Ever get tired of a straight drive?

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Before you get out the pitch forks and touches...

I am 46, I grew up on straight drive, of my 25 some cars only 2 were automatics. Matter of fact my first vehicle I ever drove was a straight drive dump truck around my friends farm.

However, according to the various things I have read somewhere between 3 and 5 percent of cars sold in the US were straight drive with only 18 percent of the US population even able to drive a straight drive . . . that is it? WOW! IN comparison i read somewhere that European cars, about 79 percent had some sort of manual shifting.

Now for me nothing beats that off the line feeling at a stop light of a straight drive or when you want to dig into some curves and that symbiotic feeling of being one and fully in control of the action of the car that just makes me giddy at the helm of a straight drive car. Those quick jaunts down to the corner store for milk or what ever, that you drive as if your life depended on it. Having that 5 mins of freedom with no kids of wife or anything , just you and the gear shift in hand and then . . . Traffic!

Now as I age perhaps or maybe as I get lazier, I'm zipping along and then traffic, and the first thought I have is damn it I'm in a straight drive. And trust me where I live there is daily traffic, around every corner traffic. And then here comes the joy of a straight drive. You would think you were being trained to play a pump organ at a local church with the flurry of pedal pushing your feet have to start doing. Every thing going just fast enough you cant stay in 1st but just slow enough that 2nd wants to chug. 1st, move 5 feet, stop, 1st, 5 feet stop. Clutch clutch clutch, 1st, 2nd, 1st, clutch, brake brake, clutch ...... ugh!!!! (yeah I know that is not the order I'm being dramatic LOL)

Now I feel like a trader even thinking of automatic dreams, but I can't say my thoughts are pure anymore. Every now and then I see a nice automatic american sports car and I thing hum maybe I should get one, but then I mentally slap myself and say what is wrong with you? That was close you almost were a traitor to the art of driving a car.

Then there is the senior moments when you forget you are driving a manual. Coming off the highway from speed and coming to a stop at a red light and forgetting to downshift because you honestly forgot you where in a straight drive until the engine started to bog down and snapped you back to reality.

But anyway, what are your thoughts now that you read through my ramblings? Ever think of batting for the other team LOL. For me the day of owning an automatic might be close, I have microfiber towels ready to wipe the tears from the LED headlights of the R when I pull the automatic in next to her. But don't worry old girl , you and I will always have the best drives while auto will be the step child.
Sponsored

RajjyP

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hah. As I've put on the years I feel just like you. Prior to moving to AVL I only had stick cars...then I had the luck of being side swiped on 26 between HVL and AVL. Totaled that vehicle and after some pressured deliberation I ended up in an Audi S6. Great car, beautiful, quick, but a DSG transmission. Its good for what it is, but not nearly as engaging. And when you live where we live, I think you want the opportunity to row through your own gears when the mood strikes. Currently have a deposit down on a 2019 CTR to get back in a manual. Time will tell if I miss the ease of a lazy automatic.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hah. As I've put on the years I feel just like you. Prior to moving to AVL I only had stick cars...then I had the luck of being side swiped on 26 between HVL and AVL. Totaled that vehicle and after some pressured deliberation I ended up in an Audi S6. Great car, beautiful, quick, but a DSG transmission. Its good for what it is, but not nearly as engaging. And when you live where we live, I think you want the opportunity to row through your own gears when the mood strikes. Currently have a deposit down on a 2019 CTR to get back in a manual. Time will tell if I miss the ease of a lazy automatic.
Greetings brother. Then you know my pain. AVL, you cant go 30 mins before someone has every road in the county at a stand still because there was a puddle. I'm on here often, stay in touch and when you get your R we will go tear up about 50 foot of highway before we will have to stop for traffic lol. But seriously we will hit highway 151 and the parkway. Or if ever want to meet I'm right near exit 44 in candler.

RajjyP

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Greetings brother. Then you know my pain. AVL, you cant go 30 mins before someone has every road in the county at a stand still because there was a puddle. I'm on here often, stay in touch and when you get your R we will go tear up about 50 foot of highway before we will have to stop for traffic lol. But seriously we will hit highway 151 and the parkway. Or if ever want to meet I'm right near exit 44 in candler.
We definitely need to. Was excited to see another Western Carolina fella on here! Yeah I hear ya on how frustrating traffic can be. Thankfully on my daily between AVL and HVL I get a few changes to wind it up so it helps ease my tension! (by the way, which tire shop did you use, do you recommend them?)

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What the heck is a straight drive? Completely unrelated, but I'll have a coke, what kind of coke you ask, a Sprite.
Just depends where ya'll hail from. Straight drive, Manual. Standard or Stick. Just depends apon your particular vernacular. But heck lets go yonder and have a soda and jaw about it a spell.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
My winter beater is a 2001 Honda Accord V6 automatic.

Definitely easier to drive in traffic. Definitely boring to drive 100% of the time.

ChampwhiteFK8

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW Type R
Country flag
Sold my 2011 Si and got into a 2014 IS250 Automatic/ paddle shifters. Its a nice car and everything but Automatic got boring within the first 2 weeks. Now I'm saving up for a hefty down payment to put on a R. I miss driving stick, so engageful.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'm probably older than all of you and drove manual cars (mostly Hondas and Acuras) for over 25 years. I remember a number of years ago when my wife lost her job and we had to get down to one vehicle. She couldn't drive stick so we bought an automatic. I didn't hate it but missed the control the stick gave me. When I bought my current Civic EX-L sedan, I really took a chance with my first CVT. And surprisingly, it's not half bad. And my tune adds a bit to the fun factor. But nothing compares to three pedals.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We definitely need to. Was excited to see another Western Carolina fella on here! Yeah I hear ya on how frustrating traffic can be. Thankfully on my daily between AVL and HVL I get a few changes to wind it up so it helps ease my tension! (by the way, which tire shop did you use, do you recommend them?)
I used discount tire on airport road. The guy that changed my tires use to work at one in Hollywood and was use the tires on exspensive cars. They changed mine, questionable method aside, and not a scratch. I also went to discount tire on bleachery rd for my girlfriends juke tires. They messed up didn't have the tires so upgraded my tires for free to ones twice the cost. And again not a scratch on the rims. They got my buisness.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm probably older than all of you and drove manual cars (mostly Hondas and Acuras) for over 25 years. I remember a number of years ago when my wife lost her job and we had to get down to one vehicle. She couldn't drive stick so we bought an automatic. I didn't hate it but missed the control the stick gave me. When I bought my current Civic EX-L sedan, I really took a chance with my first CVT. And surprisingly, it's not half bad. And my tune adds a bit to the fun factor. But nothing compares to three pedals.
I'm always a tad worried I'll hurt my right arm or left leg and be screwed and not able to drive. That's always one down side to a manual.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'm always a tad worried I'll hurt my right arm or left leg and be screwed and not able to drive. That's always one down side to a manual.
I hear ya. I've recently been dealing with a left foot issue and honestly, I wouldn't be able to easily use the clutch without some pain... even with the lightness of the Civic's pedal.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
I drove manuals from 1989-2006, then drove an automatic/DCT till I got the CTR last year. I was a little worried about driving stick in congested DC traffic but I love it. And occasionally when I'm in my wife's car with an automatic I find myself reflexively trying to shift.

RajjyP

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I used discount tire on airport road. The guy that changed my tires use to work at one in Hollywood and was use the tires on exspensive cars. They changed mine, questionable method aside, and not a scratch. I also went to discount tire on bleachery rd for my girlfriends juke tires. They messed up didn't have the tires so upgraded my tires for free to ones twice the cost. And again not a scratch on the rims. They got my buisness.
Any chance you have the name of the guy at discount tire? :)

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
I think only people in North Carolina call manuals straight drives.
Sponsored