OP
thebook92

thebook92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 95 FZR600
Country flag
I wasn't paying much attention when I reset the MM, but if I remember right it was at 50%.
Sponsored

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In the wintertime, 5k seems to be about the limit for my climate (Maine) and driving habits (mostly 30 minute interstate commutes). In the summer, fuel dilution typically is <0.5% after 5k, so I'll go 7-8

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
The oil in the photo is 50% ? Wow, looks like straight crude oil drilled out of the Gulf of Mexico. My current oil has the same mileage and it is looking "brownish" which had me concerned, but I've ran oil before up to 10,000 miles that still looked cleaner than that photo.

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First oil change at 4055 miles. MM indicated 60% oil life remaining, but I chose to change early due to fuel smell upon restarting after short trips and the dipstick level increasing. If I drove to work and it sat all day, then there would never be a fuel smell on restart. But, if I drove to the store and came back out after 15-20 minutes, then there would be a fuel smell on restart.

My opinion is that they have not solved the fuel dilution issue. Whether it is a major concern or not, I don't know. It's a lease, so chances are that I'll just turn it in when the time comes.

Honda Civic 10th gen Excessive oil dilution after TSB fix Oil sample 03032020

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
First oil change at 4055 miles. MM indicated 60% oil life remaining, but I chose to change early due to fuel smell upon restarting after short trips and the dipstick level increasing. If I drove to work and it sat all day, then there would never be a fuel smell on restart. But, if I drove to the store and came back out after 15-20 minutes, then there would be a fuel smell on restart.

My opinion is that they have not solved the fuel dilution issue. Whether it is a major concern or not, I don't know. It's a lease, so chances are that I'll just turn it in when the time comes.

Oil sample 03032020.jpg

So both your Hondas are having the same issue ?

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So both your Hondas are having the same issue ?
Actually, the one that I was referencing is my fifth CivicX. I had a 2016 EX-T sedan for a year, and traded in prior to the oil dilution becoming "a thing".

I leased another 2017 EX-T (CVT) for my daughter, and that was was just returned in December. I never allowed the dealer to perform the oil dilution update, and never had any issues, fuel smell, rising dipstick level, etc. with it.

I also leased a 2017 EX-T (6MT) for myself, and it was just returned on Monday at lease end. My son was driving it since October while he stores his 2018 Si in my garage. It received the update during a service around this past November I believe. It had not exhibited any issues before or after the update.

The 2018 Si had the update done last spring, also while at the dealer for a routine service. It also was not having an issue before or after the update.

The 2020 EX hatch is the one that has been showing signs of oil dilution ironically. It hasn't been driven any differently than the others that I have driven regularly.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Actually, the one that I was referencing is my fifth CivicX. I had a 2016 EX-T sedan for a year, and traded in prior to the oil dilution becoming "a thing".

I leased another 2017 EX-T (CVT) for my daughter, and that was was just returned in December. I never allowed the dealer to perform the oil dilution update, and never had any issues, fuel smell, rising dipstick level, etc. with it.

I also leased a 2017 EX-T (6MT) for myself, and it was just returned on Monday at lease end. My son was driving it since October while he stores his 2018 Si in my garage. It received the update during a service around this past November I believe. It had not exhibited any issues before or after the update.

The 2018 Si had the update done last spring, also while at the dealer for a routine service. It also was not having an issue before or after the update.

The 2020 EX hatch is the one that has been showing signs of oil dilution ironically. It hasn't been driven any differently than the others that I have driven regularly.

Hmm interesting. I doubt Honda will do anything about it for the rest of this generation run. It probably was a design flaw when the engine was designed and it is cheaper to deny it and handle on a case by case basis rather than replace all the engines. The fix for these cars was never really adequate or explained. The idea that lots of fuel is getting into the oil and to stop driving short distances isn't really what I'd expect from a new vehicle. Ironically it seems as time continues on newer vehicles are less reliable than other vehicles despite advances in technology.
Sponsored