e85 and Hondata FlashPro Question

BobbyA

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (PRL Stage 1, Hondata FlashPro, PRL Flex Fuel e85, HardRace Rear Mount, Megan Racing Strut Bar) Wish List: PRL Catted Downpipe, Eibach Pro Springs Kit, Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood & Trunk.
Country flag
2018 Civic Si Coupe: I'm wanting to use e85 in the car and wanted to confirm - is the Hondata FlashPro essentially all I need, to tune the car computer to the new fuel. I am asking because there are a variety of "e85 analyzer kits" out there for an additonal $300-400 but I'd rather save that for a later date and just get the Hondata FlashPro now - if that is all I need??? Appreciate any tips.

From what I've researched, it looks like we can gain in excess of 65HP or more, and for a car that weighs only 2800lbs, approaching 300HP, the "Power to Weight" ratio is remarkable!
Sponsored

Last edited:

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
it's highly recommended to get a flex fuel kit if you go to e85
So you would want a Hondata with a Flex Fuel kit

OP
OP
BobbyA

BobbyA

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (PRL Stage 1, Hondata FlashPro, PRL Flex Fuel e85, HardRace Rear Mount, Megan Racing Strut Bar) Wish List: PRL Catted Downpipe, Eibach Pro Springs Kit, Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood & Trunk.
Country flag
it's highly recommended to get a flex fuel kit if you go to e85
So you would want a Hondata with a Flex Fuel kit
Yeah, I'm curious about that - is the only reason for the additional Flex Fuel Kit ($400-600) to be able to see what % ethanol you just got at the pump (i.e. 85%, 70%, and sometimes in the winter here in VA I think they blend it down to around 60%)

If the Flex Fuel Kit is just to get a reading on the % Ethanol, can't we just use one of those Tester Kits periodically for $15.00 (the glass tube test kit) and adjust accordingly.

What else does the Flex Fuel Kit do, besides get a reading on the % ethanol?? I'm new, learning this so forgive the 20 questions.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Yeah, I'm curious about that - is the only reason for the additional Flex Fuel Kit ($400-600) to be able to see what % ethanol you just got at the pump (i.e. 85%, 70%, and sometimes in the winter here in VA I think they blend it down to around 60%)

If the Flex Fuel Kit is just to get a reading on the % Ethanol, can't we just use one of those Tester Kits periodically for $15.00 (the glass tube test kit) and adjust accordingly.

What else does the Flex Fuel Kit do, besides get a reading on the % ethanol?? I'm new, learning this so forgive the 20 questions.
you could build one yourself for cheaper
with a flex fuel kit, the ecu can adjust real time on how much ethanol you have running.

most people are running around e40(e85 mix with 93)

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
I strongly recommend the KTuner platform over Hondata FlashPro if FlexFuel use is in your interests, for a couple reasons:

1) Hondata allows for several FlexFuel converter inputs, which at first seems flexible and versatile (which it is), but introduces room for error when it comes to many end users on setup.

2) Hondata retains the OEM 18,000kpa direct injection fuel pressure target at full load. Because of this, the effective total flow of the fuel injectors is a bit small. The injector only has a finite amount of time to inject fuel before the spark event, and they don't take advantage of raising the overall system pressure to make the effective size of the injector larger. This leads us to what may be the biggest reason not to use Hondata for FlexFuel...

3) By default, Hondata removes a fairly significant amount of fuel at WOT when ethanol is introduced, in order to attempt to stretch the limited fuel system size. Can the L15 survive leaner mixtures? For a while, sure. But seeing WOT targets at full load in the upper-12's is a bit concerning.

OP
OP
BobbyA

BobbyA

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
you could build one yourself for cheaper
with a flex fuel kit, the ecu can adjust real time on how much ethanol you have running.

most people are running around e40(e85 mix with 93)
Appreciate the info!! I've taken the advice and splurged on a PRL Flex Fuel Kit, it has clean, finished look to it, plus no cutting of the factory fuel lines, it comes with 2 lines on the sensor and the fittings already in there....

I see some folks have preference on the Hondata vs KTuner vs Other? I'm leaning toward the Hondata, it seems to have more Youtube videos and Tech Support.

https://prlmotorsports.com/201615tplugnplayflexfuelkit.aspx#.XAGP02hKiUk

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
I see some folks have preference on the Hondata vs KTuner vs Other? I'm leaning toward the Hondata, it seems to have more Youtube videos and Tech Support.
I replied with a few reasons why you'd want to use KTuner over Hondata with FlexFuel.

OP
OP
BobbyA

BobbyA

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I replied with a few reasons why you'd want to use KTuner over Hondata with FlexFuel.
Question for ya, are you using e85 with the KTuner in your 2017 Civic Si, IF yes, do you just use the e85 at the pump or do you cut it down, dilute it some with gasoline to try to get it to e30 or e40?? How long have you been using the e85 with KTuner and any problems? What settings did you go with (did you use any of the custom tune pre-sets, I think it comes with 4) Appreciate the insights.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Question for ya, are you using e85 with the KTuner in your 2017 Civic Si, IF yes, do you just use the e85 at the pump or do you cut it down, dilute it some with gasoline to try to get it to e30 or e40?? How long have you been using the e85 with KTuner and any problems? What settings did you go with (did you use any of the custom tune pre-sets, I think it comes with 4) Appreciate the insights.
I would take @D-RobIMW 's advice. He is a well known tuner here and has valuable information. When I fill up, I add about 4.5 gallons of e85 and the rest with 93, that puts me right at 37% ethanol. Btw if you're on a stock clutch, you should reconsider adding flex fuel until you can get an aftermarket.
Sponsored