amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Maintaining knock control levels near .49 with a tune such as TSP1 should not be expected when using 91 octane.

Blending a small amount of E85 in will increase your octane level, decrease your knock control reading (due to less knock), and give back the power you lost by having a knock control level of .49.

If you already maintain a knock control level of .49, this would not help you.
I've heard maintaining a .48 or .49 driving hard is within normal levels. that's not correct? Definitely I agree we would benefit from 93 as this tune was done on a car running on 93
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've heard maintaining a .48 or .49 driving hard is within normal levels. that's not correct? Definitely I agree we would benefit from 93 as this tune was done on a car running on 93
Yes .49 KC is perfect. The TSP Stage 1 tune is designed for use with 93 octane. It can be used safely with good 91 octane but you do take a hit in performance because as knock control goes up the ECU will pull a bit of timing.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes .49 KC is perfect. The TSP Stage 1 tune is designed for use with 93 octane. It can be used safely with good 91 octane but you do take a hit in performance because as knock control goes up the ECU will pull a bit of timing.
Sorry, I re-read what you wrote earlier. I was pretty much able to maintain .48 and .49 on Costco 91, of course I would definitely do better on 93, but I feel I did fine on 91. Mixing 1 gallon of E is just to much of a hassle. The Costco is about 2 miles from my work and if I time it right it takes only 10 minutes to get in and out, then I would have to drive another 5 miles to the nearest Ethanol station

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry, I re-read what you wrote earlier. I was pretty much able to maintain .48 and .49 on Costco 91, of course I would definitely do better on 93, but I feel I did fine on 91. Mixing 1 gallon of E is just to much of a hassle. The Costco is about 2 miles from my work and if I time it right it takes only 10 minutes to get in and out, then I would have to drive another 5 miles to the nearest Ethanol station
No reason to mix in anything if you are holding at .49 (or close to it). :thumbsup:

waterudoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI HFP, 3V Mustang, G37xS
Country flag
California 91 is known to not be the greatest, even by 91 standards. You can safely blend in a small amount of E85 to help up the octane a bit but I would not start off with more than a gallon.
California has some of the best 91. Better than most 93 in the midwest.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've personally never had any issues with using 91, or 87 for that matter. I've been using 91 in my 2006 Camry SE 3.3L V6 (91 recommended) since I bought the car, I used it in my 2018 Si for over a year, and I've been using it in my IS350. The only issue I ever had with gasoline in CA is in 1991 when I live in LA Exxon accidentally mixed diesel with the regular gasoline and I had to have my carburetor in my 76 Mercedes rebuilt. I think a lot of people call it bad gas because of lack of 93 or 94

BTW, we now have to be nice to people or we will end up with a sad or angry emoji...

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
cant tell if joking or...because anti knock index or r+m/2 rating is the same in every state:crazy:

OP
OP
Beach civic si

Beach civic si

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Ya I’m going to try shell or chevron and see if the knock control goes down, I’ve been using 91 Vons gas not knowing that there are top tier fuels, I guess I hadn’t really looked into it
My ethanol sensor says 0, but I thought most gas has at least some ethanol in it up to 10 percent
If the chevron gas doesn’t lower the knock control the I’ll try adding 1 gallon of e85 and see what that does
Anybody have any experience with that?

OP
OP
Beach civic si

Beach civic si

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
I live in Northern Cal, but travel to SoCal frequently and I ran my 2018 Si with Ktuner TSP's Stage 1 for 15K on California 91 from Costco and I usually fill with Arco 91 when I hit near the Santa Clarita area, and never had an issue with knock. K control mainly stayed on .49 most of the time an occasionally hit .51 at WOT max but mainly stayed on .49. Now I drive a 2010 IS350 where 93 is recommended but of course you can't get that here so I use 91, again no issues with knock at all. Maybe it's the gas station you are using? Instead of adding Ethanol, maybe figure out what is causing the issue. Do you have an aftermarket intake or any other bolt-on?
No aftermarket intake or bolt ones yet, planning on a downpipe soon
Maybe it’s the station, I’ll try a top tier gas first
Thanks man

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I am currently on the TSP Stage 1 tune. Southern Cali 91 gives me around 0.5 to 0.6 knock control when cruising. Under back to back WOT, I hit the low 0.90's. After adding an aftermarket intercooler from 27Won, I'm still at around mid 0.5's when cruising. However, under numerous back to back WOT, I end up at the low 0.7's and knock control drops down to 0.5's very quickly afterward. I did a full review including data-logs on the 27Won FMIC.

An upgraded intercooler may help you achieve lower knock control numbers.

OP
OP
Beach civic si

Beach civic si

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
I am currently on the TSP Stage 1 tune. Southern Cali 91 gives me around 0.5 to 0.6 knock control when cruising. Under back to back WOT, I hit the low 0.90's. After adding an aftermarket intercooler from 27Won, I'm still at around mid 0.5's when cruising. However, under numerous back to back WOT, I end up at the low 0.7's and knock control drops down to 0.5's very quickly afterward. I did a full review including data-logs on the 27Won FMIC.

An upgraded intercooler may help you achieve lower knock control numbers.
Makes sense, mine are .7 even when cruising and idle, so I think it’s the gas,
I’m gunna switch to top tier gas and see if there is any change
Then I’ll try 1 gallon of e85 and see what that does

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Makes sense, mine are .7 even when cruising and idle, so I think it’s the gas,
I’m gunna switch to top tier gas and see if there is any change
Then I’ll try 1 gallon of e85 and see what that does
Costco gas has worked best for me so far, Chevron comes next.

waterudoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI HFP, 3V Mustang, G37xS
Country flag
cant tell if joking or...because anti knock index or r+m/2 rating is the same in every state:crazy:
You mean octane? Yeah, it's the same. But there's more to gas than just its octane rating. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Beach civic si

Beach civic si

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
You mean octane? Yeah, it's the same. But there's more to gas than just its octane rating. :rolleyes:
Ya there are other factors like detergents added in top tier gas to keep carbon deposits down as well as ethanol content can vary as well.
Sponsored