jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Yeah man I it was deifnetly different I think I'm going to avoid the ex2.0 in this case. It's a shame im one of the few that prefers the slower 2.0 NA engine.
I wouldn't avoid the EX because of the steering. Maybe that particular car, but I have an EX and the steering feels completely normal to me. Like others have said, different wheel size makes a difference but not that big of a difference, there should not be that big of a difference in steering feel between them.
Sponsored

OP
OP

civic2.0

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic ex 2.0
Country flag
I drove a 2016 LX with the 2.0 for 61,000 miles. I thought it was great. It is slower for sure, but it’ll be more reliable than the 1.5T in the long run.

I upgraded the wheels from the 16” steelies to some accessory alloy 17” wheels and tires. I thought it noticeably livened up the handling of the car.

Tire types make a bigger difference than most people realize.

There may be something wrong with that car man. Maybe a suspension component is damaged. It really shouldn’t be so different that you strongly prefer the steering of one car better than the other. Both should steer just fine.
Thanks! I plan on keeping the car a while so that's why I decided to go with the 2.0 because of reliability. I love the handling of the Civic that's why I chose to go with it. The handling and ride quality is damn near perfect. 60k miles no issues ?

OP
OP

civic2.0

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic ex 2.0
Country flag
I wouldn't avoid the EX because of the steering. Maybe that particular car, but I have an EX and the steering feels completely normal to me. Like others have said, different wheel size makes a difference but not that big of a difference, there should not be that big of a difference in steering feel between them.
Yeah definetly I meant that particular ex2.0 if I find another ex2.0 or ext at a similar price and it's in good condition I'm definetly going for it.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Thanks! I plan on keeping the car a while so that's why I decided to go with the 2.0 because of reliability. I love the handling of the Civic that's why I chose to go with it. The handling and ride quality is damn near perfect. 60k miles no issues ?
No issues. There is a member on here who has put over 200k miles on his civic 1.5T with only normal wear and tear items replaced, as well as very conservative preventative maintenance such as fluid changes. Highway miles do not put wear on a vehicle like city driving.

That dude is crazy and I don’t recommend driving that many miles in a 3 year span. (It’s extremely unhealthy mentally and physically) But you cannot doubt the reliability of this car if maintained properly.

OP
OP

civic2.0

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic ex 2.0
Country flag
No issues. There is a member on here who has put over 200k miles on his civic 1.5T with only normal wear and tear items replaced, as well as very conservative preventative maintenance such as fluid changes. Highway miles do not put wear on a vehicle like city driving.

That dude is crazy and I don’t recommend driving that many miles in a 3 year span. (It’s extremely unhealthy mentally and physically) But you cannot doubt the reliability of this car if maintained properly.
That's great to hear man. I've been a little tentative withe the 1.5t, doing my research and looking at posts here. I hear u have to warm up the engine and let it cool when u park it for the day. The wife and I won't have time for that with work, kids and their activities going back and forth. I live in warm climate so that part doesn't worry me. And changing the oil every 3k on the turbo doesn't bother me neither. But that warming it up and letting cool down idk I just wanna get in the car and go. Have you had to wait and warm it up ? Or is that just a cold climate thing?

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
That's great to hear man. I've been a little tentative withe the 1.5t, doing my research and looking at posts here. I hear u have to warm up the engine and let it cool when u park it for the day. The wife and I won't have time for that with work, kids and their activities going back and forth. I live in warm climate so that part doesn't worry me. And changing the oil every 3k on the turbo doesn't bother me neither. But that warming it up and letting cool down idk I just wanna get in the car and go. Have you had to wait and warm it up ? Or is that just a cold climate thing?
To be honest and I think most 1.5 owners would agree with me, the issue is vastly overblown. The 1.5 won't disintegrate because you don't cool it down, they actually recommend to cool down any kind of car after driving it instead of just shutting it off, but i've never done that and my cars have been rock solid reliable. Now long term obviously the prospects for the 2.0 seem more assuring because it's a tried and tested engine that is pretty much guaranteed to run a really really long time without much effort, but if you care about extra power than the 1.5 isn't a bad idea. Only reason I went for the 2.0 is because I was searching for a reliable point a to point b car that would get better fuel mileage than my other cars and the price I was getting for the EX back in 2018 was too good to pass up. If the Civic was one of my main vehicles, I would've picked the turbo in a heartbeat. Dilution DOES happen to some people, but I haven't really seen many people (if any) who have had actual damage to their engine because of it. Especially since you live in a warm climate, I wouldn't sweat it.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
What jred said.

Here's the deal. All DI engine have some small amount of dilution. It's exasperated by driving in cold weather, doing short trips and not letting the engine get up to normal operating temps.

Because there was an outcry from some 1.5T CR-V owners living in cold climates (and media outlets jumping on the story), Honda issued a "fix". The "fix" basically just gets the engine to normal temps quicker. The same fix was made for 1.5T Civic owners living in certain cold states.

In my opinion the whole thing is overblown. Use common sense and use high quality oil and change it on time. Allow your car to warm to normal operating temps before shut off. All should be fine.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
The "fix" basically just gets the engine to normal temps quicker. The same fix was made for 1.5T Civic owners living in certain cold states.
I wouldn't mind the "fix" being made to ALL 1.5t's regardless the state as this motor definitely needs some help warming up in the winter.

OP
OP

civic2.0

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic ex 2.0
Country flag
I wouldn't mind the "fix" being made to ALL 1.5t's regardless the state as this motor definitely needs some help warming up in the winter.
thanks for all your feedback! Im new to the forum and it kind of reassures me to hear from active members and actual 1.5t owners. I'm just waiting on a good deal to jump on one of these. The EXT I test drove, when I punched it felt a lot quicker wouldn't mind having previous gen SI speed with a comfortable ride. Best of both worlds really.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Since it's a TSB (18-137), I guess you could ask your dealer about it. Maybe they can do it for a fee if your State isn't listed on the bulletin?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for all your feedback! Im new to the forum and it kind of reassures me to hear from active members and actual 1.5t owners. I'm just waiting on a good deal to jump on one of these. The EXT I test drove, when I punched it felt a lot quicker wouldn't mind having previous gen SI speed with a comfortable ride. Best of both worlds really.
The turbo has substantially more torque than the 2.0 EX. Hondata actually tested it next to a 9th gen Si on the track and the EX-T won handily. Add a tune like I have and it's a real sleeper.

OP
OP

civic2.0

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic ex 2.0
Country flag
The turbo has substantially more torque than the 2.0 EX. Hondata actually tested it next to a 9th gen Si on the track and the EX-T won handily. Add a tune like I have and it's a real sleeper.
I love sleeper cars.i used to have a tuned 335 and surprised a lot of cars. Bad thing was the maintenance on those BMW $$$. Even when it was under warranty it was a nightmare. It really seems like you enjoy the heck out your civic. I'm looking for that a reliable fun family car.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Since it's a TSB (18-137), I guess you could ask your dealer about it. Maybe they can do it for a fee if your State isn't listed on the bulletin?
what states are listed? I've googled the TSB and skimmed it but didn't see any states listed, what I found was more a guide for the tech on what to do.

brotard

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I drove a 2016 LX with the 2.0 for 61,000 miles. I thought it was great. It is slower for sure, but it’ll be more reliable than the 1.5T in the long run.

I upgraded the wheels from the 16” steelies to some accessory alloy 17” wheels and tires. I thought it noticeably livened up the handling of the car.

Tire types make a bigger difference than most people realize.

There may be something wrong with that car man. Maybe a suspension component is damaged. It really shouldn’t be so different that you strongly prefer the steering of one car better than the other. Both should steer just fine.
Do you think 18" wheels would fit as well, or would you not go any higher than 17"? I have the 2016 EX with the stock 16" rims.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Do you think 18" wheels would fit as well, or would you not go any higher than 17"? I have the 2016 EX with the stock 16" rims.
18s will fit. They have 18s on the sport trim levels.
Sponsored