Excessive drifting side to side on highway

Dan198

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335 xDrive, 2010 Audi Q5, 2014 Porsche Boxster S, 2016 Civic EX
Country flag
I've noticed that my Civic seems to drift side to side at highway speeds and I'm constantly making adjustments to keep it in the middle of the lane.

I can't tell if it's the low friction Firestone tires or if it's because the Civic is relatively light and a wind gust pushes it around or a combination both.

City driving seems to be ok so I don't think it has anything to do with the alignment or a steering issue.

Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
City driving seems to be ok so I don't think it has anything to do with the alignment or a steering issue.
I would suggest getting an alignment done - you can't really tell alignment issues unless its really bad by normal driving... also check your tire pressures. Way overinflated like what some hypermilers might try to run is just as bad as being under... I normally go 2 psi up front and 1 in the rear to sharper up the responses a bit but that's it. And always check pressures on new cars - sometimes the dealer forgets to PDI them properly, and they're usually shipped with way high pressures to prevent their tires from flatspotting during shipment.

The low rolling resistance tires might be contributing a bit but it shouldn't be bad unless something else is off.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I Agree, mine tracks straight and true, if yours doesn't something is amiss. Tires, then take it in.

It should be covered under warranty.

BTW, do you noitice any rattles or clunks? It's not uncommon for any new car to have some settling with suspension components when it gets on the road, and something may need adjustment.

OP
OP
Dan198

Dan198

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm meticulous in keeping the air pressure accurate and not under/over inflated so that's probably not the cause unless the tires are defective. Just put my winter tires on yesterday so I'll see how that compares to rule out the stock Firestones. Will definitely check alignment if the car continues to drift side to side with the new tires.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Dan198

Dan198

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I Agree, mine tracks straight and true, if yours doesn't something is amiss. Tires, then take it in.

It should be covered under warranty.

BTW, do you noitice any rattles or clunks? It's not uncommon for any new car to have some settling with suspension components when it gets on the road, and something may need adjustment.
No rattles or clunks. Everything seems to be ok with the suspension, like it was on day one. Took delivery early June and we've out less than the equivalent of 2,000 miles on it.

mexiking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
I've had similar experience but only when it's real windy. However, I also noticed even bigger cars doing the same thing.

ptguy0618

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic touring sedan
Mine tracks really straight, but for me coming from a 5000+ lb Dodge Durango, I notice the slightest wind blowing the car around so it seems to swerve a lot to me lol

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Could it be a road surface issue?

In my old car I drove on a concrete highway (as opposed to asphalt) when I went down in the states and the car was tracking like mad - I was genuinely afraid.

I thought it was my car but there was nothing wrong after an inspection - then I went down again in my dad's minivan and the same thing happened.

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
I'm thinking road surface too once tire pressures are verified. My Civic tracks tack straight on most of my roads here but there is a stretch of highway where I'm gripping the wheel hard, trying to mitigate the left-and-right jerking. I haven't had my new Civic aligned yet but I would hope the factory specs call for half to one degree of toe-in.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've only had this happen when windy, like today. Lightweight + electric power steering = hey LKAS, come help me for a while...

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
for me not road surface. i had a rental altama that did only way way worse, so bad i reported it. to my horror my civic exhibits this to a degree. and with my replacement wheels forget warranty. what mine does is - on the freeway you'll kind of just all of a sudden you note your too close to the divider. sometimes i must really keep on top of it. i hope its only an alignment problem.

edit: i should say at first i thought its like i have that honda sense thats gone wack. but i dont have honda sense.

Last edited:

Civic1975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I've noticed that my Civic seems to drift side to side at highway speeds and I'm constantly making adjustments to keep it in the middle of the lane.

I can't tell if it's the low friction Firestone tires or if it's because the Civic is relatively light and a wind gust pushes it around or a combination both.

Anyone else have this issue?
I have this issue, I thought it was just me, but when i said something to my wife, she noticed it also. So I took it to the dealer and after looking at it for about 30 minutes, they said everything appear fine in the steering system, they blew smoke up my a** telling me that is the way the new steering system works. My 08 Civic was awesome and held the lane better. For now, unless something really changes, I will just have to live with it.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
The 16 civics have variable ratio steering, so could it be that you guys are just not used to it?

If you "suddenly find yourself next to the barrier", unless your car has teleported to the left by a foot, just seems like driver inattention.

If you don't want to spend $ on an alignment to double check, check your tires. Drifting is caused by toe being out of spec, and will always show up in uneven/increased tire wear. Also check tire pressure.

Rocketman29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I think this could be happening because the steering is VERY sensitive. Even slight pressure one way or the other causes the car to turn.
Sponsored