Electric parking brake problem

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks man. This confirms my suspicions. Civics are the best and any "problem" we encounter is not really a problem. Long live the Civic
I refer to it as "the ghost in the machine" lol Which is why I renamed my car to "she devil" she's been naughty lol
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Exact same thing happened to me ONCE, about 2 months ago, I have not ever used my parking brake either. The dealership checked the computer and no errors, never happened again
Reminds me of the time I got a the 'No Smart Key Found' or w/e message it claimed one night while driving home. Immediately after starting it too lol. Never saw it again... :what:

I understand tech can be buggy, so if there's an "error" that pops up once and never again - I'm not really worried.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Reminds me of the time I got a the 'No Smart Key Found' or w/e message it claimed one night while driving home. Immediately after starting it too lol. Never saw it again... :what:

I understand tech can be buggy, so if there's an "error" that pops up once and never again - I'm not really worried.
I was scared to death about the parking brake one for about 2 weeks, then I got over it LOL

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was scared to death about the parking brake one for about 2 weeks, then I got over it LOL
Yeah, same here! When I saw the 'No Smart Key Found', I figured that was the last time the car was gonna start. It was immediately after a really heavy rain that night, too so I figured that may have played a role?

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, same here! When I saw the 'No Smart Key Found', I figured that was the last time the car was gonna start. It was immediately after a really heavy rain that night, too so I figured that may have played a role?
Could be? Never know, tech is funky

Calico47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Hey

Here's my latest issue:

I got in my car this evening after leaving the gym and started it. I put the vehicle in to reverse but it would not move. The vehicle was beeping and had on the screen "ELECTRIC PARKING BRAKE PROBLEM". The "BRAKE" and "BRAKE SYSTEM" light were lit up on the console.

The thing is, I've driven this vehicle more than 2,000 miles and NEVER used the parking brake button. I know I did not press it when I got to the gym!

I turned the car off, restarted it, and tried again, same problem. I pushed the parking brake button down, restarted the car, and it was fine.

I am POSITIVE I didn't press the parking brake button. I think the "ELECTRIC PARKING BRAKE PROBLEM" is separate from the parking brake button simply being engaged.

Has anyone else had this error show up on their console screen?

I hope it doesn't happen again but with the turbo surging problem (which I've noticed on the highway!!!), I'm concerned. I still need to get that fixed by the dealership...
This actually happened to me yesterday. Went to leave work when the message showed I Have An Electrical Brake Problem..I could not get it to go in reverse or anything. I called Honda Roadside Assistance (another issue)..the tow truck that did show up, said he had responded to 33 other drivers with the same problem. He showed me how to unlock the brakes. However, I'm going back to Honda tomorrow...I've only had the car 3 months.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I feel like are batteries are really cheap and were just feeling tbat down the line. I'm going to go with better battery and see if some of the electrical issues go away. I'll report back if it works!

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
swapped out the battery, haven't had any issues yet. leaving the battery disconnected for 20 min is also a great system reset!

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
haven't had to yet. but my passenger window is very slow going up. but I believe that's a different issue, sence it's constant, and only one window

hondaguy6295

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 crystal black ex sedan
This actually happened to me yesterday. Went to leave work when the message showed I Have An Electrical Brake Problem..I could not get it to go in reverse or anything. I called Honda Roadside Assistance (another issue)..the tow truck that did show up, said he had responded to 33 other drivers with the same problem. He showed me how to unlock the brakes. However, I'm going back to Honda tomorrow...I've only had the car 3 months.
So how do you unlock the brakes if this would ever happen if you don't mind me asking?

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I feel like that happened to me as well. Leaving the battery disconected for 20 min fixed it.

pwschuh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed
Country flag
My car has an electric parking brake problem too. The problem is that it has an electric parking brake. ;)

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
Sorry to bring up an older thread, didn't want to create a new one...my car did this once to me yesterday when leaving work...Turned car off and back on, still there, but was able to push on the brake and turn the parking brake off, then the error went away. Drove home no issues, got home and engaged and dis-engaged the parking brake several times without trouble. I called the dealer and they told me to bring it in to get it checked out. I am going to take it in next Saturday, seems like it might be a fluke, probably fine to drive as long as it doesn't come back on right?

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to bring up an older thread, didn't want to create a new one...my car did this once to me yesterday when leaving work...Turned car off and back on, still there, but was able to push on the brake and turn the parking brake off, then the error went away. Drove home no issues, got home and engaged and dis-engaged the parking brake several times without trouble. I called the dealer and they told me to bring it in to get it checked out. I am going to take it in next Saturday, seems like it might be a fluke, probably fine to drive as long as it doesn't come back on right?
Wasn't this resolved by the recall they did for soft ware update late last year?
Sponsored