Earthdreams turbo/vtec/i-vtec?

New2Honda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic hatchback sport
Hi everyone,
Im new here and I recently purchased my first Honda. I have a 2018 civic hatchback sport cvt. I dont know a lot about Honda's.. I wanted to know if the earthdreams 1.5 turbo engine I have has i- vtec or vtec or none of the above.. only thing I found as far as specs was its DOHC. Any help with this is greatly appreciated as Im trying to learn about Hondas. Thanks!
Sponsored

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Hi everyone,
Im new here and I recently purchased my first Honda. I have a 2018 civic hatchback sport cvt. I dont know a lot about Honda's.. I wanted to know if the earthdreams 1.5 turbo engine I have has i- vtec or vtec or none of the above.. only thing I found as far as specs was its DOHC. Any help with this is greatly appreciated as Im trying to learn about Hondas. Thanks!
1.5 Turbo is a non-vtec engine so none of the above.

OP
OP

New2Honda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic hatchback sport
Thanks! I appreciate the info!

Jeezer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 civic hatch ex, '90 civic ef hatch b16a1, '95 a32 maxima vq35de
Country flag
I miss vtec

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is worth a watch. It's from VTEC Academy... (no relation)

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
The L15 is not a VTEC, but it has an advanced form of the "i" portion of the i-VTEC.

"VTEC" is a brand name for variable lift cams. "i-VTEC" is a brand name for variable lift cams with cam phasing (variable cam advance on the intake cam only).

The new Earth dreams motors are direct injection with dual cam phasing. The only I4 motors with variable lift anymore, that I'm aware of, are the K series 2.0L.

The variable overlap of cam phasing is more effective in creating the right power depending on the RPM of the motor. This also allows Honda to dial-in better emissions and fuel mileage because air fuel ratios don't have to compromise for less than ideal vacuum/boost or cam centerlines at any given RPM due to static overlap.

One of the long time goals of OEMs has been to create an engine that can run really lean safely and still be clean, variable cam timing is probably the best thing to arise in the last 20-30 years to get OEMs closer to lean burning engines. Toyota had VVT and VVT-i in the 90's, BMW has had VANOS for decades, Honda has been using intake phasing in production cars since 02. Earth Dreams is just the next logical progression of the technology for Honda.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
There is Variable Timing Control (VTC)
As engine rpm builds, a VTC actuator - controlled by an engine-control unit that monitors cam position, ignition timing, exhaust emission and throttle position - advances or retards the intake cam throughout a range, optimizing engine output and reducing emissions.
Sponsored