Every single American car Brand is on the bottom in Consumer reports 2018 Reliability ratings

peters239

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport MT
Country flag
I saw a reliability list from not sure who (could have been JD Powers) about a year ago and it had LEXUS #1 and BUICK #2 with CHEVY #5!!

As far as American cars go what exactly IS a "American" car nowdays?
Half the Japanese cars are built in America by American workers and half the American cars are built in Canada or Mexico or other countries.
It's been a "world market" for decades now, nothing new really.
Ford and GM and Chrysler have been making cars in Canada and Mexico since the 1960's

I guess my point is......is Honda really a "Japanese" company when half their cars are built here in America by American workers? I'd call it a "world company".
I was going to say the samething. My "japanese" car is more american then an "american" car. Which love when people sill use the phase jap crap because its mostly built anymore. I really think it comes down to quilty standards of the auto maker. What they let slide or to make a quick buck verus making sure things are up to spec and done right. This is my fifth honda and i can say i ve never had one issue with any of them and i m not exactly lite on the throttle either.
Sponsored

xaviersayys

Xavier
First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To me, a part of the reason why I've never bought an American car thus far is because I find pretty much all of them aesthetically unappealing LOL. That, and from my family's experiences growing up, they've always had issues pop up way too often.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
My 2018 Civic was made in Japan. The Final assembly, the Engine & the Trans are all labeled Japan on the window sticker. It also states U.S./Canadian Parts Content is 60%, and Major sources of Foreign Parts Content is Japan 20%.

I did read that the Civic plant in Indiana was converted in 2017 to making SUVs because of the their demand, which is why Civics are now made in Japan. But it just doesn't seem economical to ship most of the parts from North America to Japan to assemble the car there, and then send everything back to N.A.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
The Charger has Chrysler's 8.4" Uconnect infotainment system which usually is highly rated, & it is superior & more responsive than the Civic's system.
I had 3 Dodge Challengers before this Civic SI.
two of them were the 305hp 3.6 V6, great motor that would get 33mpg on the highway with the cruise set to 70mph and 0-60 in about 6 seconds.
The last one I had was the 5.7 375hp HEMI V8, 0-60 in 5 seconds flat, stock, awesome sounding exhaust with the new "active exhaust" valves that were electronically controlled.
I worked for a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Ram dealer for 2 years a couple years ago.

This little SI is a great car but the Chrysler infotainment system is much more "user friendly" and quicker to respond than the Hondas.
It also surprised me that this 2018 SI doesn't have individual tire pressure readouts for PSI for each tire, Chrysler has had that on a lot of their vehicles since around 2013 or so.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
two of them were the 305hp 3.6 V6, great motor that would get 33mpg on the highway with the cruise set to 70mph and 0-60 in about 6 seconds.
The last one I had was the 5.7 375hp HEMI V8, 0-60 in 5 seconds flat, stock, awesome sounding exhaust with the new "active exhaust" valves that were electronically controlled.

This little SI is a great car but the Chrysler infotainment system is much more "user friendly" and quicker to respond than the Hondas.
It also surprised me that this 2018 SI doesn't have individual tire pressure readouts for PSI for each tire, Chrysler has had that on a lot of their vehicles since around 2013 or so.
I have the 392 HEMI and it sounds great, especially starting when it's cold because the active exhaust is open.

The Civic is an EX-L withe the Sensing Package and I'm also surprised it does not have individual tire pressure readouts. I'm also surprised it does not have a compass. Apparently you need the NAV option or the Touring model.

I wanted power seats on both front seats & the Touring model has that. Problem is the passenger side only goes forward & backward, there is no height or tilt adjustment. I almost bought a 2017 Accord with a V6, the last year for the V6. but the power passenger front seat only went forward & backward. And this was the top of the line model. My wife wanted 6-way or 8-way power so she could get comfortable too. I was really surprised that their highest trim level didn't have a real power passenger seat. That was a deal breaker.

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag

I don't think my 2013 V6 had the TPMS readout. I had a dead sensor once and they had to walk around the car with a 'scanner' to determine which wheel it was. Echo the 'good' comments, tho. I got something between 27 and 29 MPG combined for 60k miles.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
The only reliable cars that American car manufacturers can really make are their larger displacement engines like its NA V6 or V8 cars. The moment you throw a turbo or a 4-cyl into the mix you can kiss reliability goodbye.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
1. If you are one of those people who keep your cars 3 years or less or lease, buy American or German (or Italian for that matter)
2. If you are one of those people who plan on keeping your car 10 years or longer or riding it out 200K, buy Japanese (Toyota, Honda, Mazda etc.)

Although choice number 2 may be changing (Japanese car quality is on the decline), I strongly believe if you are one of those people who buy a car that you are going to drive long term until it can no longer drive, Japanese cars are going to be your best bet
1. Opposite of your statement, I buy Japanese (Honda) specifically because I trade every year or two. The brand's resale value minimizes my losses. The depreciation on an American or German marque would kill me at my trade frequency. I recently inherited a 2016 Ford Fiesta SE with 41K miles. The trade-in value is $6,600. The trade-in value for a 2016 Honda Fit EX with 41K miles is $10,500. The original MSRP on both cars was about $18,500. The Fiesta retains 36% of its original MSRP. The Honda retains 57% of its original MSRP. I bet the Honda didn't need new rear shocks at 25K miles like the Fiesta did. I bet the power mirrors and speakers still work on the Honda after two years, too, unlike the Fiesta.

2. I take CR's recommendations with a grain of salt. I bought their highest-rated washer and dryer a few years ago. While they performed well, both appliances failed just after the one-year warranty expired. I bought an over-the-range microwave oven that they rated one of the least reliable. It's been flawless for over six years. I bought one of their highest-rated televisions a few years ago, while it has been reliable, the picture quality was poor. I've got other examples.

3. CR bashed Honda largely because Honda eliminated volume knobs for a while. What about the brand's reputation for safety, reliability, and resale value - you know, the things that actually matter? Hating something because they don't like the way it works doesn't mean it's a bad product.

4. User-submitted reliability ratings are biased. Surveys are a dump for complaints. The majority who have positive experiences simply enjoy their vehicles and live life without wasting an hour of their time filling out reliability surveys.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
1. Opposite of your statement, I buy Japanese (Honda) specifically because I trade every year or two. The brand's resale value minimizes my losses. The depreciation on an American or German marque would kill me at my trade frequency. I recently inherited a 2016 Ford Fiesta SE with 41K miles. The trade-in value is $6,600. The trade-in value for a 2016 Honda Fit EX with 41K miles is $10,500. The original MSRP on both cars was about $18,500. The Fiesta retains 36% of its original MSRP. The Honda retains 57% of its original MSRP. I bet the Honda didn't need new rear shocks at 25K miles like the Fiesta did. I bet the power mirrors and speakers still work on the Honda after two years, too, unlike the Fiesta.

2. I take CR's recommendations with a grain of salt. I bought their highest-rated washer and dryer a few years ago. While they performed well, both appliances failed just after the one-year warranty expired. I bought an over-the-range microwave oven that they rated one of the least reliable. It's been flawless for over six years. I bought one of their highest-rated televisions a few years ago, while it has been reliable, the picture quality was poor. I've got other examples.

3. CR bashed Honda largely because Honda eliminated volume knobs for a while. What about the brand's reputation for safety, reliability, and resale value - you know, the things that actually matter? Hating something because they don't like the way it works doesn't mean it's a bad product.

4. User-submitted reliability ratings are biased. Surveys are a dump for complaints. The majority who have positive experiences simply enjoy their vehicles and live life without wasting an hour of their time filling out reliability surveys.
Very True. Look up complaints for any business, car, or pretty much everything really and they are all rated 1 star with terrible reviews pretty much strewn across the whole webpage. Even if the product in reality is pretty good, people like to complain. Problem with CR is most of them suffer from response bias, people are more likely to say something is bad or wrong with their product rather than say its a good product because having a bad experience makes you want to vocalize it more than having a good experience. Thats why taking their recommendations with a pinch of salt is what I have always done, and that tactic hasn't failed me.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
The only reliable cars that American car manufacturers can really make are their larger displacement engines like its NA V6 or V8 cars. The moment you throw a turbo or a 4-cyl into the mix you can kiss reliability goodbye.
Not true......FORDS 2.3ltr 4 banger is one of the most reliable 4's ever made and they've been making it for decades and have used it in cars and the Ford Ranger, just one example.
For some reason, the Japanese have never been keen on developing a good V8 motor.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not true......FORDS 2.3ltr 4 banger is one of the most reliable 4's ever made and they've been making it for decades and have used it in cars and the Ford Ranger, just one example.
For some reason, the Japanese have never been keen on developing a good V8 motor.
Agreed. I shit on Ford because our family's had tons of issues with them over the years, but the 2.3 has been reliable.

Not a strong performer (0 to 60 in 10 seconds on a good day), mind you, but reliable.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
True, but im talking about more modern engines. Once upon a time they did make decent 4 bangers but most of the modernish ones aren't too great. They have had other 4-cyl cars that are good too but historically speaking, the v6 and v8 cars have always been more reliable than their 4 cylinder offerings.
Sponsored