Enough Talk... Who has actually changed their CVT Fluid?

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe ABM, 2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
I received my AmsOil CVT fluid today. Has anyone else done this and gone with Amsoil instead of Honda? Is it okay to mix the two fluids? Also if I drain this on ramps (instead of flat), is it possible that more than 3.9 qts will drain out? I only bought 4 qts.
Sponsored

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
I received my AmsOil CVT fluid today. Has anyone else done this and gone with Amsoil instead of Honda? Is it okay to mix the two fluids? Also if I drain this on ramps (instead of flat), is it possible that more than 3.9 qts will drain out? I only bought 4 qts.
If I were you I would get a $10 24 hour subscription to Honda's service network. It may not be as simple as drain and fill. For example on a 2010 BMW M3 with DCT you must use a GT1 (computer) after topping off with engine running (the GT1 keeps RPM at a certain level and opens solenoids in the trans to get rid of all air) to squeeze in another qt. Not doing this step basically nets you a trans that is low on oil.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Mine has about 8K on the clock, I will change mine when it hits about 20K.

brox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.o L
Country flag
Just wondering if you had a chance to do this yet, will be doing mine soon and would like to know how you added the fluid, did you use the fluid level check hole to add your fluid or did you use the hole with the rubber stopper? Cannot understand how I could ever get a funnel into where the rubber stopper is.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Just wondering if you had a chance to do this yet, will be doing mine soon and would like to know how you added the fluid, did you use the fluid level check hole to add your fluid or did you use the hole with the rubber stopper? Cannot understand how I could ever get a funnel into where the rubber stopper is.
I am quite sure that it is the same as my 14 Accord Cvt that I changed. I used the Amsoil Cvt fluid and measured the amount I drained out. I refilled with the same amount through the hole with the rubber stopper. The amsoil fluid worked good and never had any problems. A funnel with a long spout is definitely recommended.

OP
OP
cmwalton16

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe ABM, 2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
I am quite sure that it is the same as my 14 Accord Cvt that I changed. I used the Amsoil Cvt fluid and measured the amount I drained out. I refilled with the same amount through the hole with the rubber stopper. The amsoil fluid worked good and never had any problems. A funnel with a long spout is definitely recommended.
Great! Thank you!

Soamazen23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CivicX EX
Country flag
I would not recommend using other fluids thats not made specifically for this vehicle. unless you are doing a complete transmission overhaul and draining out ALL of the fluid inside the transmission you will be mixing fluid. You have to take into account that if you drain 3.9qts more than likely you will be leaving approximately 2.5 - 3.5 qts inside the valve body, lines, cavities, etc. If anything happens to your transmission in the future, the dealer can void the warranty. Honda does state that mixing fluids can void warranty.

1stHondaEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan LX
Country flag
I would not recommend using other fluids thats not made specifically for this vehicle. unless you are doing a complete transmission overhaul and draining out ALL of the fluid inside the transmission you will be mixing fluid. You have to take into account that if you drain 3.9qts more than likely you will be leaving approximately 2.5 - 3.5 qts inside the valve body, lines, cavities, etc. If anything happens to your transmission in the future, the dealer can void the warranty. Honda does state that mixing fluids can void warranty.

That's because Honda will tell you anything so that you buy their fluid at $19 a liter.

Amsoil is probably better than the OEM fluid and therefore you're mixing a higher quality product with theirs.

Now if you buy off the shelf CVT fluid from Walmart or something, I would anticipate a problem w/ both the CVT and the warranty.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
I had paid the $10 bucks and gotten all the info.

This is for cars with 1.5T engine
The entire transmission takes 8 quarts. A simple drain and fill will get you about 3.9 quarts.

There are 3 bolts on the transmission. A drain, a fluid check and a fill plug.

There are a fluid level check procedure.

Steps
Start engine
Shift level through all gears, wait 3 second at each gear.
Turn off engine
Remove check bolt. *do this RIGHT AFTER the gear shift
The fluid level is good when fluid is just "gradually dripping" from the check hole
If the fluid is rushing out, let it drain til the flow becomes "gradually dripping"
Re-stall bolt.

Note:Follow this at your own risk, this is just my summary of the procedures, it doesnt represent the info shared on the that site. If you damage yourself vehicle, I dont take any liability.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you have a car that is under the TSB for the CVT Valve body due to the warm start grind, just take it in for the warranty work and voila, you get a free CVT fluid change!

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
If you have a car that is under the TSB for the CVT Valve body due to the warm start grind, just take it in for the warranty work and voila, you get a free CVT fluid change!
that's what im going to do but still only have 12k on my car. should be at 15 or 16k next spring/summer. perfect time for a change

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
that's what im going to do but still only have 12k on my car. should be at 15 or 16k next spring/summer. perfect time for a change
yes sir, I had 22k when I went in for the AC compressor issue. Told my tech about the TSB and he said they would handle it!

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's because Honda will tell you anything so that you buy their fluid at $19 a liter.

Amsoil is probably better than the OEM fluid and therefore you're mixing a higher quality product with theirs.

Now if you buy off the shelf CVT fluid from Walmart or something, I would anticipate a problem w/ both the CVT and the warranty.
Amsoil has an OE Warranty Guarantee. The fluid is compatible, meets or exceeds (I suspect the latter) Honda Specs, and is perfectly fine to use for a change. Because the fluid type is compatible, Honda cannot void your warranty. Anything else being said is FUD.

HMan

AB 1.5T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe EXT
Amsoil has an OE Warranty Guarantee. The fluid is compatible, meets or exceeds (I suspect the latter) Honda Specs, and is perfectly fine to use for a change. Because the fluid type is compatible, Honda cannot void your warranty. Anything else being said is FUD.
I'm going amsoil next week (we all use it in my family, drag cars, personal cars) for the tranny too. Is there a list of affected vin's for the CVT tsb?
Sponsored