End of 2018, wherefore art thou 2019?

ebw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Acura RDX, 14 BMW 650i, 09 Aston Martin V8V, 73 Ford Maverick, 47 handbuilt racer
Country flag
This weekend I had two dealers tell me Honda has finished building the run of 2018 CTRs.
Can anyone confirm this?
This then begs the question When will we see the 2019s, and will they have any changes?
Sponsored

OP
OP

ebw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Acura RDX, 14 BMW 650i, 09 Aston Martin V8V, 73 Ford Maverick, 47 handbuilt racer
Country flag
Just being super nitpicky here but "wherefore" actually means "why" not where ;) So why is a 2019 a 2019 is... actually very deep indeed.

To your actual question, no clue sadly.
Good point. I was just looking for an excuse to squeeze in a Shakespeare quote. I should have pretended I was lamenting the end of the 2018 run ("Why must you be here, 2019 model year?") but no, I just didn't put enough thought into it. Thanks for pointing it out so others don't repeat my mistake.

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Haha, sorry to be that guy, but who knows, maybe others don't know what it actually means :)

Seeing build dates for Sept as 18 models makes me speculate we won't see 19 CTRs until early next year but that's just a guess, no actual industry knowledge of any sort.

On my phone and can't see details, are you waiting on the 19s to buy one?

OP
OP

ebw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There is one in my preferred color coming to my dealer at the end of September and I am contemplating buying that versus waiting for the 2019. Knowing if there are any changes would make it a much easier decision.

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was in that same spot back in late June. I didn't think my '18 would be in before mid-August and thought, why not just wait for '19? I still don't think there's much more "new" info now than back then, it's all just speculation. All I can say is trust your gut. If you can get the color you really want in an '18, I'd say go for it, you may not get the same luck with a '19. But that's still just a guess. I wish you the best of luck, and hope you get whatever makes you happiest.

Reactions: ebw

gee-dubR32

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GOLF R, 2019 AEGEAN BLUE CIVIC TYPE R
Country flag
This weekend I had two dealers tell me Honda has finished building the run of 2018 CTRs.
Can anyone confirm this?
This then begs the question When will we see the 2019s, and will they have any changes?
I was told by a dealer that 19's are being built and soon will be on their way. No real details concerning updates. Hoping we at least get parking sensors. Don't really care if exterior is updated because it has grown on me. I've been waiting for a while...

Driveitlikeustoleit

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lada
I was told by a dealer that 19's are being built and soon will be on their way. No real details concerning updates. Hoping we at least get parking sensors. Don't really care if exterior is updated because it has grown on me. I've been waiting for a while...
I noticed that you are currently driving what most people would say is the direct competition to the type R, the Golf R, both in the hot hatch segment.
Just curious if you are happy with the Golf R, plan on keeping it or selling/trading it in for a Type R?

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
What I was told by the dealer I am going through is they'll be receiving them in the coming months (this was about a month ago)

Sup_Devil

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Pilot, S2000, 2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have a deposit on a 2019 Championship White with a build date in early November for late December early January delivery. First 2019's were being built in the first week of October.

gee-dubR32

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GOLF R, 2019 AEGEAN BLUE CIVIC TYPE R
Country flag
I noticed that you are currently driving what most people would say is the direct competition to the type R, the Golf R, both in the hot hatch segment.
Just curious if you are happy with the Golf R, plan on keeping it or selling/trading it in for a Type R?
Plan on keeping the Golf R. Love it. Plus it’s our family “minivan”. It’s DSG. The 2017 Golf R replaced a Harvey flooded 2013 Golf R. We also lost my wife’s GTI in the same flood but have waited to replace the second car. Had not considered Honda since my 90’s prelude and my ‘88 CRX Before that. But the Type R is clearly something special and a driver’s car from all the information I’ve reviewed.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
I have a deposit on a 2019 Championship White with a build date in early November for late December early January delivery. First 2019's were being built in the first week of October.

that is really odd. They started building them a week ago and the Honda website still shows the 2018 CTR.....

Andjoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - CW #19431
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There has only been an internal memo to dealerships (in Canada) indicating ETA of 2019 CTR's with no changes noted except a change from RR to SGP.

Honda has yet to officially announce the 2019 Civic Type R in any of they marketing or website, they've only done this for the Sedan and Coupe.

Last edited:

Frackz

First Name
Snoop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2018 Audi RS3
Country flag
I am in the same boat i wanted a black R and none have been built in the last month. All the dealers around me have Type R sitting on the lot not moving.

White and Red's - 2018's. (this is in toronto)

I was informed last week my build now will be a 2019 unless i want one of the 2018's that is sitting there. To my dealer knowledge no changes, just RR is no longer offered and sonic grey has replaced it.

They expect my build now to finish sometime in January 2019.

Sup_Devil

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Pilot, S2000, 2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
that is really odd. They started building them a week ago and the Honda website still shows the 2018 CTR.....
It is weird. I have a buddy who works in the Swindon Honda plant and he has sent me a pic when the 2019's started coming down the line. No changes except volume knob added and he said something about abs software update.
Sponsored