Engine Break-In / Cold Start Tips?

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
So I will be taking delivery of my EX-T this coming Thursday and I just wanted some input on a few things. I am really "picky" you could say and want to break-in my 1.5T as best as possible. I live in a cold climate, and temperatures this week will be around the -20 mark. Do any members have any engine break-in tips? I have always warmed up my cars for a few mins on a cold days, but recently I've read its best to get in and drive right away. And of course be easy on the throttle until the car gets warm. So I'm kind of confused.. The dealer has installed a block heater so I will put that to good use as well.

Any insight is appreciated!
Sponsored

pwschuh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed
Country flag
It NEVER hurts to let the engine run for a moment after a very cold start. The "just get in and drive" is an old bit of advice to keep people from wasting gas. That's not something I particularly care about, especially as compared to engine health, so I always give a cold engine a chance to get its oil moving throughout. Not a long time, just a minute or two at most. Even when your engine temp gauge shows that the engine is up to temp, that is measuring coolant temp, not oil temp. The oil takes longer to heat up (and cool down when it's hot). Most block heaters work on the coolant, not the oil. But some heat from that warm coolant will transfer through the metal of the block and allow your oil to warm up a little faster. Warm oil is what your turbo will want before you give it a lot of boost. Not sure what kind of boost gauge the turbos have, but I would not explore high RPMs in a turbo car until the engine oil is fully warmed. Having mechanical sympathy will go a long way to keeping your car alive for a long time.

OP
OP
NorthernEX-T

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. I could care less about the extra gas it may use to warm up my engine for a min or two. Thanks

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
The block heater will help considerably. If on a timer, have it go on at least 2 hours before starting engine. Leave your vent fan speed at low for a quicker and more complete warmup. Let it idle for up to a minute or so depending on how cold it is, then drive moderately at first... Does it reach normal operating temperature in reasonable time at -20C? You may consider covering part of the grille, or behind it.

There is a CVT oil warmer which the engine coolant exchanges heat with as well, by the way.

Last edited:

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
My advice? Don't worry about it. Just avoid going hard on the car for the first 500 miles or so, and beyond that, it's going to make extremely little difference what you do. Chances are before these engines even leave the factory they're put on a dyno and run to seat the rings.

Ash2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC 2016 Touring
I have a block heater installed from Honda dealer itself. I usually plugin my car when goes below -10c real for around 4 hours before start and let the car idle for 2 min max. Then drive slow i.e. not more than 2500 rpm for first couple of kilometers and temperature comes to ambient in gauge. Block heater helps a lot. I have lived in northern Ontario for 6 years and it works good.

OP
OP
NorthernEX-T

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for everyone's input, I will plug in the block heater for sure!
Sponsored