EPB is NOT engaging... am I f*cked?

Vesutiiji

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Sooooooo...... I live in PA and with the great weather (snow, freezing rain, and lots of slush today) i got stuck in some snow. I ended up getting some tire spin (VSA was on) and then after about 5 minutes of me trying to get myself unstuck from the snow. The Vsa light, abs light, electronic parking brake system warning, brake system warning, hill assist off warning to name a few came on and now, the stupid electronic parking brake wont engage. My baby is currently parked with 2 cinder blocks behind the rear wheels. Can anyone shed some light? I dont understand how the snow could have caused my epb to not work and it's frustrating since I cant conceptualize the problem to figure out the solution.... my baby.... please help me save my baby my fellow brethrens!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Vesutiiji

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Limp Mode? Sorry for being a noob, but please explain. Bruh, I love my car, and this makes me want to cry. I checked the wheel wells and it looks clear of any obstructions, when I step on the brakes and proceed to engage EPB, the EPB tries to engage and you can feel it in the brake pedal but then it stops half way.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Limp Mode? Sorry for being a noob, but please explain. Bruh, I love my car, and this makes me want to cry. I checked the wheel wells and it looks clear of any obstructions, when I step on the brakes and proceed to engage EPB, the EPB tries to engage and you can feel it in the brake pedal but then it stops half way.
Limp mode is safety mechanism of the ECU when it detects something wrong with the car. It won't let the car go across a certain speed and RPM when it's in limp mode. Is your car driving normally aside from the errors? Is there a CEL? Those errors should not come on from just driving in the snow but my guess is moisture got somewhere it wasn't supposed to and it messed something up. I doubt anyone can tell you exactly what's wrong without looking at the car in person though. If the car drives normally, bring it to the dealer ASAP. Generally speaking, the EPB not working along with other brake functions aren't a symptom of limp mode.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
you must have messed up one of the brakes. take it in. might just need to melt any ice out but i wouldnt mess with brakes.

OP
OP

Vesutiiji

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Thank you both of you! I was thinking the same about the ice probably accumulating and needs to melt. But as its hella cold right now, there's not real way of process of eliminating. I already scheduled an appointment with the dealership, but no opening until next week.

And the car drives fine aside from the errors, with the exception of the ebrake. There was one thing I noticed is while the ebrake wont engage, when I am at a complete stop, on the slight hill of a driveway we have, it doesnt roll back as if brake is completely disengage. It's almost like parking brake is partially engaged since it rolls back very slowly. Also, no CEL.

Thank you for coming to my aid gents. It is very appreciated and definitely feel welcomed into the type r community already.

Vinsmoke

First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Thank you both of you! I was thinking the same about the ice probably accumulating and needs to melt. But as its hella cold right now, there's not real way of process of eliminating. I already scheduled an appointment with the dealership, but no opening until next week.

And the car drives fine aside from the errors, with the exception of the ebrake. There was one thing I noticed is while the ebrake wont engage, when I am at a complete stop, on the slight hill of a driveway we have, it doesnt roll back as if brake is completely disengage. It's almost like parking brake is partially engaged since it rolls back very slowly. Also, no CEL.

Thank you for coming to my aid gents. It is very appreciated and definitely feel welcomed into the type r community already.
Have you tried driving it around I read somewhere when all lights come on you'll have to drive it around for at least 30 mins for the system to re-learn itself. Also your answer might be in this long thread/post, https://www.civicx.com/threads/dyno...edure-and-avoiding-chassis-safety-mode.30598/ He goes over all the VSA lights and procedures to fix it. I understand you didn't dyno the vehicle but the fact that it was stuck and I assumed you kept gassing the car until you got unstuck, the vehicle probably threw a code due to the tires kept spinning. Worse case scenario is to disconnect the battery but even that might not be enough to make it go away. Sorry to hear and hope you get it fixed soon.

OP
OP

Vesutiiji

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Have you tried driving it around I read somewhere when all lights come on you'll have to drive it around for at least 30 mins for the system to re-learn itself. Also your answer might be in this long thread/post, https://www.civicx.com/threads/dyno...edure-and-avoiding-chassis-safety-mode.30598/ He goes over all the VSA lights and procedures to fix it. I understand you didn't dyno the vehicle but the fact that it was stuck and I assumed you kept gassing the car until you got unstuck, the vehicle probably threw a code due to the tires kept spinning. Worse case scenario is to disconnect the battery but even that might not be enough to make it go away. Sorry to hear and hope you get it fixed soon.
I didnt get to drive it under normal conditions for 30 minutes since the roads were pretty much all iced over. What troubles me most isn't the lights(crazy right) but the fact that the ebrake wont engage. Freaks me out how being stuck in snow could even do that. :(

OP
OP

Vesutiiji

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Minor update, a buddy of mine loaned me his obd2 reader, and it does not pick up any fault codes. The lights on the dash is proof enough. Why wouldn't the obd detect it?

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
Minor update, a buddy of mine loaned me his obd2 reader, and it does not pick up any fault codes. The lights on the dash is proof enough. Why wouldn't the obd detect it?
I agree with @Vinsmoke
It sounds like the same errors seen on a dyno which include the e-brake not engaging. Read through the thread he linked to. I expect that everything you need is in there.

Also, unless you're parking on a decent incline, you don't need the e-brake. Just leave it in 1st gear or reverse.

OP
OP

Vesutiiji

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Update. Drove it for about an hour and a half... still nothing. It displays the exact symptoms the guys post had described. Guess I'll continue tomorrow.

MacKharoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2000,2017 hatch sport
Country flag
Have an app to take it in, no openings til monday.
Yeah mine electronic parking brake won't engage anymore. I had electronic parking brake on with disconnected battery in my garage for 2 months. Then I started up the car and disengaged the EPB. Now it won't engage anymore

Honda Civic 10th gen EPB is NOT engaging... am I f*cked? 20190215_161124
Sponsored