Edmonton and area

teg09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport touring manual
Country flag
Yeah, its that new 2019 white. not sure how different it is compared to the other years. Car is good. Clutch was very odd for me coming from a heavier clutch Mazda 3. Stereo is balls, so I am upgrading some speakers soon. Just need to have some dry weather. That Rev Hang........not sure if I wanna risk Hondata over my warranty for that yet.
Yea I’ve always found Honda’s really easy to learn on or to the lighter side having previously owned a WRX (stiff as a board). The rev hang is kinda annoying and I know both hondata and Ktuner can eliminate it and do a few other tweaks but I’m also Leary of warranty. Didn’t think 2019 had a new white just that they charged for the premium white colour.
Sponsored

Dharmaboy

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe white
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Funny enough I actually test drove a WRX before testing the Civic Si. I was torn as I liked the WRX better but fuel economy won in the end. I was getting a car starter but then I opted out of that due to fuel dilution issues this motor has for us cold weather winter folk. I will just hop in a drive it. Have you had any issues with dirty intake valves yet? Dealership wont even comment on if I put a catch can in if they would void my warranty....thanks guys lol

teg09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Funny enough I actually test drove a WRX before testing the Civic Si. I was torn as I liked the WRX better but fuel economy won in the end. I was getting a car starter but then I opted out of that due to fuel dilution issues this motor has for us cold weather winter folk. I will just hop in a drive it. Have you had any issues with dirty intake valves yet? Dealership wont even comment on if I put a catch can in if they would void my warranty....thanks guys lol
No mine has been in for the recall and I’ve also had my AC condenser entirely replaced so far under warranty. I don’t know about the intake valves as I’m sure I’d have to do some investigating on that one but I wouldn’t be surprised honestly with this engine.

Dharmaboy

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
These cars are not meant for short hops even worse than other cars. GDI engines and short hops are not a good mix. I take mine on the Henday as much as possible and keep idling to a minimum until it gets to operating temps.

teg09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anyone know what days they meet at UC on gateway or times? Kinda feel like getting out now that the rains kinda died down

OP
OP
conbrio

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback 6MT SGP sport touring
Country flag
How did you guys (and gals) with Civics fair up in Edmonton during that bone-chilling week of -40C cold? I managed fairly well; however, there was one day that seriously made me wish I had all-wheel drive. I was leaving Kinsmen one evening around 630pm, and traffic was, for some reason, still quite heavy. Leaving Kinsmen you have to go over the Walterdale Bridge, and then after that, the dreaded 105 St hill! The extreme cold that evening made that hill nearly impossible, and as luck would have it, traffic was at a crawl, so forget momentum trying to save us. At one point, I came to a dead stop on that incline. The only way I could get up was to keep it in first gear, VSA off, and just spun like a mofo at over 6000 RPM and just going like 12 km/h (probably should've shifted into second gear but didn't want to lose momentum!). Eventually I made it up the hill, probably due to just sheer determination, and I'm sure the tires (Nokia WRG4s) helped too.

Other than that, for 99% of the time, I'm good with front-wheel drive only!

teg09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How did you guys (and gals) with Civics fair up in Edmonton during that bone-chilling week of -40C cold? I managed fairly well; however, there was one day that seriously made me wish I had all-wheel drive. I was leaving Kinsmen one evening around 630pm, and traffic was, for some reason, still quite heavy. Leaving Kinsmen you have to go over the Walterdale Bridge, and then after that, the dreaded 105 St hill! The extreme cold that evening made that hill nearly impossible, and as luck would have it, traffic was at a crawl, so forget momentum trying to save us. At one point, I came to a dead stop on that incline. The only way I could get up was to keep it in first gear, VSA off, and just spun like a mofo at over 6000 RPM and just going like 12 km/h (probably should've shifted into second gear but didn't want to lose momentum!). Eventually I made it up the hill, probably due to just sheer determination, and I'm sure the tires (Nokia WRG4s) helped too.

Other than that, for 99% of the time, I'm good with front-wheel drive only!
There definitely times over winter where I miss my old awd platforms. The other problem I think was the fact that I chose cheaper winters and might swap those out down the road. The manual transmission hated the cold but it just made shifting less fun. I often utilize the eco mode button in winter shockingly as it reduces the throttle response and spinning for the most part. As for the VSA I usually leave it off unless conditions are brutal to the point where I’m trying to reduce spin at all costs. Glad you made it up the hill safe

Dharmaboy

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did notice it took forever to heat up properly specially with the slow movement of traffic. Something else I noticed about this car, not sure if it's just me but I have owned Hondas before (80s models of preludes) and it seems the gear shifting in this manual is not as smooth as it could be. Mind you I only have like 12k Km on this car.

OP
OP
conbrio

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback 6MT SGP sport touring
Country flag
I did notice it took forever to heat up properly specially with the slow movement of traffic. Something else I noticed about this car, not sure if it's just me but I have owned Hondas before (80s models of preludes) and it seems the gear shifting in this manual is not as smooth as it could be. Mind you I only have like 12k Km on this car.
This car is my first manual car ever and so I don't really have any other cars to compare it to in terms of the shifter. What I did do, however, was install the Acuity shifter rocker upgrade and Acuity centering spring and those have definitely improved the shifter feel, including the smoothness of the shifts .

Oilers

oilers1166
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Car does not heat up if you let it idle when its freaky cold. The engine just doesnt create a lot of friction inside. Love the FWD in the summer but it's hard to get it going in the winter with no AWD. I got X-Ice tires and have had no problem getting up hills or through deepish snow.
Really considering trading up to an STI for the AWD and extra power but it's consumes close to double the fuel and I'm scared gas is going to hit $2 a liter in the near future.
I really worry about the oil dilution problem when it's super cold.

teg09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The oil dilution is mainly a concern for short commuters. If you never get the car on the highway or out for a while the temps stay lower and it won’t rid the system of some of those issues. From owning a Subaru and two Acura SH-AWD vehicles, yes they have a huge advantage for traction. These are definitely a blast in months without snow but that’s reality and just gotta drive to conditions and such. I just purchased the type R shifter assembly from Honda which is cheap. It costs $75 and I’m doing the acuity bushing upgrade to start. Lots of guys I’ve met and that are joining the community here in Edmonton have the acuity upgrades and love them. The one on a Si is the full customizable and my god is that thing slick! However this one does seem sloppier than most Honda’s I’ve had but it’s the sport where I’ve heard the Si is better. The R supposedly has 20-40% less throw and is a cheap upgrade if you dislike your current one. Best bet would be line up with some of the members on here to see what they have and how it feels. Been trying to post/host events for this and other means

Oilers

oilers1166
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda claims it's only for short commutes but I've heard different from mechanics. I was told to let the engien heat up before driving it or it will blow fuel past the rings and mix with the oil until its warmed up. Nothing that will cause catastrophic engine failure any time soon but will reduce the longevity of the engine over time. Letting the engine warm up in idle does not work in -40 I've left it for an hour once and it was still blowing cold air. Going to start getting my oil lab tested to see how much fuel is in the oil. I'll post updates when I do.

teg09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also for those manual owners out there, there’s a few of us with aftermarket shifters and different setups if anyone’s looking to see/feel the differences

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Little late to the temperature discussion bit mine faired pretty well, definitely dropped temp at any light, but I'm close to the white mud and hendy so my drive to and from work has minimal stops, I let is warm up for a bit with the remote start before driving. It has been good so far.
Sponsored