Electric Parking Brake Problem 16’ Civic

tqi123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX
Country flag
I get this error when I pull up on the parking brake lever only. The parking brakes engage properly when I turn off the ignition with brake hold on, so my brakes work fine.

I’m able to disengage the parking brakes by pushing down on the lever.

No errors on start and daily driving at all. Error comes on only when I pull the lever.

I’m thinking this is a software issue. Anyone have this issue before? I’m out of warranty, in Canada and confirmed with dealer that there’s no recall on my car.

Honda Civic 10th gen Electric Parking Brake Problem 16’ Civic image
Sponsored

OP
OP

tqi123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX
Country flag
Thanks a lot for the attachment! I think that's the problem.

OP
OP

tqi123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX
Country flag
I went to the dealer today to get the software updated. And it still didn’t work. What else could be causing this issue? It’s the VSA update that they did as per the service bulletin.

OP
OP

tqi123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX
Country flag
I checked the ABS/VSA fuse and it looks good. Tried removing it and the brake hold and emergency brakes don’t work altogether, so the VSA unit may be functioning properly. Emergency brakes are definitely working.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Just thinking out loud here. Have you recently had the rear brake pads replaced? I recall a thread where someone had a somewhat similar issue. Whoever replaced the (rear) pads didn't adjust the actuator/solenoid/sensor thingy. The Honda force had been disturbed.

OP
OP

tqi123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX
Country flag
Brake pads and rotors were changed last year, and haven’t had any issues with them for 10 months. This issue came 2 months ago. I read most of the threads about emergency parking brakes and people say it could be that parking brake button is broken, software issue or stored error codes.

The service advisor didn’t seem too happy that I gave him a service bulletin. He suggested that I get an diagnostic done for $130 before the update. I refused and he continued with the update. I have a feeling that they didn’t follow the service bulletin completely since dtc codes were not cleared and they should have per instructions. I had some code on there unrelated to brake systems that were picked up with my scanner before and after the update. Afterward, the technician kept insisting I get a diagnosis and won’t tell me the error code from their hds.

I’m going to go to another dealer tomorrow for a diagnosis, and make them document the version of the vsa module.

OP
OP

tqi123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX
Country flag
Update - Paid dealer to do a diagnostic and the problem turned out to be a faulty parking brake switch. The technician did a scan and the code pointed to that problem.

I called up my local scrapyards and got the switch assembly (piece with brake hold button and parking switch together) for $50, plugged it in and the emergency brake works! Dealer wanted $180 for the part plus 1.5 hours of labour but will waive diagnostic fee. Only wished that the first dealer told me the problem since they did the scan after the update didn’t work anyways...

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm very happy for you.
Did the dealer install the scrapyard switch ? With 1.5 hours labor ?

Did you know why the parking switch are faulty ? Drop coffee in or ...?

OP
OP

tqi123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX
Country flag
So I installed the switch myself. I had some experience tearing down the centre console from changing bushing and the type r shifter last year.

Im not sure why my switch failed. I don’t think I spilled anything directly on it, maybe just normal usage. The reason I thought it must be a software issue was because I was messing around with the electrical stuff a lot. I installed an after market remote start and also the lanewatch camera so lots of splicing wires and occasionally I’ll get errors if things aren’t connected properly.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is there any electronic circuits with switch unit ? Or it is only switch ?

Any picture ?
Sponsored