EX-T Manual vs Si

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone who has driven both the EX-T with manual and the Si could compare the the two cars. Since the refresh is rather underwhelming, I was thinking about grabbing a leftover 2018 EX-T with a stick, since stick won't be available in the EX sedan trim anymore. For those who have driven both, is the Si a substantially better driving experience? I'm not sure it's worth the additional cost (both up-front and for having to use premium gas).
Sponsored

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
The LSD is a game changer on the winding back roads. I have driven both and didn't think it would matter much before driving them. I drove the ext first and then the Si and noticed the difference in the first turn. I do wish the Si had 17" wheels though.

NUshek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T 6MT
Country flag
I test drove both when I was looking for a car. The SI is a different beast than the EX-T. For me I couldn't justify the price difference (I found a good deal on the EX-T and the dealers weren't offering anywhere near as good a deal on the SI). I also didn't want to have to deal with all the stupid drivers who would see the SI badge and want to race. I would have considered the SI if I were in a different place in my life since it was a ton of fun to drive. I am still happy with my choice and am glad I picked up the '18 EX-T 6MT after hearing about the 2019 refresh. The EX-T 6 speeds can be hard to find depending on what part of the country you're in.

Good luck

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The Si is noticeably better in the twisties.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Driving around normally, you won't notice much of a difference.

Driving spiritedly? Huge difference. The seat bolsters, wider tires, stiffer suspension, extra top end power.... all that adds up. And you'll definitely feel the advantage of the LSD coming out of tighter corners.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
The seats and LSD are the main differences for me - if you're primarily going to be cruising/commuting, get the EX-T. If you have dreams of cornering at the limit, the Si is definitely what you want.

Before I settled on a CTR, I test drove the Si a few times. I test drove the EX-T once and that was enough to cross it off my list. YMMV.

Reactions: mjh

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
If all you want is a decent engine paired with a nice transmission, EX-T all the way. However, if driving experience is high up on your list, then SI will be a better purchase in the long run. Also, the Si has stronger internals I believe so modifying your car is probably better spent on the Si rather than the standard EX-T.

Last edited:

luckytom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue 2018 Civic EX-T 6 Speed
Country flag
I agree with the general consensus here.

Get an SI if you:
  • Plan on modding (has an LSD + better aftermarket mod support)
  • Plan on tracking the car
  • Like the style
Get an EX-T if you:
  • Want a fun daily driver that still has a manual transmission and Android Auto/CarPlay
  • Don't plan on tracking (or you are okay with more involved mods)
  • Want to use regular gas
I test drove a used 2017 Civic SI Sedan and a brand new 2018 Civic EX-T Sedan (6 speed) back to back at the same dealership. I test drove the SI and then drove the EX-T.

I liked both but ended up going with the EX-T for the following reasons:
  • Price
  • Premium gas vs regular gas
  • Much less road noise in the EX-T
  • Did not feel significantly faster than the SI for the additional price
  • Did not like the seats as much
  • Did not like the red lights (I prefer white or light blue)
  • The car was black (I did not want another black car)
Note: YMMV. I wasn't shopping for a sports car. I just wanted a reliable car with a manual transmission, good mpg using regular gas, and Android Auto.

Hope this helps make your decision easier.

Reactions: mjh

OP
OP
mjh

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag
I agree with the general consensus here.

Get an SI if you:
  • Plan on modding (has an LSD + better aftermarket mod support)
  • Plan on tracking the car
  • Like the style
Get an EX-T if you:
  • Want a fun daily driver that still has a manual transmission and Android Auto/CarPlay
  • Don't plan on tracking (or you are okay with more involved mods)
  • Want to use regular gas
I test drove a used 2017 Civic SI Sedan and a brand new 2018 Civic EX-T Sedan (6 speed) back to back at the same dealership. I test drove the SI and then drove the EX-T.

I liked both but ended up going with the EX-T for the following reasons:
  • Price
  • Premium gas vs regular gas
  • Much less road noise in the EX-T
  • Did not feel significantly faster than the SI for the additional price
  • Did not like the seats as much
  • Did not like the red lights (I prefer white or light blue)
  • The car was black (I did not want another black car)
Note: YMMV. I wasn't shopping for a sports car. I just wanted a reliable car with a manual transmission, good mpg using regular gas, and Android Auto.

Hope this helps make your decision easier.
Thanks for all the help, everybody! This is very helpful. Luckytom, I'm definitely the EX-T category -- looking for a fun daily driver that has a stick (like the two Civics I had in the past), zero interest in modding. And I will freely admit I thought LSD referred to chemicals one is not supposed to take while driving. :p It's a shame for me that Honda has now phased out stick in everything but the LX and the Si, although I do understand that's where the world is going. It's the same thing with the new Jetta -- stick is only available in the base model or probably when they re-release the GLI (supposedly next year). My current Jetta is auto, since I was married at the time and needed a car my wife was willing/able to drive in a pinch.

Perfect world I would wait a year before buying a refreshed EX with stick, but that's not an option. I have a nearby dealer with a few EX-T's with manual sitting on the lot, I may see if I can make a deal. Although I'm also a bit concerned with how well a stick would hold its value. I would plan to keep my next car for 5-7 years but I'm sure I'd want to be able to sell it someday.

chandlervt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Subaru WRX
Country flag
I test drove Ex-T and Si on same day. The clutch on the Ex-T is lot more spongy, and travels lot more than Si. Personally I hated it. Si clutch had lot more weight and it felt better than Ex-T. I guess after a while you can get used to either of them but I ruled out Ex-t for sure. I am yet to drive Hatchback sport manual - might venture out today and find a dealer who still has them.

luckytom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue 2018 Civic EX-T 6 Speed
Country flag
And I will freely admit I thought LSD referred to chemicals one is not supposed to take while driving. :p
Ah, sorry about all the jargon haha. Just in case, LSD = Limited Slip Differential. Front wheel drive cars tend to put all the car's power into the side with the least grip. An LSD will make the car put more power into the wheel that has traction. This is awesome for sport car enthusiasts but for most people in the commuter category you won't ever really notice it unless you tend to drive aggressively through winding roads.

Although I'm also a bit concerned with how well a stick would hold its value. I would plan to keep my next car for 5-7 years but I'm sure I'd want to be able to sell it someday.
I fall into the "gonna keep my car until the wheels fall off" category so depreciation isn't a big factor to me. That said I think the 2018 Civic EX-T 6 speeds will soon be in the unicorn car category for people like us that just want a fun 6 speed car with some bells and whistles. After all, it has all of the following
  • Turbo
  • 6 Speed
  • Android auto + blue tooth + steering wheel controls
  • Thicker front glass (reduces road noise) compared to 2016-2017 models
  • Aftermarket support
I test drove Ex-T and Si on same day. The clutch on the Ex-T is lot more spongy, and travels lot more than Si. Personally I hated it. Si clutch had lot more weight and it felt better than Ex-T.
I did really like the pedals in the SI more than the EX-T. I suppose I'm not well versed in the way of spongy vs not-spongy but it didn't seem to leave an impression to me. :dunno: That said, you do you!

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
If I could afford one I'd get the type R and take it immediately to a body shop and have them remove all the scoops,flaps,spoilers and badges. Then you wouldn't have guys trying to race you and I wouldn't feel stupid driving a boy-racer car at my considerably advanced age.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
If I could afford one I'd get the type R and take it immediately to a body shop and have them remove all the scoops,flaps,spoilers and badges. Then you wouldn't have guys trying to race you and I wouldn't feel stupid driving a boy-racer car at my considerably advanced age.
Exactly. The boy-racer look is why I did not consider the CTR at all. Then I read here that the cost of ownership of CTR is significantly higher than SI.

To the OP, how long would you keep the car? If more than 3 years, the additional cost would be justified. In my opinion, the whole idea of considering a 6MT is the fun in daily driving. Although I never drove an EX-T, the specs tells me that SI is more fun.

SI in Canada is better equipped than US. In fact, it is a higher trim than Touring.
https://www.honda.ca/civic_sedan/specs
Sponsored

Last edited: