Electric parking brake error?

TabsAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
Got this last night on the tach screen after starting the car. I've yet to even use the parking brake on this car, so no idea what it could be referring to. I shut the car down and started it back up a couple times and the error went away.

Anyone else see this?
Sponsored

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Your post is not very specific, but if you are referring to an error on your infotainment screen... kinda like mail, then it's probably one of the many, many known errors with that system - about a number of "problems" with the car. If you are referring to something else, you need to be more specific.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Got this last night on the tach screen after starting the car. I've yet to even use the parking brake on this car, so no idea what it could be referring to. I shut the car down and started it back up a couple times and the error went away.

Anyone else see this?
If you have set the Automatic Brake Hold feature, the Parking Brake is automatically applied when you stop.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Maybe the OP saw one of these (OM p 75):
Honda Civic 10th gen Electric parking brake error? upload_2016-2-19_14-17-44

OP
OP

TabsAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
Maybe the OP saw one of these (OM p 75):
upload_2016-2-19_14-17-44.png
Yes, that was exactly it - it was on the tachometer display, not the infotainment screen. I hadn't been using Brake Hold either.

Brettjod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I just had this tonight. Went to start the car and the brake light was flashing and on the dash it showed a brake error then on the infotainment system it popped up saying there was an error with the brake system. Went away after I restarted the car so who knows what might have set it off. The parking brake or brake hold weren't on either

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had the same thing this morning. I'd never used the parking brake at all previously. I activated/deactivated the brake a couple of times with the switch, and it ended up clearing.

Jeff52.boehm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I just had this tonight. Went to start the car and the brake light was flashing and on the dash it showed a brake error then on the infotainment system it popped up saying there was an error with the brake system. Went away after I restarted the car so who knows what might have set it off. The parking brake or brake hold weren't on either
I saw this message this afternoon. I set the brake then pushed petal and brake button to release it and it went away. This has only happened once.

kwijibodavid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic 1994 how da civic
I had this error when my car had about 2000ish miles it's a lx 6 speed so I didn't get the message but all the warning lights came on like brake system red brake light and power steering light I also had a check engine light. Had the brake issue a couple times before but I decided to take it in the next day when the check engine light came on. Had a code for a knock sensor which came back but they did a reflash on the ecu and it was fine after that but they said the error was caused by the brake light switch (stored code in the bcm) which they replaced hasn't happened since now at 42xx miles

Always

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Other day went shopping in my brand new Honda Civic 2016 EX parked in the covered parking lot. Came back after an hour car wont start got all error messages couldn't release parking brake, foot brake were jammed. Called roadside emergency for tow away to nearest honda dealer. They couldn't figure out why car won't start and brakes wouldn't release. All they did was unplugged the battery and plugged it back on and it worked. I am now worried sick to drive this new car anywhere not knowing what is the problem. Any one with similar experience?

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Other day went shopping in my brand new Honda Civic 2016 EX parked in the covered parking lot. Came back after an hour car wont start got all error messages couldn't release parking brake, foot brake were jammed. Called roadside emergency for tow away to nearest honda dealer. They couldn't figure out why car won't start and brakes wouldn't release. All they did was unplugged the battery and plugged it back on and it worked. I am now worried sick to drive this new car anywhere not knowing what is the problem. Any one with similar experience?
Sounds like the car "thought" the battery was dead. Had anyone "messed" with the battery before this happened (as in a battery reset for the turbo CVT surge issue)?

Always

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Sounds like the car "thought" the battery was dead. Had anyone "messed" with the battery before this happened (as in a battery reset for the turbo CVT surge issue)?
I don't think anyone mess with the battery (not that I know of) and its not a turbo. I guess the dealer did the reboot by unplugging the battery. It did work. From now on I will be carrying pair of pliers just in case I need to reboot the car to start :(

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I don't think anyone mess with the battery (not that I know of) and its not a turbo. I guess the dealer did the reboot by unplugging the battery. It did work. From now on I will be carrying pair of pliers just in case I need to reboot the car to start :(
Concerning if you can't determine the cause - keep looking on the forums for others having similar issues.

Htapal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic ex-t
Having this problem right now as I sit here wait for the tow truck. Any luck finding the root cause? Is it worth jumping the car?
Sponsored