EX-T owner drives an LX

1. Browncoat3000

Browncoat3000 Red 5 standing by

Millennium Falcon Driver
    First Name:
    Todd
    Car(s):
    Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
    I was pleasantly surprised to get a Civic LX as a rental car yesterday. As a former 9th gen owner I’ve been curious about the 2.0 engine, and this was a great opportunity to check it out.

I drove in a mix of city and freeway driving, some of which was in crappy weather here in the NE. Here’s what I noticed:

The LX is a very solid car, but there is a noticeable difference in handling between it and the EX-T. The LX back end just feels lighter and a bit more vague. I gather from the forum here that’s a function of the thinner rear-sway bar. Don’t get me wrong, the LX is a great handling car, it’s just that the EX-T is a bit better.

The power was ample, and I do love the VTEC whine, but it doesn’t have that thrill that comes with the turbo kick. I especially noticed it really ran out of steam at the top end. No problem getting up to 60, but when passing it doesn’t have the gumption the 1.5 has.

I missed the heated seats and remote start, but not enough to be a deal breaker by any stretch.

I discovered I’ve adapted to the EX infotainment system, I kept reaching for the volume slider. I had trouble pairing the Bluetooth, for which I blame iOS11 not the car; so in the end I just used it like an iPod with the cable. On the whole, do prefer the EX infotainment system, glitches and all.

The stock wheels really are ugly.

On the whole, I think the LX is really underrated. It would make a fantastic bargan platform for anyone who wants to modify a car and deserves more after-market engine mods.

But, given the choice I’ll stick with the EX-T.

6109C319-D947-4DBF-ABC9-6B8A015DCC80.jpeg

2. OP
    Browncoat3000

Millennium Falcon Driver
    First Name:
    Todd
    Car(s):
    Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
    That’s a fair point.

Zooropa82 and thatonedaveguy thanked this.
  3. kritz

kritz Senior Member

Car(s):
    17Civic SI sedan
    The base Civic would probably run forever.:drive:

87elco thanked this.
  4. Billy4202

Billy4202 Senior Member

Furloughed
    First Name:
    Will
    Car(s):
    '16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
    I thought Honda didn't do fleet sales? :what:

5. OP
    Browncoat3000

Millennium Falcon Driver
    First Name:
    Todd
    Car(s):
    Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
    Well there were a couple of other LX’s in the lot, and this one had Illinois plates in Massachusetts. It also had nearly 33k miles on the clock.

I had an 8th gen Civic as a rental years ago, so perhaps that was more of a guideline than a rule?

6. Aurelleah

Aurelleah Senior Member

First Name:
    Aurelleah
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic EX in Modern Steel
    Thanks for your opinions, appreciate the thoughts of one going from the 1.5T to the 2.0L! I run a 2.0L but recently tried a 1.5T myself

Just an FYI I'm sure you're aware, but the loss in the top end is actually built-in, probably to encourage people to go for the 1.5T! You can fix that though with K-Tuner and the link actually shows graphs showing the difference. Tuning the car adds 22hp to the power band peak-to-peak and lowers VTEC engagement to 5600rpm. http://ktuner.com/16civic/ The difference is REALLY REALLY pronounced. Fortunately too, we've been gifted an aftermarket intake which suggests gains of 7HP https://www.aemintakes.com/search/product.aspx?prod=21-792C and a downpipe that adds more, but is often illegal due to lack of a cat converter

But I agree, more is better and honestly deserved. There's a lot of punch in this engine!

Browncoat3000 thanked this.
  7. jtrader

jtrader Member

First Name:
    James
    Car(s):
    2009 Escape, 2009 Odyssey
    This is all encouraging to read/hear. I will be one of the first in line for one of the 2019 Sports. I still haven't decided coupe or sedan. Depends if the wife lets me get a coupe. Yes, I know....

8. BoxsterSteve

BoxsterSteve still plays with cars...

First Name:
    Steve
    Car(s):
    2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2007 Subaru Forester XS Premium, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2018 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
    No need to explain... I’m an old married guy myself and have been on the “Happy wife, happy life” train for a long time.

jtrader thanked this.
  9. neteng101

neteng101 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
    Honda may not have a special rate for fleet sales but that doesn't mean a rental car company can't just buy them from dealers who probably have enough inventory of LX Civics to sell them at a reasonable price.