First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring - Red
Country flag
Hey All, I am a new member here!

Just wondering what you guys think is going on with my 2016 Civic Touring. I have had it for 1 year 1 month, I currently have 17500 Miles on it and often (once a day maybe) my car will feel like it's stalling. One time it actually fully slowed down to a stop and wouldn't accelerate when pushing down the pedal, I shut it off and waited a second then turned it back on and accelerated slowly and it was fine. You can just tell sometimes the punch I was used to feeling when pushing down the gas is just kind of lagging and not really there. Other times when accelerating over about 34 MPH to 35 and higher It will stall a bit and then kind of go and I look back and the exhaust has let out a bunch of white smoke.

Anyways have any of you experienced this? know maybe what the cause is? I was thinking maybe it's the Gas I ump into it (Regular Octane 87 I believe), I have no clue any help is greatly appreciated.

And I did bring my car to my dealer to check what was going wrong and they kept it for a day ran the full inspection of it and they said it seemed fine and could not replicate the issue. They did say if it kept happening to get back to them and they would open a special case with Honda so I will likely have to do that either way.

Thank you all for reading!
Sponsored

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Leak when turbo builds pressure?

Givah-sum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EXT coupe
Country flag
My Guess is head gasket or O ring, not sure which it has. Lack of power, and white smoke. White smoke could be caused by burning anti freeze.
Then when the engine cools off it seals better and seems ok driving normally.
Boosted engines run under pressure and that pressure will find the easiest route out.
Also check your charge tubes to make sure they are not loose, that could cause a lack of power too.
Just do what your dealer tells you and if it has a real problem, they will have to fix it under warranty.

Givah-sum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EXT coupe
Country flag
Ive seen the white smoke on 2 different vehicles in the past, both head gaskets. Now Im on my third boosted car, it doesnt concern me, the gain is worth the pain.

Moto2107

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic hatchback
Hey All, I am a new member here!

Just wondering what you guys think is going on with my 2016 Civic Touring. I have had it for 1 year 1 month, I currently have 17500 Miles on it and often (once a day maybe) my car will feel like it's stalling. One time it actually fully slowed down to a stop and wouldn't accelerate when pushing down the pedal, I shut it off and waited a second then turned it back on and accelerated slowly and it was fine. You can just tell sometimes the punch I was used to feeling when pushing down the gas is just kind of lagging and not really there. Other times when accelerating over about 34 MPH to 35 and higher It will stall a bit and then kind of go and I look back and the exhaust has let out a bunch of white smoke.

Anyways have any of you experienced this? know maybe what the cause is? I was thinking maybe it's the Gas I ump into it (Regular Octane 87 I believe), I have no clue any help is greatly appreciated.

And I did bring my car to my dealer to check what was going wrong and they kept it for a day ran the full inspection of it and they said it seemed fine and could not replicate the issue. They did say if it kept happening to get back to them and they would open a special case with Honda so I will likely have to do that either way.

Thank you all for reading!
I’m having the same problem with my 2017 hatchback. Stalled while going into the freeway. Tried to restart it and had a extremely hard idle. Gave it a little gas and would stall again. I have the cvt. This is a car with only 20k miles on it.

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
Few of the members here posted the same issue. I'll see if I can find it for you.

tstan7777

First Name
todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
My hatchback sport did close to the same on me last week.. Stock with 45k. I had cruise set at 45 mph and it suddenly started struggling. It kind of studdered/surged then the cvt had to raise the rpm to 2500k to maintain 45 mph. About that time I made a right onto the feeder road to enter the highway and stalled out. No acceleration at all. It was dead in the water on the on ramp. Luckily no one was behind me and it began to move begrudgingly. The whole episode lasted about 30 seconds I guess. It worked itself out and it hasn't repeated, but sure makes you a little nervous. Oh...no codes either.

tstan7777

First Name
todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Here’s an update

So I pull up to the gas pump today and just as I come to s stop, the engine begins to struggle. It’s running rough and acts as if it might die, so I shift into park. About that time I see a huge cloud of white smoke pouring out the tail. My mind is trying to process what the hell is going on, and then it starts to knock. I shut it off.

It’s got 44k on it so surely it will be covered under the 5 yr/60k powertrain warranty. I had to crank it again to move it to a proper place to park, but I didn’t drive it. I’ll call the dealer tomorrow and see if they can pick it up.

Last edited:

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here’s an update

So I pull up to the gas pump today and just as I come to s stop, the engine begins to struggle. It’s running rough and acts as if it might die, so I shift into park. About that time I see a huge cloud of white smoke pouring out the tail. My mind is trying to process what the hell is going on, and then it starts to knock. I shut it off.

It’s got 44k on it so surely it will be covered under the 5 yr/60k powertrain warranty. I had to crank it again to move it to a proper place to park, but I didn’t drive it. I’ll call the dealer tomorrow and see if they can pick it up.
Whats the update on this? Just curious. I blew a head gasket, I have coolant on top of piston 3 and 4. Honda did computer and injector test and said nothing was wrong with the car. I then told them to do a compression test and check cyl and plugs 3 and 4. they pulled plug 3 and said it looked clean. They charged me $85 for the tests the end. I picked up the car and called the next day for refund because they didn't compression test and the car is 9 months old, which they refunded me. Now I'm going to pull the head and replace on the weekend with a mechanic. I don't trust a dealership one bit.
Sponsored