JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2015 Silverado, 2007 Rabbit
Country flag
Thanks for taking the time to put this together.
I just got my 2018 a few months ago and (mostly) agree with you.
I'll play it out for a year or so and either sell it or turn it into a real race car.
I think there is a solid car culture here it is just different --- and at 58 the age of the Honda tuner crowd they could be my grandkids... had my racing Miata to C&C and got nothing but great comments. Certainly never experienced any animosity over owning an import.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Thanks for taking the time to put this together.
I just got my 2018 a few months ago and (mostly) agree with you.
I'll play it out for a year or so and either sell it or turn it into a real race car.
I think there is a solid car culture here it is just different --- and at 58 the age of the Honda tuner crowd they could be my grandkids... had my racing Miata to C&C and got nothing but great comments. Certainly never experienced any animosity over owning an import.
Yeah no one was really rude but the truck crowd. It is just the general attitude here were I live. Good old boy, merica, and the you aint from here are ya attitude. And when ya just want to go look at cars its sort of alienating being the only honda among 200 cars. Its a shame really, wish I lived where car people werent so closed minded.

JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2015 Silverado, 2007 Rabbit
Country flag
Gotta admit I've only been to Greenville C&C and wandered a few "classic" gatherings here in Anderson. Yeah, I suspect we might not be welcome with open arms at the late evening Chevy meet at the American Classic drive in. I even leave my rainbow WARREN 2020 hat in the car... :bump:

Funny - I'm from the NYC area where a show-car meant a show car. Here, and in VA too, it seems like just about anything goes... I've never seen so many cars with $20,000 exteriors and $200 engines, etc. etc. etc.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
I think a good portion of R owners are of the older crowd. Honda maybe got the demographics somewhat wrong? I love the styling though, so Iā€™m glad they did?

Anyways that older crowd I feel is indifferent to the old ways that we grew up with. That is the Import Vs Muscle blah blah.

I like and have owned ā€œmuscleā€.

I just like cars man.

I can appreciate Honda as a brand with history and I actually do like how they tune their cars. Case In point cars like the Type-Rs, S2K, NSX NA1/2, some SIs, all have that no torque, high rev drone, and finicky trans. This is what people tire of in traffic. But I like that ā€œJapaneseā€ feel. Itā€™s a regular car with something unique that added the feeling of a racer you canā€™t afford it donā€™t want to spend the money for.

When I owned my z06 and when I was out shopping for GT350s, all it took was one drive in an S2K to set my priorities straight. Personally I just want to have fun driving and for me that doesnā€™t actually mean speed.

Robotaz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
I had a ā€˜15 Mustang GT and donā€™t miss it. Lost $10K in value in 6 months, had a wheel bearing fail at 3,000 miles which Ford denied warranty claim on. The manual tranny was just garbage. Traded it at 5,500 miles and never again.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had a ā€˜15 Mustang GT and donā€™t miss it. Lost $10K in value in 6 months, had a wheel bearing fail at 3,000 miles which Ford denied warranty claim on. The manual tranny was just garbage. Traded it at 5,500 miles and never again.
Oh man that sucks. This is my 4th, v6, 2 gts and a cobra never had an issue. Hate you had a bad one.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
You are lucky to still be alive. Never ever ever, go under the car like that while using a jack as a supporting device. A jack is only a lifting device, not a supporting device. Always use jackstands with a safety pin, always use the jack as a backup to the jackstands, and use the wheels or secondary jacks as a backup to the backups.

You are extremely lucky, that simple.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You are lucky to still be alive. Never ever ever, go under the car like that while using a jack as a supporting device. A jack is only a lifting device, not a supporting device. Always use jackstands with a safety pin, always use the jack as a backup to the jackstands, and use the wheels or secondary jacks as a backup to the backups.

You are extremely lucky, that simple.
Thanks for the concern. But we did indeed have jack stands. Guess just cant see them in pictures. We used 4 ton stands.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
Thanks for the concern. But we did indeed have jack stands. Guess just cant see them in pictures. We used 4 ton stands.
If thatā€™s where the jack is, and the rear wheel is on the floor, where are your jackstands? In this photo you were working right off of that jack. Itā€™s your safety not mine ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 10: Another day in the life of an R owner. Deconstruction of the Dream upload_2019-9-3_7-51-25

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Enjoy the Mustang! That would be my choice of a pony car if I had to choose.

I did do a quick check and Carvana said they would give me $26K for mine with 20K miles. Yeah, no. They can kick rocks. Unfortunately I have had two accidents (one not my fault) which I think is killing trade value. If a dealer said they would give me $30K I might bite, but not decided yet.

I echo your reasons though - I do not like crawling around in traffic in this thing, and even though I have my RAV4, itā€™s 13 years older and I prefer the modern amenities of my Type R for a daily commute. Since school started up though thereā€™s already been an uptick in traffic.. which means even less opportunities to actually have fun in it.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If thatā€™s where the jack is, and the rear wheel is on the floor, where are your jackstands? In this photo you were working right off of that jack. Itā€™s your safety not mine ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

upload_2019-9-3_7-51-25.jpeg
Dude seriously. The stands are under the car on the frame. You just cant see them from this angle. Again thanks for your concern. Also if you would pay attention to the pictures with your super detective skills, the picture right before that one and the picture right after that one has the empty jack stand box in them. why is it empty? because the stands are under the car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Enjoy the Mustang! That would be my choice of a pony car if I had to choose.

I did do a quick check and Carvana said they would give me $26K for mine with 20K miles. Yeah, no. They can kick rocks. Unfortunately I have had two accidents (one not my fault) which I think is killing trade value. If a dealer said they would give me $30K I might bite, but not decided yet.

I echo your reasons though - I do not like crawling around in traffic in this thing, and even though I have my RAV4, itā€™s 13 years older and I prefer the modern amenities of my Type R for a daily commute. Since school started up though thereā€™s already been an uptick in traffic.. which means even less opportunities to actually have fun in it.
Ouch yeah that 2 accidents might be hurting ya. a dealer might not go 30 because of it. everyone now checks carfax and vin checks. once they see 2 accidents.. makes the car harder to sell and worth even less. Best of luck though perhaps a dealer will come through for you.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
Dude seriously. The stands are under the car on the frame. You just cant see them from this angle. Again thanks for your concern. Also if you would pay attention to the pictures with your super detective skills, the picture right before that one and the picture right after that one has the empty jack stand box in them. why is it empty? because the stands are under the car.
Detective skills? Lol. You donā€™t have jackstands under that car, there are three tires on the floor and a jack lifting the car just enough for you to fit. An empty jack stand box means nothing with that setup you have going on. Do your thing man, you donā€™t need to convince me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Detective skills? Lol. You donā€™t have jackstands under that car, there are three tires on the floor and a jack lifting the car just enough for you to fit. An empty jack stand box means nothing with that setup you have going on. Do your thing man, you donā€™t need to convince me.
So sick of ass hats ruining my threads being jerks.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
So sick of ass hats ruining my threads being jerks.
Iā€™ll ruin your thread if that means others who are inexperienced and lurking wonā€™t wind up crushing themselves under their cars because they believe that you know what youā€™re doing.

I enjoy your threads and excitement for cars, and the uniqueness of your posts. But just imagine an 18 year old 5 years from now running into this thread and seeing your photos. Itā€™s unfortunately all too common for people to get crushed under their cars for using a jack as a supporting device.

Sorry man, I am not trying to trash your threads. But three wheels on the floor and that height on the front wheel isnā€™t enough for even the lowest setting of a jackstand to fit.

Again, do your thing. Work on your cars however works best for you.
Sponsored

Last edited: