Episode 6 : Another day in the life of an R owner. . . The Tune.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
So it has been almost 2 years since I bought the R, June 19th 2017. I have been waiting and deliberating over doing a tune. Hondata...Ktuner...Honda...Ktuner. AHHHHH!! But, I am glad I waited and finally chose Hondata. Time weeded out the Chaff form the wheat. With a post for Kuner on another thread that said they were suspending development of the platform due to not many after market parts and some less then helpful replies from their customer service when I asked then to clarify that. Well, going to Hondata was an easy choice. But I digress not here to debate which is better just giving my reasons for my choice.

So anyway second reason I decided on tune like others I was, "ill wait till the warranty is up before I tune". But I thought about this a bit, I know of 2 type Rs that blew major components and one had a tune and one had a down pipe and guess what? Honda fixed then under warranty because the law says they have to prove that the mod did the damage. So I figure why wait 3 years till warranty is up and then 100 percent of the repair is on me if something goes wrong or tune now and enjoy the car and if something goes wrong there is a good chance it will still get fixed under warranty. And if it does so what I would be paying for it anyhow after warranty period. So tune here I come.

So first things first gotta order the Kit and jailbreak. I chose procivic.com because they had a special and no extra fee for return over night and the tuner was cheaper... strange how a dealer is cheaper to order from then hondata directly but oh well. Order placed and now to start my work.

First get the Ecu out. There you are.
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 6 : Another day in the life of an R owner. . . The Tune. 20190613_155943

Wont go into a lot of pictures of taking it out needless to say it was super easy 2 bolts and 2 clips and out. Then had to get it out of the shell that was 4 more bolts. took less then 10 mins... and here it is. Well the back of it anyway. Hey why is there finger prints all over it??? Those aren't mine...hummm
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 6 : Another day in the life of an R owner. . . The Tune. 20190610_140709

Anyway fill out the form, send it in and wait. While we wait lets see if we got any other parts to mess with from rock auto.. Na just a Cat-A-Lick-It converter. LOL I crack me up. No seriously wasn't R parts was mounts for my ford.
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 6 : Another day in the life of an R owner. . . The Tune. 20190614_201629

Still waiting... Ill mod this tractor while I wait.
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 6 : Another day in the life of an R owner. . . The Tune. 20190613_113008

Jesus this one day turn around seems like forever... Im so impatient.. wait wait I got a text! There is a package at the post office.. screw the tractor Im off.... damn it, I really got to do something about my girlfriend shopping on wish.com
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 6 : Another day in the life of an R owner. . . The Tune. Screenshot_4

Just kidding the tuner came and then the ecu came a few hours later. I immediately opened the tuner in the car. Oh is that not a sweet little warning, I promise ill only drive it on racetracks. Pinkie swear.
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 6 : Another day in the life of an R owner. . . The Tune. 20190613_102830

Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 6 : Another day in the life of an R owner. . . The Tune. 20190613_102913

My ECU Is back, oh I missed you. Oh it pairs nicely with a Flashpro, for racing only on tracks mind you.
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 6 : Another day in the life of an R owner. . . The Tune. Screenshot_3

Lets put it back in its home.
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 6 : Another day in the life of an R owner. . . The Tune. 20190613_153812

Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 6 : Another day in the life of an R owner. . . The Tune. 20190613_155943

All good, now take a little drive make sure all is working. Wont bore you with those pictures LOL
Now the fun stuff.
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 6 : Another day in the life of an R owner. . . The Tune. 20190613_162652

Download some software and ill be up and tuned in no time. Wait what? Crap, Have to register it before can use it? But dont want to put street car and get locked out of anything and I dont have a Competition team or License number um what do I do? So I called and asked :) guy said just put what ever. Sweet, so I did and now Im rocking and rolling.
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 6 : Another day in the life of an R owner. . . The Tune. 20190613_164002

Hook everything up
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 6 : Another day in the life of an R owner. . . The Tune. 20190613_165104

Pick a tune... I picked the 93 oct with increased throttle for a starter run tune. And just about ready...
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 6 : Another day in the life of an R owner. . . The Tune. 20190613_170249

Oh and set up the in car app and blue tooth.
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 6 : Another day in the life of an R owner. . . The Tune. 20190613_171309

Now for the test drive... Sorry I couldn't take a picture of holy shit this is awesome. But it looked something like this. I think I tore a hole in the fabric of time to be honest.
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 6 : Another day in the life of an R owner. . . The Tune. Over-speeding-480x238

Needless to say wow that was fun as hell. I have since tweaked some stuff and integrated my throttle controller. The throttle control makes a world of difference even with the tune. You can set the throttle up in Flashpro but you have just that one choice. With controller you can have the Hondata tune set as normal control and then still bump it up nine stages on the fly with the controller. I currently have it a sport 7 and this puppy flies. Throttle control is that little injen box there in last picture.

Oh yeah I also got a little something special from procivic that gets me 13 extra HP.... stickers
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 6 : Another day in the life of an R owner. . . The Tune. 20190613_163038

Well what a day time for pizza. Its not delivery its...
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 6 : Another day in the life of an R owner. . . The Tune. 20190614_180053

Thanks again all for taking the time to look at my post. I mean the tune is a hard financial pill to swallow. With Hondata they say 695.00 but once all said and done will be a grand. Just the flash pro is 695.00, the jail break is 250.00 and the return shipping they charge 50. And if you over night it to them depending where you live will be about another 50. Plus then there is tax and all said and done its about a grand more or less depending on who you get it from.

But once I hit the gas and especially third gear I was ha whats a grand... LOL
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 6 : Another day in the life of an R owner. . . The Tune. 2003229_0

OH and the best part ever... being able to have the car start in +R mode as default
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 6 : Another day in the life of an R owner. . . The Tune. 20190614_221245

Thanks again everyone. Stay tuned for episode 7

Last edited: