DTS Neural Surround: Your opinions on it?

jshjns15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic Lx, 2014 Accord Lx
Vehicle Showcase
Just trying to figure out what DTS Neural Surround is. I know it has to deal with taking 2 channel input and converting it to 5.1 channel output. Just wanted to see if anyone uses it, and whether or not it sounds better than keeping it off.
Sponsored

tandjent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Cosmic Blue
Country flag
My opinion is that for music it sounds awful. However, I think it works great for podcasts or anything with mostly voice. It brings voices towards the front and center (sort of like a center channel) and cuts down on the bass. Also, FYI, you can turn Neural on and off by touching on the small icon on the Audio display instead of enabling it in Audio Settings. It's a nice little shortcut I found one day.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Been pretty hit or miss for me.
When it's off its way off, vocals vs ish almost entirely, but when it guesses right you get a nice dimentionality.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
It helps with highly compressed signal like Sirius and the wife's iPod as she ripped her music to low quality so she could cram more 80's junk on it.

10genderek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Thought this was strange, went into settings turned on dts, sounded different, then looked at the small neural button next to volume, it was not lit up, pressed it and it lit up, sounded different again, so I can turn on and off neural both ways but they don't match, like it can say off in sound settings but lit up next to the volume button, wondering if I'm missing something?

OP
OP
jshjns15

jshjns15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thought this was strange, went into settings turned on dts, sounded different, then looked at the small neural button next to volume, it was not lit up, pressed it and it lit up, sounded different again, so I can turn on and off neural both ways but they don't match, like it can say off in sound settings but lit up next to the volume button, wondering if I'm missing something?
Probably just bad design, but when it looks lit up that means it's off and when it is white that means it is on.

staged84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic touring
Country flag
I don't like it. It makes music sound hollow. It may be better for classic music and such, but for techno/tech-house dj sets, not so good.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For some song it seems to be ok, but overall it can make vocals sound off. I leave it off. I find this to be the case with most simulated surround sound settings.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
For some song it seems to be ok, but overall it can make vocals sound off. I leave it off. I find this to be the case with most simulated surround sound settings.
I listen to classic rock mostly and it seems to be good for that

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
My opinion is that for music it sounds awful. However, I think it works great for podcasts or anything with mostly voice. It brings voices towards the front and center (sort of like a center channel) and cuts down on the bass. Also, FYI, you can turn Neural on and off by touching on the small icon on the Audio display instead of enabling it in Audio Settings. It's a nice little shortcut I found one day.
I came across the shortcut by accident one day, and had to play around with it a bit to figure out what colour means on, and what colour means off. If memory serves correctly, when the icon is white, it means Neural is on. When the icon is blue, Neural is off.

Ikabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Accord Touring
Country flag
I came across the shortcut by accident one day, and had to play around with it a bit to figure out what colour means on, and what colour means off. If memory serves correctly, when the icon is white, it means Neural is on. When the icon is blue, Neural is off.
Can someone confirm that a white icon
means neural is on and a red icon is off?

OP
OP
jshjns15

jshjns15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Can someone confirm that a white icon
means neural is on and a red icon is off?
I think it depends on your theme. Mine is blue when it is off. So solid color should mean off, and white means on.
Sponsored