wallyinc

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R , S2000 Powered ‘72 BMW 2002
Country flag
I will get straight to the point. My engine makes an obnoxious rattling noise when applying the ebrake. The noise occurs when applying the foot brake too, it’s a slight tapping noise at idle, but again it gets extremely loud at times, especially with the ebrake.

I’ve taken my car into the dealership and they’re telling me it’s a “characteristic” of the Type R. Talked to Honda Customer service directly and they say the same.

How can it be a characteristic that it sounds like someone is banging a wrench at my valve cover and the noise is audible from 10feet away from the car.

I don’t know any R owners in my area. Is anyone else experiencing engine noise? Any and all help is appreciated.
Sponsored

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
Please take a video of the sound.

It is normal to hear a clicking sound from the valves at idle. It is a little louder on this car than others I guess. Definitely audible from 10 feet. Can't really tell if that's what you're hearing though without a video or sound clip.

EDIT: Do you only hear the sound when the e-brake or brake pedal is moving, or are you saying once fully stopped, you hear the sound?

OP
OP
wallyinc

wallyinc

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R , S2000 Powered ‘72 BMW 2002
Country flag
The sound is not the valves and ONLY occurs when then car is at idle AND with either the foot brake or ebrake applied.

I have been told (by the dealer many different stories). (1)That it is happening because the brakes are wired to the main engine harness (2) it is being caused by vacuum from the brake booster (3) it is being caused because the engine has no balance shafts (the same mechanic told me that the quiet/non-knocking accord with the 2.0t DOES have a balance shaft... which isn’t true).

I have rebuilt engines my whole life, from flathead fords, to LS’, to Honda F20/F22’s. This is not normal. It literally sounds like someone is banging at my engine with a mallet. I’ve owned a 98 hatch and 06 SI, both with 150k and no engine problems whatsoever ever.

I’m feeling severely let down by Honda & Just wanted to see if anyone had experienced anything remotely similar.

I apologize for the lack of video but The car is currently at the dealership (has been for 3weeks), I will take video when I get it back.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
(3) it is being caused because the engine has no balance shafts (the same mechanic told me that the quiet/non-knocking accord with the 2.0t DOES have a balance shaft... which isn’t true).
The engine doesn't have balance shafts in the Type R but the 2.0T accord does have balance shafts. So your mechanic was correct, which casts doubt on your entire story.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-exactly-what-makes-the-2018-honda-accord-and-civi-1820164645

"Honda added balance shafts to the engine on the Accord in order to reduce vibration and make it run smoother."

Unless we hear the sound ourselves, we have no idea what you're talking about. My car doesn't make any different noise at idle with the brake applied. When I apply the e-brake, I hear a whine from the e-Brake applying, but it doesn't sound like a bang. It sounds like a servo actuating. Is that what you're talking about?

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
The e-brake, as the name implies, is electronic. If they told you the sound is from the brake booster and only the e-brake is engaged, that doesn't sound right at all.

nick_takov

First Name
Nikola
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R R-21190
Country flag
I think what you hearing knocking and clicking if you referring to same thing I think is direct injection, it is loud at idle and you can def hear it some distance away from the car. It is normal for all direct injection cars . It injectors that are knocking spraying some fuel into the engine That is why they are telling you it is normal. My buddy had WV CC APR Stage 2 and knocking at idle was loud af lol

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I swear there's a post titled something like this, but it turned out to be the brake line hitting against the engine...might want to check that.

Edit: I searched, can't find it lol...swear I'm not crazy :eek:

Lmlamirande

First Name
Louis Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r 2018
Country flag
Hi
My car have the same noise but no need apply ebrake. Rattle only warm, idle.

Dealer put new timing chain, adjust valve,remove alternator strap, open the engine, found nothing, put new engine (head and short bloc) ... Change nothing.

The car have no flashpro , just thermal r&d exhaust

There is the rattle

Last edited:

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi
My car have the same noise but no need apply ebrake. Rattle only warm, idle.

Dealer put new timing chain, remove alternator strap, open the engine, found nothing, put new engine (head and short bloc) ... Change nothing.

There is the rattle
Yikes, I can see that being mildly infuriating.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
im not a Car whisperer or anything but sounds normal to me lol

Lmlamirande

First Name
Louis Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r 2018
Country flag
On the left, you can hear rattle. On the right side of the engine, normal sounds (DI).

compared with another type r (side by side) other type R have no rattle sounds on the left engine.
Sponsored

Last edited: