Electronics problems

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Civic Coupe
Country flag
Hi, I have a 2017 EX-L coupe. I recently had a door ding taken out of the driver side door. Shortly after, my passenger window, sunroof, passenger mirror, and the trunk button on the drivers door stopped working. Also, when I lock the car, it no longer flashes the lights and makes the beep tone, though it does lock the door.

I took it in to a dealer, and had them try and diagnose it. After 45 minutes, they gave up and wanted more money, so I went to the paintless dent shop and asked if they may have disconnected something. They were very helpful and spent more than 12 hours in total trying to diagnose the problem and tried installing new master switches on both the driver and passenger side to no avail.

Recently, the battery (2 months old) has been dying occasionally- not sure if this is related or not.

Any ideas? Thanks
Sponsored

Klamkhowder

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag
I don't have the exact answer for you but when I did a speaker install on my 19 EX, I forgot to plug in the front passenger window switch board after i put all the door panels back on. i had the exact same problem that you are experiencing.

I was surprised to see so many things fail just from not plugging in a board that only has one switch on it, so that must mean that a fair amount of other things are routed through that board for who knows what reason.

so my advice would be to check the plug ends for the board and the connector for damage, and see if you can follow the wires from the plug and spot any damage.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I'd check those fuses before I did anything.

Because we see so many issues that are due to a bad battery; I'd change that next unless you can prove it to be good.

After that... I'd definitely examine everything that had to be fuxxed with for the dent removal.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
I'd check those fuses before I did anything.

Because we see so many issues that are due to a bad battery; I'd change that next unless you can prove it to be good.

After that... I'd definitely examine everything that had to be fuxxed with for the dent removal.

:thumbsup:

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You might consider checking for a parasitic drain.

OP
OP
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Civic Coupe
Country flag
did they pull the door panel and look?
Yes- I went in the first time and they spent about 3 hrs inspecting it all. They also ran a diagnostic via some remote company and consulted with Honda technicians. Since they weren't able to find the cause, they tried replacing both of the master switches, but that didn't do anything.

OP
OP
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Civic Coupe
Country flag
Thanks everyone for your input... I'll give this all a shot and see how it goes.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Thanks everyone for your input... I'll give this all a shot and see how it goes.
The lack of Headlight Flash & Horn Beep is an indication that the security system is not activating - most likely from a door, hood or truck closed switch not making.

I assume when you open a door, you get a door open warning, same with the trunk, so it is neither of those.

Which only leaves the Hood closed switch, which commonly may not close unless the hood is firmly closed and secured.

Also, when the security system is not engaged, the car does not fully "shut down" so battery drain will be higher than when it has, so that may also explain your flat battery issues.

Double check the HOOD is fully closed, and it's "Hood closed" switch is working correctly.

Since there is no Dash indication of an open hood, the only way I am aware to get an indication that it is not closed, is the security system not arming -- which is what you are seeing.

I believe the switch is FAIL ARMED, ie it has to open for the arming to work, (seems backwards, but still)
So if you locate the switch with the hood open, disconnecting one of its 2 wires, it will fool the system into thinking the hood is closed, and if this is the cause of the issues, locking the doors should arm the security system, and the headlight & Horn should flash.

From experience, the hood has to close quite hard and firmly to correctly latch, to enable the system to arm.
I recently checked my oil, and did not firmly close the hood -- it was latched, but not 100% closed --- and I then had the lack of headlight flash, and horn beep, when I locked the car... (did lock, just did not arm the security system)

SirVicksDeep

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
Did you ever find out what it was? My 19 SI started doing this exact same thing last night. I've seen a few videos on YouTube that are saying it's a programming error in the computer system but wanted to know if possibly it was something else.

OP
OP
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Civic Coupe
Country flag
Did you ever find out what it was? My 19 SI started doing this exact same thing last night. I've seen a few videos on YouTube that are saying it's a programming error in the computer system but wanted to know if possibly it was something else.
Unfortunately, no. I contacted Honda America expressing frustration that this was happening to such a young vehicle. They said if I brought it into a dealer and got a diagnosis, they would reimburse for the diagnosis and repair. I brought it in, they started working on it to find the issue, and then two days later I got a call saying one of their mechanics had COVID so they needed me to go pick up the car. Since this isn’t such an urgent issue, I’d like to wait until it feels safer to bring it in.

please let me know if you find anything out!
Sponsored