Enough Talk... Who has actually changed their CVT Fluid?

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Let us know how that goes.
I did not have an adapter/socket for my breaker. I lost a ratchet before it gave for me.

Everyone is talking about using the lower orifice to do something. I'm fairly sure I just dumped in 4qts, and did the last bit slowly in case it was topped off. IIRC, the entire inside of the CVT is immersed... wet clutch, the whole thing. I figured if I did not leave it to drain too long and the manual states under 4 for a change, I'd leave it just fine or in the same underfill condition it came from the factory with. :dunno: Been about 20k miles and I didn't figure wrong!

I changed my fluid very early so I could send it away before any modifications; to establish a baseline. Blackstone will analyze CVT Fluid! I am not very interested in doing that more than is called for. However, someone stated on this or another cvt fluid thread that they felt the transmission is not likely as Honda-reliable as the engine and could probably use some TLC and Prudence. I agree. Now that it is getting down below freezing in my area, I've again started using a heat pad I have installed on the cvt pan. I'll have longer intervals than someone changing more, but less wear for a chunk of the year.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bubbaleenc

Owning the country roads.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T Sedan '01 4Runner '18 Suburban
Country flag
Finally found it! It was as elusive as that special spot on that special someone... and once found it seems obvious!

Just above and forward of the drain bolt and at an odd angle, is the 12mm check bolt.

Honda Civic 10th gen Enough Talk... Who has actually changed their CVT Fluid? upload_2018-12-4_21-11-57

Mine dripped very slowly for about 5 minutes after the fill. I replaced the bolt and called it done.

I’ll do a formal write up soon!

Done: https://www.civicx.com/threads/how-to-change-transmission-oil-on-1-5t-cvt.31029/

Last edited:

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Is CVT fluid same as transmission fluid?

bubbaleenc

Owning the country roads.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T Sedan '01 4Runner '18 Suburban
Country flag
Is CVT fluid same as transmission fluid?
It is not the same - Most AT fluid is Dexron or Mercon spec or the synthetic counterpart. CVT oil is a different formulation that better handles the higher shear tendencies of the oil caused by the CVT belt on the cones while still being fluid enough to work well in the torque converter. If one used ATF instead of CVT oil, the CVT would certainly experience increased wear and likely be damaged in time.
Sponsored