassle for me is to get them align well with the car's jack points and that's because my garage is a bit cramp so it's a bit uncomfortable to get down on the floor to check at the side facing the wall.

Anyways, my car has been sleeping beauty for 1 month, and I just spent 10 mins to jack up the car and roll all 4 tires and get it back on the ground. Since i am not using the jack for any other car, i can just leave it right down there. So, next month comes, I will just plug in the drill and up it goes, woot woot!!

Topsportsman916

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rallye Red Sport Touring & 2019 Rallye Red CTR
Country flag
just a quick update - 2nd year of ownership and I am still loving them. The minor hassle for me is to get them align well with the car's jack points and that's because my garage is a bit cramp so it's a bit uncomfortable to get down on the floor to check at the side facing the wall.

Anyways, my car has been sleeping beauty for 1 month, and I just spent 10 mins to jack up the car and roll all 4 tires and get it back on the ground. Since i am not using the jack for any other car, i can just leave it right down there. So, next month comes, I will just plug in the drill and up it goes, woot woot!!
EnjoyDriving, I'm loving my EZ Lift as well. I actually keep my CTR lifted just off the ground when I'm not driving it during the week. I agree 100% about aligning it up by yourself. It'a a slight pain. That is the only complaint that I have so far. Other than that, it's a great piece of equipment.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
EnjoyDriving, I'm loving my EZ Lift as well. I actually keep my CTR lifted just off the ground when I'm not driving it during the week. I agree 100% about aligning it up by yourself. It'a a slight pain. That is the only complaint that I have so far. Other than that, it's a great piece of equipment.
why do u want it off the ground? to avoid mice?

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I really like that EZ lift. I never knew those existed. I just changed the oil in my hatchback using ramps an hour ago. I was disappointed that my new crawler I just got wouldn’t fit. The car needs to be a little bit higher. That EZ jack would be perfect. I might have to get me one of those. Very nice write up

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Hello mvela,

If you have the space to store it, stowed or fully assembled, am pretty sure you will enjoy it and find it extremely useful. Especially if you are a DIY. I’ve found tons of uses for it beyond oil changes ;)

F8835141-6B2D-4BA8-BD60-9598214E82DF.jpeg

Alot of room for oil changes. 26” maximum height.

7409F8E7-8934-486F-8765-2B345A139899.jpeg

Just wrapped up a turbo boost leak check today and the ezlift came in very handy again.
can you share a bit on doing the boost leak test, with step by step, pics and tool/parts links? very helpful, thanks.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)