Every single American car Brand is on the bottom in Consumer reports 2018 Reliability ratings

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Consumer Reports just came out with their 2018 reliability rankings, and guess what? American cars are at the bottom. Here is a summary:

Toyota and Lexus is at the top (no surprise there)
German car brands such as Mercedes and Audi are in the middle ranking
Every American car is at the bottom joined by Volvo

Honda's ranking dropped, but the good news is that it is mainly due to is shitty infotainment system (no surprise there!)

I own two Toyotas (Sienna and Camry) and a Honda (2018 Civic Si). Although Toyota makes the most low tech infotainment system with a tiny screen that basic serves as a backup camera screen, I would take it over any of these big huge tablets sticking out of my dash. Toyota separates the radio and HVAC systems and gives me buttons and switches, not touch screen versions of them. If I were to change anything on my Si, it would be to pull that fricken Infotainment system out for buttons and switches!

Anyway, here a link to the report

https://jalopnik.com/every-single-american-car-brand-is-on-the-bottom-half-o-1829974713
Sponsored

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't trust CR for a second, but no surprises here. They are correct.

I wouldn't drive a American branded car if I got it for free.
CR is probably the most reliable source on not just cars, but other consumer products as well. I have relied on them for years and they have never let me down on everything from vacuum cleaners to refrigerators

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
CR is probably the most reliable source on not just cars, but other consumer products as well. I have relied on them for years and they have never let me down on everything from vacuum cleaners to refrigerators

As to be expected, you are going to get some skepticism for mediocre Honda reliability scores in a Honda enthusiast website. The truth is, Honda's reliability has fallen since the death of the Companies founder. You can even read here about complaints about the infotainment screen, the quality of the paint, oil dilution, thin body panels,...

Honda's are still good, durable cars but not as reliable as they used to be.
Toyota is now the industry leader and the Korean cars are now as reliable as a Honda.
And CR is the best for determining reliability.

breakingakajav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP FK8, 91 Miata, 19 X-trek
Country flag

Yeah, but did you know Chevy has JD power awards for initial quality?

real people not actors were impressed by this so, you know...gotta count for something right :p

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
As to be expected, you are going to get some skepticism for mediocre Honda reliability scores in a Honda enthusiast website. The truth is, Honda's reliability has fallen since the death of the Companies founder. You can even read here about complaints about the infotainment screen, the quality of the paint, oil dilution, thin body panels,...

Honda's are still good, durable cars but not as reliable as they used to be.
Toyota is now the industry leader and the Korean cars are now as reliable as a Honda.
And CR is the best for determining reliability.
Consumer Reports helped me in my decision to buy a 2018 Civic. Haven't encountered any issues with infotainment system. What are the known issues?

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, but did you know Chevy has JD power awards for initial quality?

real people not actors were impressed by this so, you know...gotta count for something right :p
GM is the only American brand I like but you have to consider a lot of their lineup is now being built overseas in places like China and Germany.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
My dad and grandpa both retired from GM. Famlies been loyal, and I owned 4 GM cars and SUV's. The 2012 Cruze I had was the last straw.

Last edited:
OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Consumer Reports helped me in my decision to buy a 2018 Civic. Haven't encountered any issues with infotainment system. What are the known issues?
Where do I start? Well let me say I am not a fan of having to access the infotainment system just to change my fan speed, especially while driving. Also there have been times when I plugged in my phone and the volume control stops working when I am listening to the radio. It's become unresponsive at times, for no reason it changed my Audio source, trying to change it back while driving is distracting...I could go on and on. These are not deal breakers, they are more annoyances for me. As far as known issues, you can read the CR report in detail

Last edited:

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Where do I start? Well let me say I am not a fan of having to access the infotainment system just to change my fan speed, especially while driving. Also there have been times when I plugged in my phone and the volume control stops working when I am listening to the radio. It's become unresponsive at times, for no reason it changed my Audio source, trying to change it back while driving is distracting...I could go on and on. These are not deal breakers, they are more annoyances for me
I see your point, especially with the fan speed. However, I haven't encountered any of the other issues yet (I have a 2018 model which supposedly has the latest and greatest infotainment software)

I did rent a 2016 sedan and the infotainment system kept rebooting out of nowhere, it was scary while driving because the speedometer would reboot as well.

joecin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Touring-'18 Acura RDX Advance

I agree with your second sentence and not the first part of your first sentence,.:)

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I see your point, especially with the fan speed. However, I haven't encountered any of the other issues yet (I have a 2018 model which supposedly has the latest and greatest infotainment software)

I did rent a 2016 sedan and the infotainment system kept rebooting out of nowhere, it was scary while driving because the speedometer would reboot as well.
I do know that is the future of modern cars and we are going to have to get used to the infotainment systems, but think about this as well...what happens when it breaks down after the warranty expires? How much is it going to cost to replace, how are we going to use the HVAC/radio etc if and when it breaks? This is actually the scariest thing about this technology

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Kevin S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 hype R
Country flag

You know what they say about opinions...

I will say my c7 corvette has been flawless. No issues at all. My civic type R that is just under 3 weeks old - has now 2nd gear grinding, the infotainment is also garbage which i already knew going in. It has frozen 2-3 times and is generally just slow to operate but whatever i didn't buy this car for the info tainment crap haha. I drove it to drive it and the transmission issues and overheating on the track issues really have me worried about this car long term.

Also consumer reports is an absolute joke. True delta is better but not really that much better IMHO.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You know what they say about opinions...

I will say my c7 corvette has been flawless. No issues at all. My civic type R that is just under 3 weeks old - has now 2nd gear grinding, the infotainment is also garbage which i already knew going in. It has frozen 2-3 times and is generally just slow to operate but whatever i didn't buy this car for the info tainment crap haha. I drove it to drive it and the transmission issues and overheating on the track issues really have me worried about this car long term.

Also consumer reports is an absolute joke. True delta is better but not really that much better IMHO.
Glad your Corvette has not caused you any issues. Yes, I heard the Type R has grinding issues, at least the 2017 model. People who had the issue say that Honda replaced their trans. I wouldn't discount CR to much, a lot there analysis is not only based on their tests but on user surveys, over 5000 I believe
Sponsored